393086109_GpaqL-L.jpg

4:
393947857_jnZmA-L.jpg

All of them are here:http://gpimages.smugmug.com/gallery/6227957_pW4LX

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Some observations (to be helpful for next time):

#1: Too often seniors are shot in foliage backgrounds.....which can work well if done properly. A more appealing method for this shot would be take mid to head and shoulder shot using at least an 85mm blurring the background. The full body shot with all the mess of trees, leaves, twigs, then that stump simply makes for an awkward pose and conducive portrait.

#2: Maybe my preferrence but I hope I never see another senior shot next to a tree. Here, it looks as though he's trying to surprise someone. The pose isn't relaxed and natural but more like, "hey, haha, here I am".

#3: This shot is saying, "Follow me up this hill". Again, a bit awkward and his hand in the pocket looks unnatural for someone walking.

#4: Too much flash (note the shadows there at the pant leg). Also color balance has over orange. The pose could work but a better background would suffice. The red shoes draped over his chest distracts from the portrait.

Good attempts. Focus and exposure are also good. Work on color balance in post. Find complementary backgrounds that work well with your subject. Make the subject stand out........in other words, it's all about him, so eliminate anything that would take away from a nice portrait. Another thing that will help, once you place him in a pose..walk around looking through the viewfinder...go high, go low...see what looks good...you'd be surprised at the difference just a couple feet to the left or right can do for "the look".
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    the 1st 2 need a tighter crop and more background blur imo.

I kinda like what you are trying to do in the last shot but the flash is over powered (needs diffuser) and the grass is not looking so good.

I would try for more simple neutral backgrounds
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Thanks guys....I appreciate the detailed feedback.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    One thing I thought when I looked at these was that he didn't look comfortable/natural. I took a look at your gallery with the other pictures of him and I liked how he looked more comfortable in some of the shots with the guitar. :)

-- Lisa P.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    Good job for the first time! Seniors are hard aren't they?

The only things that jump out at me off the bat is the lack of good bokeh and too much centering for such full body shots (and from a woman's vision, too much crotch with spread legs facing front mwink.gif maybe angle a little to the side more. Also as said in another comment is too much foliage. There isn't enough variation.
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!