Lense Question

philliephillie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 14, 2008 in Cameras
My wife has a sigma zoom lense for her pentax slr I was wondering if there is a way we could use it on our Nikon D80? I have no clue about adapter rings and whatnot....

The reason I asked the first question is that we have a Nikkor 80-200 2.8 lense that the focus is fuzzy. We sent it to Nikon and they sent it back with a note parts no longer available. I hate to have to junk this lense it is perfect in every way except for the focus. Does anyone know of anywhere to send it to be repaired? I was going to try to send it to KEH they said there was a good chance they could fix it but I want to have a backup plan in case they can't repair it.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    I moved this to Cameras. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    phillie wrote:
    My wife has a sigma zoom lense for her pentax slr I was wondering if there is a way we could use it on our Nikon D80? I have no clue about adapter rings and whatnot....

The reason I asked the first question is that we have a Nikkor 80-200 2.8 lense that the focus is fuzzy. We sent it to Nikon and they sent it back with a note parts no longer available. I hate to have to junk this lense it is perfect in every way except for the focus. Does anyone know of anywhere to send it to be repaired? I was going to try to send it to KEH they said there was a good chance they could fix it but I want to have a backup plan in case they can't repair it.

Thanks for any help

I'm not sure if they have adapters for that are not (depending on the distance you can only adapt some lenses to others because they won't focus to infinity) but another issue with the D80 I believe, is that it won't meter with any non-Nikon autofocus lens even. I know this is true with my D50, and I think you have to go up to the D200 to be able to meter with non-autofocus lenses.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 13, 2008
    Phillie, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

A good place to start looking for adapters for specific cameras and lens mounts is Cameraquest:
    http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Nikon cameras in particular do not generally make good host bodies for adapting other manufacturer lens mounts because of a longer (than most) flange-mount to focal-plane distance. Pentax lenses, screw-mount/M42 or K-mount, are designed to infinity focus at a shorter than Nikon flange distance so it would not be possible to adapt Pentax lenses to Nikon bodies and maintain infinity focus. Only macro lenses used at close focus distances would be practical and even then there would be no automation possible for either focus or exposure.

Short answer is that if you could find or make an adapter you would probably not find it suitable for many/most uses.

Concerning your Nikkor 80-200mm, f2.8 zoom lens:
    You don't mention which one, Nikon made several which are all good to great optically, but you definitely have to be careful about repairing lenses which Nikon no longer supports. It's like with many older products, at some point the costs of repair and the hassles involved may become more than the actual value of the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • philliephillie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2008
    thanks for the help. I think we will probably get another lense and try to have the one we have fixed.

this is the version we have

AF 80-200/2.8 ED 1 ring, 3 position focus limiter 5+ 200001 serial #'s200887 - 375831 Nov87 - Sep92 175831