Canon 40D Mirror Problems?

EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited October 12, 2008 in Cameras
Hi,

My four-month old 40D died, yesterday. The initial symptom was completely black images. Luckily, I'd already taken half a dozen images that came out as expected, so I knew exactly when the problem started. Even more luckily, I was still able to make images using the Live View option. To me, this means the problem was that the mirror wasn't flipping up during normal exposures.

I tried shutting off the camera and turning it back on, resetting all my painstakingly chosen camera settings, swapping lenses... nothing helped. But Live View still worked, so I was able to keep shooting for another two hours or so, which was good since I'd driven over an hour to get there and didn't have a backup. The camera was still working (sort of) when I left for home, but it was completely dead when I checked it a few hours later.

Since it's only four months old and wasn't abused, I assume Canon will fix it for the price of shipping back and forth, but has anyone else has seen this problem? At the moment, I'm kind of wishing I'd gone with Nikon, instead.

e-Dog
Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Sounds like what happened with mine - I sent mine back to Canon and they reported that the shutter had failed.
    Here's the thread with photos illustrating my problem:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=100217

It's still under warranty so just call Canon and they'll take care of it!
  • EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2008
    Thanks!
    CSwinton wrote:
    Sounds like what happened with mine - I sent mine back to Canon and they reported that the shutter had failed.
    Here's the thread with photos illustrating my problem:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=100217

It's still under warranty so just call Canon and they'll take care of it!
    Yeah, that sounds like it started out the same, at least. Yours didn't completely die, though, did it?

Yep, I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.