Newborn/Toddler/family session

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 14, 2008 in People
This is kind of an all in one type session. I'm a little disappointed with some of the images. My flash wouldn't fire at times which caused me a little frustration. I'm also not as comfortable in studio type settings which I think may have caused me some added nerves. The family was so great! I can't to go back in November for their Christmas photos.

392706315_Fp8oJ-L-1.jpg
392705183_DpTVm-L-1.jpg
392747131_8XRXy-L.jpg
392982054_Ue4c6-L.jpg
392981909_WHvkk-L.jpg
392998449_tiA5V-L.jpg
392997942_ciNKB-L.jpg

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Julie
    Six is awesome - really special. On this laptop, her skin looks too pink. Can't be sure but you should check.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    These are cute - I think you managed it well. Numbers 3, 6, and 7 are my favorites.

Is the color cast in the last two intentional?
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    These are cute - I think you managed it well. Numbers 3, 6, and 7 are my favorites.

Is the color cast in the last two intentional?
    no, not intentional Laughing.gif
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    1, 3 and 7
    I like 1 3 and 7. On three the light is a bit hot and blew out the detail on the white blanket. In studio, be especially careful about cutting off fingers and toes.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    I like 1 3 and 7. On three the light is a bit hot and blew out the detail on the white blanket. In studio, be especially careful about cutting off fingers and toes.

I know. I was seriously frustrated with the "studio" portion of it. The family was so great and patient, but I really think I need to stay in the area where I feel led and more creative to be in. I really don't think, at this time, that I am called to shoot in a studio type setting. I think I need to stay where my heart feels at home. Does that make sense? I feel more comfortable in my skin when I'm shooting outside or "life" moments. I do describe myself of more of a lifestyle photographer.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Practice
    Julie -

You did a good job...don't be so hard on yourself. Takes practice to learn - a lot of it. I bet the family loves these.

I know. I was seriously frustrated with the "studio" portion of it. The family was so great and patient, but I really think I need to stay in the area where I feel led and more creative to be in. I really don't think, at this time, that I am called to shoot in a studio type setting. I think I need to stay where my heart feels at home. Does that make sense? I feel more comfortable in my skin when I'm shooting outside or "life" moments. I do describe myself of more of a lifestyle photographer.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I also feel much stronger with outdoor photography, but with babies sometimes indoor is preferable. I recently got the softliter II to put my flash in, and I'm really happy with the results. Here's a shot where I set up in the parents' bedroom with just the one light. Not perfect, but I feel I'm on my way.

390918542_TyMh7-M-1.jpg

391028169_3dGbj-M-1.jpg
    edited October 13, 2008
    I also feel much stronger with outdoor photography, but with babies sometimes indoor is preferable. I recently got the softliter II to put my flash in, and I'm really happy with the results. Here's a shot where I set up in the parents' bedroom with just the one light. Not perfect, but I feel I'm on my way.

390918542_TyMh7-M-1.jpg

391028169_3dGbj-M-1.jpg
    Oh yes.... these look very nice to me. I do have studio lights, I just hate to bring them because there are three of them and a pain. But I told the mom in an e-mail that when we meet again, I will be bringing them.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Oh yes.... these look very nice to me. I do have studio lights, I just hate to bring them because there are three of them and a pain. But I told the mom in an e-mail that when we meet again, I will be bringing them.
    See, I like using my small flash with the softliter umbrella because it's super portable, wireless with my d300 in commander mode, very safe around kids, and I feel like it really makes the most out of my flash. I also have a tight budget right now and couldn't spend a bunch on lighting. I already had the SB600, and the umbrella kit plus bracket was under $80. Just something you may want to look into for portability. I also used it outdoors for school portraits a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, I forgot to mention earlier- nice photos. For the indoor, I like #2 and #3. I almost like #1. The outdoor shots look good.

Caroline
  • AlexanderAlexander Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    I really love shots #1 and #2

On #3, I would have taken the risk of using a much smaller or unobtrusive diaper. Some classic looking linen cloth for example, or none at all.
    Also, the baby's expression is a little compressed, making it look like sister is pushing the head down too much.
    Life is different.