EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS zoom ring

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited October 13, 2008 in Cameras
I traded my f/4 IS for a f/2.8 IS. The zoom ring on the 2.8 doesn't feel as smooth as my f/4. Is this normal? It feels—how can I put this—slightly grainy? It doesn't sound bad, it just feels slightly "detented" as though the movement had about a half-dozen tiny detents on its path. Wondering if I should send it to Canon.

Thanks ye DGrin gods.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    I traded my f/4 IS for a f/2.8 IS. The zoom ring on the 2.8 doesn't feel as smooth as my f/4. Is this normal? It feels—how can I put this—slightly grainy? It doesn't sound bad, it just feels slightly "detented" as though the movement had about a half-dozen tiny detents on its path. Wondering if I should send it to Canon.

Thanks ye DGrin gods.

No, that is the way it is: the f2.8 has several 'knobs' that act as stops to keep the lens from freely rotating. The f4 doesn't have these and the ring works via friction.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I just enjoy the solid feel of the focus ring on the F2.8 IS. It gives me more feedback (something like the steering wheel of the a car).

Compare to other L lens and crop lens, it is relatively heavier.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    No, that is the way it is: the f2.8 has several 'knobs' that act as stops to keep the lens from freely rotating. The f4 doesn't have these and the ring works via friction.

Really good to know—thanks.