Error 99 on 20 D

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited October 31, 2008 in Cameras
A couple of days ago my 20 D begun to announce a 99 error when using any lens. :cry
One could think it was some kind of wrong connection between camera and lens but it did happen with all the three lens.

The lenses work fine on the 5 D, so the problem is from the camera itself.:cry

I sent it to Canon Portugal and they said it needs the curtain to be replaced and I have to pay 250 Euros (340 US$) for the repair.:cry

I am considering to buy a 50D but I would like you to comment on this 20D problem.

Is the replacement of the curtain going to solve the problem for another 2/3 years ? I wonder ? :dunno

I really didn't feel like spending more money on a camera these days ...

:D:bow:thumb
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    The replacement shutter should be good for as long as your previous shutter lasted. This is the most common thing to break on any DSLR. I have a friend here in town who runs a photo studio on two 20D's that have both had their shutter replaced once. So, fixing the 20D would certainly be cheaper than buying a new 50D. I had my E-500 sensor replaced last year, and it still works great. I say if you love your 20D get it fixed. If you have the money to spend, you could get the 50D. Other alternatives are to buy a used 30D or used 40D. However, when I got my E-500 fixed it came with a warranty, and they cleaned everything, and it worked like new. So, that would support getting the 20D fixed over getting a different used camera.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Thank you Jonathan.bowdown.gif

Anyway I am delaying the repair for some days...

I have been reading about the 50 D.
    It's a great camera but it is more money to spend, and considering I have bought the 5D this year and money doesn't come from the tree of the yard ...mwink.gif

:Dbowdown.gifthumb
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    If you are happy with the 20D, I'd spend the money and keep the 20D. The shutter on those are good for 50,000 actuations IIRC.

The 50D offers a lot of features and resolution but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost or not. I guess it's a personal decision.

So if you are happy with the 20D, keep it. If you want a new toy? Upgrade.
    edited October 13, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you are happy with the 20D, I'd spend the money and keep the 20D...If you want a new toy? Upgrade.

A new toy is always a pleasure as you know... mwink.gif
    But yes, I will keep the 20D.:D

bowdown.gifDthumb.gif
    edited October 31, 2008
    My 20D is ready today. clap.gif

New curtain.
    64.000 shots = 245 Euros :cry:cry = 0,00383 Euros a shot = 313.85 US$ = 0,00489 US$ a shot today, the 31 October 2008.

It would continue to shoot but I don't want to think that I could count on it and suddenly I had no photos, or at least the last one was not there.
    A new life is going to begin for it. clap.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    My 20D is ready today. clap.gif

New curtain.
    64.000 shots = 245 Euros :cry:cry = 0,00383 Euros a shot = 313.85 US$ = 0,00489 US$ a shot today, the 31 October 2008.

It would continue to shoot but I don't want to think that I could count on it and suddenly I had no photos, or at least the last one was not there.
    A new life is going to begin for it. clap.gif
    Considering that you've already spent for the 5D and that you are otherwise happy with the 20D, I think you made a very wise decision (for whatever my opinion in the matter might be worth) to get it repaired rather than replace it with either a used 30D/40D or a new 50D.

Hope the surgery on your 20D goes well and that your camera gets all better soon.rolleyes1.giflust
    edited October 31, 2008
    ...Hope the surgery on your 20D goes well and that your camera gets all better soon.rolleyes1.giflust

Yes. Let's shoot and see ... :D