Options

RAW of JPEG

picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited October 14, 2008 in Finishing School
I have a question that maybe somebody can help me with.
Which type file pic should I download to smugmug for the customer to see? For instance, I am shooting a raw and jpeg shot. Which one should I download and which one should I "edit" before loading? Not all of them, gosh sometimes I shoot 45 or 50 shots. Especially sports action shots. Most of the time there is that ONE absolute perfect shot! I do have a 2 day waiting on printing to give me time to customize the pic (black/white, etc.) before it is printed. Has anyone ever used Microsoft Picture It for editing? If so, how do they look once they are printed?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited October 14, 2008
    picmom wrote:
    Which type file pic should I download to smugmug for the customer to see? For instance, I am shooting a raw and jpeg shot.
    Raw files can't be uploaded to smugmug galleries, but they are a good starting point to creating the .jpg files that you'll need to upload.

Here's the help page listing the types and sizes of files that you can upload to your galleries for viewing - http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos.

--- Denise
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    picmom wrote:
    I have a question that maybe somebody can help me with.
    Which type file pic should I download to smugmug for the customer to see? For instance, I am shooting a raw and jpeg shot. Which one should I download and which one should I "edit" before loading? Not all of them, gosh sometimes I shoot 45 or 50 shots. Especially sports action shots. Most of the time there is that ONE absolute perfect shot! I do have a 2 day waiting on printing to give me time to customize the pic (black/white, etc.) before it is printed. Has anyone ever used Microsoft Picture It for editing? If so, how do they look once they are printed?
    thanksheadscratch.gif

Well you can't post a RAW image to Smugmug for display. The difference between RAW and JPEG is that RAW is the data from your camera, unprocessed.

The camera can take that same data (RAW), and process it into a JPEG if you ask it to, by setting it to save as JPEG. It will render than JPEG according to settings you can change in the camera (Canon calls them Picture Styles).

OR you can decide to make those settings later, yourself on your computer, on a picture by picture basis, by editing the RAW file, and exporting or saving as a JPEG to be uploaded to Smugmug.

I used Picture IT 10years ago, but it was not an accomplished photo editor then, not sure what it is now. Most on these forums use Lightroom, Photoshop, PaintshopPro, that kind of thing. if you are on a budget, try the software that came with your camera, or check out Picasa from Google.
  • Options
    picmompicmom Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    If I can shoot it as JPEG to start with, what would be the advantage in shooting it RAW and then changing it to JPEG?

cmason wrote:
    Well you can't post a RAW image to Smugmug for display. The difference between RAW and JPEG is that RAW is the data from your camera, unprocessed.

The camera can take that same data (RAW), and process it into a JPEG if you ask it to, by setting it to save as JPEG. It will render than JPEG according to settings you can change in the camera (Canon calls them Picture Styles).

OR you can decide to make those settings later, yourself on your computer, on a picture by picture basis, by editing the RAW file, and exporting or saving as a JPEG to be uploaded to Smugmug.

I used Picture IT 10years ago, but it was not an accomplished photo editor then, not sure what it is now. Most on these forums use Lightroom, Photoshop, PaintshopPro, that kind of thing. if you are on a budget, try the software that came with your camera, or check out Picasa from Google.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    picmom wrote:
    If I can shoot it as JPEG to start with, what would be the advantage in shooting it RAW and then changing it to JPEG?

As cmason said above..."you can decide to make those settings later, yourself on your computer, on a picture by picture basis."

Think of your RAW file as your uncooked, unfinished and undeveloped meal that you are in charge of cooking to your own taste, with your own ingredients. JPEGs are your precooked meals out of the freezer section. :D (Your camera has done the prep and cook for you.) They might be fine as you're learning to cook, and they might be fine in a pinch (or even quite often), and they might be faster and more convenient, but they don't give you the latitude that starting from scratch does.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography