I think this is sport?

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in Sports
I took a few photos at this horse cross country event yesterday. This is the first of my edits. I was pretty happy with the blur on the background and sharpness on the horse to give sense of movement. Your comments are welcome.

392978101_iA94b-L.jpg

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I agree the horse/rider is very sharp. So, nice job of panning.

This is just a personal opinion though - with the distinct objects of the jump and trees - it is a bit hard on my eyes. In other words, given the horse is moving somewhat slow horizontally the other objects in the frame are not blurred very much - so I get more a sense of double vision if that makes sense. So, while I think your technique was spot on - i.e. great sharpness and exposure of the subject - I'm not sure the pan ends up working for me. But as I said, that could be just me.
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    johng wrote:
    I agree the horse/rider is very sharp. So, nice job of panning.

This is just a personal opinion though - with the distinct objects of the jump and trees - it is a bit hard on my eyes. In other words, given the horse is moving somewhat slow horizontally the other objects in the frame are not blurred very much - so I get more a sense of double vision if that makes sense. So, while I think your technique was spot on - i.e. great sharpness and exposure of the subject - I'm not sure the pan ends up working for me. But as I said, that could be just me.

Thanks John,

I appreciate you thoughts and observations. I had thought the same and wondered if perhaps a slower shutter may have helped and made the blur and more obvious pan blur not quite the same as a moving race car.mwink.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I agree. Maybe the stacked logs are too visual. They take my eyes off the subject. Ditto on your skilled treatment.
    Rags
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Aussieroo wrote:
    Thanks John,

I appreciate you thoughts and observations. I had thought the same and wondered if perhaps a slower shutter may have helped and made the blur and more obvious pan blur not quite the same as a moving race car.mwink.gif
    Or maybe trying to shoot the scene at a 45 degree angle (if that makes sense, think taking a couple steps to your right with the rider heading at you).

I agree with John though, nice job on the pan work, just it might not be what the photo needed to begin wiht.