Nikon 300 f/4

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited October 16, 2008 in Cameras
Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying a Nikon 300 f/4 (non af-s) and I was wondering if anyone here had some hands on opinions of it. From what I can gather the optics are great, build is great, but some say the AF is really slow. Since my main use for this would be to shoot college level sports I do need decent AF. I'm not looking for it to be as fast as the Nikon 70-200 or Nikon 300 2.8, I know those are both crazy fast lenses!

Also, if you could possibly compare it to another lens (I have sigma 70-200 hsm, nikon 50 1.8, nikon 85 1.8, nikon 10.5 fisheye, and nikon 24-120 3.5-5.6 vr) so if you happen to have one of those aswell and could compare that would be great!

ps. I'll be using this on a D2x so the AF motor is pretty beefy! :thumb

Thank you!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 13, 2008
    If you are talking about the Nikkor 300mm, f/4 IF-ED, yes, it has a reputation for being a bit slow. It does have a range limiter switch so you can improve AF speed by using the limiter. You can also improve the keeper rate by pre-focusing and constantly bumping the AF to further reduce the focus seek times.

I think it would be marginally useful for rapid action sports but the D2x should improve the keeper rate with good technique.

I would not recommend it for sports mounted on the D50 you mention in your profile.

The Nikkor 300mm, f/4D ED IF AF-S is a more appropriate sports lens IMO, but I have seen our local newspaper crew using the Nikkor 300mm, f/4 IF-ED for (American) football on Nikon D2H bodies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Thanks, that's more or less what I was expecting. The vast majority of the time the focus point wont be moving from infinity to 10 feet or anything like that. I've shot basketball with a 50 1.8 and the focus isn't super fast on that but it was still able to keep up. The af-s does seem to be a better lens for me but I can't find a used one anywhere and you just can't beat the $500 price tag of the non af-s.

And no, this lens will pretty much live on my D2x, I carry the D50 for crowd stuff now thumb.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    I've used both of these on my D2Xs (which I believe is the same motor as your D2X). I think the optics are the same for these lenses. I certainly could not tell the difference in IQ. There was a dramatic difference in AF speed. I used them side by side for shooting soccer. The AF-s version outperformed the non-s version even on a D2Xs body. The beefy AF motor helps, but there is still no comparison.

The difference in price is about $300 (if you can find one). I think it is worth it, but I've been out of college for a few years.rolleyes1.gif

Whatever you do, don't try a 300mm, f2.8. The AF on that lens is unbelievably fast. Without a doubt the fasted focusing lens I own.
    edited October 14, 2008
    Oh I've made the mistake of trying a 300 2.8 already. I've also had the opportunity to shoot with a 500 f/4 and 400 2.8. As much as I would love to have any (or all) of those lenses I doubt I'd even qualify for a loan to buy them let alone have the money to do it out right! eek7.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Here's a guy selling an AF-s version with the necessary kirk replacement collar. The original Nikon collar was an embarassment!

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=193251
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    The AF on the 300 f/4 should be fine for sports shooting. I've been getting fine results with it on action captures.

342966144_AYySB-L.jpg

342966301_URFLf-L.jpg

352717838_PpSaF-L.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 14, 2008
    Thanks Harry it's good to know the focus isn't THAT bad wings.gif

I found a af-s version going for a decent price so I'm going to see if I can pick that up, if not I'll go for the non af-s thumb.gif
    edited October 14, 2008
    I would hold out for the AF-S.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 16, 2008
    Well I just won an auction for an af-s version of the lens, so I hope to have it pretty soon clap.gif
    edited October 16, 2008
    UT Scott wrote:
    Well I just won an auction for an af-s version of the lens, so I hope to have it pretty soon clap.gif

Congrats. I hope you enjoy taht lens as much as I do.
    Harry