NY Fall Foliage

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Landscapes
Went to Syracuse last week and grabbed a few FF shots. I was fortunate to have perfect weather and peak foliage conditions.

Skaneateles Lake

393494868_EUe7s-L-2.jpg

Pleasant Valley Red Barn

393409313_BrsXU-L-1.jpg

Syracuse

393474384_XfaYP-L-1.jpg

Pleasant Valley Red Barn II

393411754_RxCei-L-1.jpg

393416181_jPc2g-L-1.jpg

and a few Canadian Geese headed south

396051645_sh6UH-L-1.jpg

Comments

• philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2008
    I really like the 5th one with the brick wall, and the color in the trees just pop! thumb.gif

Philip
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    philipw wrote:
    I really like the 5th one with the brick wall, and the color in the trees just pop! thumb.gif

Philip

Thanks Philip, it was so beautiful last week in Upstate NY iloveyou.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    5th and 6th are my favorite
    lovely place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Dan, I'm jealous!!

I was born and raised in Syracuse but never had a camera good enough to capture the fall scenes.

Nice job capturing the essence of my home town!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    alright! hey #2 really have a nice flow to it...

whats all this FF talk? you purchased a new FF?
    Aaron Nelson
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 15, 2008
    Splendid series, Daniel. These almost make me miss my formative years on the east coast. BTW, I have friends on Lake Skaneateles. It's a beautiful place.

-joel
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nice shots Dan clap.gif
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
    edited October 15, 2008
    5th and 6th are my favorite
    lovely place

Thanks so much Awais.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Very nice landscapes and colors. Certainly looks like a beautiful area.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited October 15, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Dan, I'm jealous!!

I was born and raised in Syracuse but never had a camera good enough to capture the fall scenes.

Nice job capturing the essence of my home town!! thumb.gif

I know what you mean Chris. I lived there for years in a previous life and never took a shot. Nor did I appreciate the beauty. That's what photography will do for you.

Thanks for the kind words. thumb.gif

Dan
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    1, 6, and 2 are my favorites. I love the composition of 1. Too bad for shot 2 you had a bluebird day because clouds would have really added to the interest of a nice image. Who can't like #6 - very well executed. thumb.gif

3 holds little interest to me - my eye can't settle on the subject. 5 has some beautiful colors and an interesting vantage point. Too bad the sun is casting such a hard shadow against the brick wall.
    edited October 15, 2008
    alright! hey #2 really have a nice flow to it...

whats all this FF talk? you purchased a new FF?

Thanks Aaron. FF=Fall Foliage. I don''t see a FF camera in my future, but I do believe I will be adding the 50D to my arsenal. wings.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    How did you manage to get every single goose in focus AND front lit AND in a perfect flying-V? That's just not fair :D

Fantastic colors, I talk a big game about how the northwest has under appreciated colors in the fall, but the north east just rocks as these photos and a few others on this forum have shown.

And you're so right about how once you start taking photos you begin to appreciate things more and more (and likewise, regretting all the missed opportunities from before). I've found this to be true with landscapes and wildlife both. It's not a cheap hobby, but it's a good one :D

And if you're looking for the FF camera, next time you see Aaron Nelson on the edge of a cliff down there in the SW taking photos just push him off and you'll have his 5D (that's what he gets for stepping in front of my tripod at Mt. Baker) rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 16, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Splendid series, Daniel. These almost make me miss my formative years on the east coast. BTW, I have friends on Lake Skaneateles. It's a beautiful place.

-joel

I used to live there myself Joel, and as you know, days like this are rare, but I was lucky to get it at its best. wings.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Nice work Dan. Now get out of town before it snows....:D
    Rags
    edited October 16, 2008
    thdizzy wrote:
    Nice shots Dan clap.gif

Thanks Todd. thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I used to live there myself Joel, and as you know, days like this are rare, but I was lucky to get it at its best. wings.gif
    Really? I know folks at both ends of the lake. The Coffins, and the Laings.
    edited October 16, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Very nice landscapes and colors. Certainly looks like a beautiful area.

Thanks very much David :D
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    2, 5, & 6 really do it for me. thumb.gif
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
    edited October 17, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    1, 6, and 2 are my favorites. I love the composition of 1. Too bad for shot 2 you had a bluebird day because clouds would have really added to the interest of a nice image. Who can't like #6 - very well executed. thumb.gif

3 holds little interest to me - my eye can't settle on the subject. 5 has some beautiful colors and an interesting vantage point. Too bad the sun is casting such a hard shadow against the brick wall.

A bluebird day wings.gif I had never heard that. I was so excited about how beautiful it was, but you are certainly right. Some clouds would have helped the photo. I love this hobby wings.gif Seriously though, thank you Travis for your very instructive and helpful comments. clap.gif
    edited October 17, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    How did you manage to get every single goose in focus AND front lit AND in a perfect flying-V? That's just not fair :D

Fantastic colors, I talk a big game about how the northwest has under appreciated colors in the fall, but the north east just rocks as these photos and a few others on this forum have shown.

And you're so right about how once you start taking photos you begin to appreciate things more and more (and likewise, regretting all the missed opportunities from before). I've found this to be true with landscapes and wildlife both. It's not a cheap hobby, but it's a good one :D

And if you're looking for the FF camera, next time you see Aaron Nelson on the edge of a cliff down there in the SW taking photos just push him off and you'll have his 5D (that's what he gets for stepping in front of my tripod at Mt. Baker) rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Ron, for the kind remarks on the flying V. This was 1/400 at f/6.3 ISO 200 with my 300. I used a single point of focus and somehow managed to keep them all in decent focus.

There were about a 100 geese in this marsh, and within 15 minutes, 4 flocks took off, about 3 minutes apart. They circled above, then formed a V, and then headed off. I was lucky to get one V. I think good photography is 50% luck (25% good and 25% bad rolleyes1.gif ).

Dan
    edited October 17, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Nice work Dan. Now get out of town before it snows....:D

You got that right.thumb.gif I'm back in Paradise now, but Upstate NY was temporary paradise wings.gif
    edited October 18, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Really? I know folks at both ends of the lake. The Coffins, and the Laings.

I lived off Kasson Rd near Marcellus, but of course would visit Skaneateles often.
    edited October 18, 2008
    Cato wrote:
    2, 5, & 6 really do it for me. thumb.gif

Thanks very much Cato :D