Nitro Fire

MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited October 26, 2008 in Sports
I think I just captured my favorite shot from this season's events. Nitro-methane consumes a cylinder head on this Pro Fuel run at the weekend's race in Rockingham, NC.

391775987_rLhBZ-L.jpg

Comments

• BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    One word.....WOW!!! If this isnt printed poster size and placed somewhere with pride - go do it now!!! What timing!!!! clap.gif
    ...more to come!
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Fantastic shot! Did he crash after that? Looks a little sketchy there!
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Great shot!
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    bike21 wrote:
    Fantastic shot! Did he crash after that? Looks a little sketchy there!

Thanks everyone!

Bike21, nope. He went back, put his spare motor in the bike and ran his 3rd qualifying run to get into Sunday's show. He loves the image (showed him an electronic copy I had on my Blackberry) and he will buy it very large. :D He's a good customer.
    edited October 13, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Thanks everyone!

Bike21, nope. He went back, put his spare motor in the bike and ran his 3rd qualifying run to get into Sunday's show. He loves the image (showed him an electronic copy I had on my Blackberry) and he will buy it very large. :D He's a good customer.

Right on, he looks about to come off the bike there with his leg hanging back like that. Good for him to keep on going!
    edited October 13, 2008
    bike21 wrote:
    Right on, he looks about to come off the bike there with his leg hanging back like that. Good for him to keep on going!

Many of the "old school" fuel bike pilots drag their legs. It's a way for them to balance and shift their weight. Two schools of thought on this, but many of the top guys do it.

378985282_NEkQ4-L.jpg

375129573_ctNcd-L.jpg
  • jopapecajopapeca Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    WOW just in time clap.gif. Fantastic shot.
    best regards
    Paulo Campos

My photos at Flickr
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Wow, talk about a crotch rocket! Great shot!
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    That's a keeper. Plus it goes well with his paint scheme.rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 13, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Many of the "old school" fuel bike pilots drag their legs. It's a way for them to balance and shift their weight. Two schools of thought on this, but many of the top guys do it.

Gotcha, coming from my dirt background it looked a little off. That is cool how they do that thumb.gif
  • DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I think I just captured my favorite shot from this season's events

Well if that one isn't your favorite please post the one that is. Sweet capture.
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    I think I just captured my favorite shot from this season's events. Nitro-methane consumes a cylinder head on this Pro Fuel run at the weekend's race in Rockingham, NC.

391775987_rLhBZ-L.jpg

Definitely an amazing shot!
    So... in case anyone doesn't quite get it... (like maybe me)... will you explain exactly what's happening there? Is that normal to have so much flame? What's that about consuming a cylinder head?
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:

391775987_rLhBZ-L.jpg

Mike,

WOW is right!! thumb.gifthumb.gif

I've been shooting m/c drags for 5 years and thats dead-on sharp and right on the money - you nailed it!!

Right place / right time / right lens / eyes open -yeah, baby!! 10/10!!

Can't tell if back tire lifted from the force?

Consider sending to http://dragbike.com (attn: Brandy - tell her rich56k sent you) for 'photo of the week' (thats after you exhaust all $$ outlets- they don't pay but its world - wide viewers that will totally love it)

CONGRATS!!
    :Dbowdown.gif:D

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Great Shot! You nailed it.
    edited October 17, 2008
    PeterLyons wrote:
    Definitely an amazing shot!
    So... in case anyone doesn't quite get it... (like maybe me)... will you explain exactly what's happening there? Is that normal to have so much flame? What's that about consuming a cylinder head?

Peter,

Not at all normal to have that much flame, unless something is eating itself in the engine.

In this case, it's a nitro-methane burning engine, and that nitro is highly explosive and creates a huge amount of internal cylinder pressure. That pressure wants out by the path of least resistance. Normally, the most often sought "abnormal" path is between the cylinder and cylinder head, as in thins case. Great effort is made to seal that interface, with "fire rings" machined into the head and cylinders, and lots of bolts. In cases like this, the fuel and all the pressure it generates has found some flaw in that interface, and burning nitro-methane has begun leaking between the cylinder and head. That burning nitro consumes the aluminum of the cylinder head, and makes for these spectacular images.

Another such image from a race earlier this season in Gainesville:

266313152_7nn7U-L.jpg

Beautiful to photograph, expensive to repair lol.

And Rich, thanks for the link. I will try that.

Appreciate the comments, everyone!
    edited October 17, 2008
    rich56k wrote:

Consider sending to http://dragbike.com (attn: Brandy - tell her rich56k sent you) for 'photo of the week' (thats after you exhaust all $$ outlets- they don't pay but its world - wide viewers that will totally love it)

CONGRATS!!
    :Dbowdown.gif:D

rich56k

Thanks for the tip. I sent it to Brandi and 10 minutes later it was up as POTW lol :ivar http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=4433&z=7
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. I sent it to Brandi and 10 minutes later it was up as POTW lol :ivar http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=4433&z=7

Mike,

Glad it worked out! :D

A shot like that deserves both recognition and mass consumption! thumb.gif

Congrats again!

-Rich

PS: If you have statcounter you'll probobly see anywhere from 1000-3000 hits/day to your site directly from the 'POTW' link while it's up- and sorry I misspelled her name (it was late)... deal.gif

(if not there's a tutorial here on dgrin and visit http://statcounter.com for the code - it's free and well worth it anyway...)
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Unbelievable thumb.gif
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thats one of the best photos I've seen in a while! Intense!
    edited October 19, 2008
    Todd and CJ, thank you!
  • hogheadhoghead Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Hey Mike,

Great shot! Do you do all the AHDRA events? I was there with you on the starting line in Richmond at the Jim McClure Nationals taking pictures. Best seat in the house! Your shots make me want to buy that longer glass bad!

Take care
    Pentax K10D, K20D body, PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Pentax DA* 300mm f/4, Pentax DA 10-17mm, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, Pentax DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f/4,
    Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8XRDi, Pentax AF-540FGZ flash
    Hog Wild Photography
    edited October 26, 2008
    hoghead wrote:
    Hey Mike,

Great shot! Do you do all the AHDRA events? I was there with you on the starting line in Richmond at the Jim McClure Nationals taking pictures. Best seat in the house! Your shots make me want to buy that longer glass bad!

Take care

Hey Skibo,

I remember you from VA, thanks for the comments! I try to shoot for them when I can. This year I shot Gainesville, Phoenix, Commerce, Norwalk, Cecil County, Richmond, Rockingham, and the Champions Banquet. Many of the "Speed" covers this year were my stuff and most of the T-Shirt graphics images.

I used to be a racer, then crashed hard in Commerce in 2006 and spent a little over a month in the hospital (which was many months shorter than the original prognosis). When I went back and raced some events in 2007 (had to "get back on the horse that threw me" lol), I brought along my camera and shot some images for Bob Malloy in TF, and while there shot some other stuff. Reaction was really cool, and my girlfriend is much happier since there's not much chance of me crashing again at over 125 MPH as a photographer, so I stuck to shooting in 2008.

Not sure what I'll do next year, but with the price of diesel fuel needed to haul a trailer around the country, I'll likely just keep on shooting.

Hope to see you in 2009.