I bleed for this place - abandoned power plant

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Landscapes
The last time I went to this place I left with no photos and 3 permanent scars. We got in just fine, but going to a location with a dozen people is always a poor idea. One of the members of our little group thought they were spotted by workers which caused many people in the group to get freaked out. A lot of hide and seek later the 2 people who were driving anywhere near my place bolted for the hole in the fence and were halfway to their cars. @#$@#$@# if I want a ride home I better catch up to them. In a rush I put my shin through a section of rusty cut fence which sucked.

A tetanus shot and a year later I went back. Things were far more laid back this time, access was a bit trickier but was still pretty easy. Nursing a sprained wrist and a hangover from the previous day's activities I wandered though the back parts of this massive power plant trying to find a way in to the massive turbine hall of goodness. Crews for Transformers 2 recently finished up filming here as a parting gift they cleaned up the graffiti here and welded the crap out of almost every doorway making it tough to get to the turbine hall. Eventually I found a way in and once I was in I felt... nothing. Never have I been so uninspired and lacking enthusiasm for a location. I longed to get back to this place and not that I was here all I wanted to do was head back to the car and get home. I fought those urges and took photos but in the end I'm still rather "meh" about them and feel I need to go back and try, try again.

Welcome
welcome2.jpg

Choose your adventure
choose.jpg

Don't fall
dont-fall.jpg

Down the hall
hall.jpg

Overhead
overhead.jpg

Slacking on the job
slacking.jpg

The steps that everyone takes this exact same photo of but here's mine anyway
steps.jpg

Worms
worms.jpg

My humps
humps.jpg

Roof
roof.jpg

Conveyor to nowhere
convey1.jpg

Seeking control
control2.jpg

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Good story, i was imagining the mad dash to the cars. rolleyes1.gif Sorry to hear you got hurt though, I hear that tetnis shots are the worst.

I really like the last 2 images a lot. The control room looks like a bunch of faces which is pretty fun to wander around with my eyes.

Next time you go, maybe take some gells for your flash and have some fun? Some of the rooms I think could be really ineresting with strange color flash areas ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 13, 2008
    I work at running generating station so your photos make sense to me. The difference is I try to sneek OUT of the place...
    You have some great photos there.
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Good story, i was imagining the mad dash to the cars. rolleyes1.gif Sorry to hear you got hurt though, I hear that tetnis shots are the worst.

I really like the last 2 images a lot. The control room looks like a bunch of faces which is pretty fun to wander around with my eyes.

Next time you go, maybe take some gells for your flash and have some fun? Some of the rooms I think could be really ineresting with strange color flash areas ne_nau.gif

these were all with a tripod, i've never tried a flash when exploring.

i do think it would look cool, a guy out west does that at night and his stuff looks amazing: http://www.lostamerica.com/

i have an SB-600 that just sits there, I'll have to give it a shot next time. :)
    captain78 wrote:
    I work at running generating station so your photos make sense to me. The difference is I try to sneek OUT of the place...
    You have some great photos there.

rolleyes1.gif

that's pretty cool that you work at a generating station. i love all the machinery and think i would have fun working in one. we have a small power plant on campus that i was able to tour part of w/ permission a while ago and boy that place was noisy. so different from the total silence in these closed ones.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Seems like great place for shooting. Great pictures
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Love #3 and the brick wall. 'Worms' is cool too.
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Great shots.

Pix of the dead always depress me. I'm sure you thought of the people who worked there and the families who supported themselves there, as your steps echoed in the space.

A 21st Century ruin.

Rags
    Rags
  • summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Amazing place, thanks for the pics.thumb.gif
    And yes boy the stories it could tell.
  • b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Amazing shots. Had I known you were going back I would have gone with you. :D I didn't get nearly enough shots the first time we went.

Glad to see you on dgrin.

Jeff

BTW I've got my images up on my site, interesting how two people see the same place differently.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Nice! Great location, awesome shots!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"