My camera is broken? Need advice :(

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 14, 2008 in Cameras
I just bought a Tokina 11-16mm for my Canon xti. Five minutes after it arrived on my doorstep, I started playing with it indoors. The AF, however, quit functioning correctly all of a sudden after I pointed it a dark part of my room. I could hear it hunting for the focus, but there was no indication that it found one. I thought that maybe I got a bad copy.

So I put it away and took out my Tamron 17-55mm.

After another 5 minutes where my Tamron's AF failed to find a focus (I never had a problem with it before), I took it near the window and tried to focus at something by the light. Nothing. All it did was whir and grind and hunt for a focus.

So I put that away and took out my Canon 50mm f1.8. When that failed to focus, I started to have the grim feeling that perhaps it's my Canon xti that all of a sudden went bust.

Have any of you had similar experience? Any advice on how else I could figure out what the problem is? I've had the Xti since February and never had a problem with it (same with the Tamron and Canon lens). I don't even remember if there's a warranty for the camera -_-

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    Do try one of the lenses in manual focus mode to see if the AF section can lock at all. Possibly something has fallen on the AF module so also set the camera to cleaning mode and see if you can view the AF module for obstructions or possibly a thread or something similar. If you do see something, try blowing out the camera with a blast of air.

Remember to cancel the cleaning mode when done.

If necessary reset the camera by removing both the main battery and the backup battery and let the camera set for a couple of hours.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    If you are selecting all point AF, try the center AF point and try it again in good light. If that's not working either then, something is wroing IMO.

I'd consider sending it in at that point.