seven

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited October 15, 2008 in People
My son turned seven awhile back. I attempted a photo shoot and struggled greatly with overhead/overcast light. It should have been perfect conditions, and I just could not find good spots and positions where his eyes were getting the light. This was one (out of a gajillion) that I was pleased with.

393808528_RXKZs-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Looks pretty good to me! Glad you posted this photo since I need to take my kids school pictures soon. Your background reminded me of a great place to take them (old train depot).
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    My son turned seven awhile back. I attempted a photo shoot and struggled greatly with overhead/overcast light. It should have been perfect conditions, and I just could not find good spots and positions where his eyes were getting the light. This was one (out of a gajillion) that I was pleased with.

393808528_RXKZs-S.jpg
    This is very nice - I think you did quite well!

As to the others that you're not sharing .... When mother nature doesn't give you the light you need (but comes close), just throw your flash on your camera, dial down the FEC, and suppliement the ambient. Now the eyes of your model will get all the light they need and you'll get the catchlights in the eyes that you want.

Again, very nice photo - one for the wall I would think!
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Awww - that one is perfect!! What a great shot... Happy Birthday to your son!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    This is very nice - I think you did quite well!

As to the others that you're not sharing .... When mother nature doesn't give you the light you need (but comes close), just throw your flash on your camera, dial down the FEC, and suppliement the ambient. Now the eyes of your model will get all the light they need and you'll get the catchlights in the eyes that you want.

Again, very nice photo - one for the wall I would think!

The frustrating part was that I was doing just that! This one even has fill flash. I kept putting him in positions where I thought the overhead light would be blocked a bit by trees, used fill flash and still got eye socket shadows. He is standing underneath a cantilevered roof here, which finally gave me what I was looking for. I think my light-reading skills have improved, but they didn't seem to be working that day. Ah well...we got one or two. thumb.gif
    Elaine

edited October 14, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Awww - that one is perfect!! What a great shot... Happy Birthday to your son!
    Thank you very much, Angela!
    Elaine

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    This is a PERFECT shot!! clap.gif
    edited October 14, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    This is a PERFECT shot!! clap.gif

You are very kind! Thank you very much!
    Elaine

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Perfecto Mundo! 7 huh....by the time he's 18...he'll have the whole model thing nailed...better sign him up for agencies Elaine.....who knows, you might make enough to buy more camera gear! thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Perfecto Mundo! 7 huh....by the time he's 18...he'll have the whole model thing nailed...better sign him up for agencies Elaine.....who knows, you might make enough to buy more camera gear! thumb.gif
    If not that much, then maybe enough to live on during your retirement years!rolleyes1.gif
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Handsome boy and beautiful picture.
    LadyTX
    edited October 14, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:

Thanks so much, Swartzy! Ah...the lure of camera gear...I'm just hoping to get my current gear figured out by the time he's 18! rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

edited October 14, 2008
    If not that much, then maybe enough to live on during your retirement years!rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Ain't that the truth!
    Elaine

edited October 14, 2008
    Looks pretty good to me! Glad you posted this photo since I need to take my kids school pictures soon. Your background reminded me of a great place to take them (old train depot).

Thanks for your comments! An old train depot does sound like a great spot. Have fun!
    Elaine

edited October 14, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Handsome boy and beautiful picture.

Thank you, LadyTX!
    Elaine

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    I think it is great! You really only need one GREAT photo. The others are just practice :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Gorgeous photo! My he is getting big! I love the depth of field and lighting on this one (his pose and expression are great, too!) The only thing I would do before printing huge is maybe clone out some of the OOF green patches in the background. Looooove the bokeh in this one though...wow. Was this with 50 1.4?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited October 15, 2008
    I think it is great! You really only need one GREAT photo. The others are just practice :D

Thanks! I like your perspective! :D
    Elaine

edited October 15, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Gorgeous photo! My he is getting big! I love the depth of field and lighting on this one (his pose and expression are great, too!) The only thing I would do before printing huge is maybe clone out some of the OOF green patches in the background. Looooove the bokeh in this one though...wow. Was this with 50 1.4?

I think this looks like it was taken at least two years into the future! My husband declared him entirely too grown up looking here. eek7.gifD

This was actually taken with the 85 at 2.2. I seriously considered cloning out those green patches. The one close to him was bright green, so I burned it down to better match his shirt. I'll definitely give it go and see what I think. I'm sure it would look more clean that way, if I can do it without botching the look of the bokeh.

Thanks a bunch, Lynne! Love your new avatar! :ivar
    Elaine

edited October 15, 2008
    Here's a cleaned-up, 8x10 version:

394908445_EAUxj-L.jpg
    Elaine

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Great shot Elain! Love the "moody" colors on this one. clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Very nice Elaine.....thumb.gif

I am wondering....
    If you had overcast light...why were you seeking shade? Usually any camera angle that will have the face tilted up some to the sky.....any at all...should light the eyes well with no flash.
    edited October 15, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Great shot Elain! Love the "moody" colors on this one. clap.gif

Thanks much, Marina!
    Elaine

edited October 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Very nice Elaine.....thumb.gif

I am wondering....
    If you had overcast light...why were you seeking shade? Usually any camera angle that will have the face tilted up some to the sky.....any at all...should light the eyes well with no flash.

Well...that big soft box in the sky just seemed to be aiming the light directly down, causing shadows in the eye sockets and under his smile lines, no matter where I was or what position we were in or if I used flash or not. ne_nau.gif I was warming up on him for the "sweet family" shoot I've shared a bit of here, and I tell ya, I was in a panic! I couldn't make anything work right, and I'm sure it was stupid mistakes. Thankfully, I managed a bit better with the family than I did with my son.
    Elaine

• lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    This is such a great shot. The colours, the pose, the lighting, background, everything. You have a really good model!! :)

-- Lisa P.