lightroom equivalent settings

notableonenotableone Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 18, 2008 in Finishing School
On smug mug, one set of custom Photoshop settings suggest:

levels, blue channel at 0, .90, 255

saturation, red channel, saturation at -7

What are the equivalent settings in Lightroom?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    I do not understand this question.

Can you rephrase it, or explain what exactly you are asking?

What do 'settings' in Smugmug have to do with settings in Lightroom?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I do not understand this question.

Can you rephrase it, or explain what exactly you are asking?

What do 'settings' in Smugmug have to do with settings in Lightroom?
    OP is talking about a suggested setting he found somewhere on SM. There are no direct equivalents in LR. Best to get the the DNG Camera profiles installed and then setting the Camera Calibration to the one you prefer for your camera, set a preset for what you feel is the most pleasing settings for your uses. You may fine Adobe's new Camera profile basic choices work for you. A Beta2 wet is due to come out soon, we are told by Eric Chan a LR Adobe tech involved with the profiles, as he posts it on the Adobe LR User to User fora.
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited October 16, 2008
    You are saying this is in reference to Camera Profiles?

If one is editing their own camera profiles, I would hope one clearly understands what one is trying to accomplish. Otherwise, I think most of us are better off using the profiles provided by Adobe or the OEM.

I do use the Adobe beta profiles downloaded from here ( in both ACR and LR2), and think they are better than the original profiles from Adobe prior to ACR 4.4 - Not sure what this has to do with Smugmug though

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    I was talking about the download set, not baking your own. They can be set as defaults per camera and you can alterthem some to ones own likes in LR (with care) or the DNG Profile editor, read up on how first at the LAB tutorial before attemting and try at your own risk. one can always reinstall teh downlaod set.

I have not actually played with this myself, though know those who have.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    There's no equivalent. LR uses a linear encoded workflow for processing using ProPhoto RGB primaries. Photoshop uses a gamma encoded workflow for any number of color spaces. In theory you could get the values if you built a TRC 1.0 modified ProPhoto RGB working space and checked the values, but I suspect these recommendations (which are simply a very rough starting point anyway) are not based on this color space.

0, .90, 255 without an associated color space is simply meaningless anyway!
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    notableone wrote:
    On smug mug, one set of custom Photoshop settings suggest:

levels, blue channel at 0, .90, 255

saturation, red channel, saturation at -7

What are the equivalent settings in Lightroom?

If I understand the question properly, I think this discussion has gotten far too technical and we can offer some more meaningful help here.

Many Lightroom controls do not work the same as Photoshop controls. For example, Lightroom can't do a levels operation on the blue channel and a saturation operation on just the red channel.

If you are trying to generate a similar effect in Lightroom, we'd have to understand more about what you were really trying to do and where you got this advice.

The levels adjustment on the blue channel is just pulling the midpoint of the blue channel down some. That's going to warm the mid-tones (reducing blue which we perceive as warming) while not affect the darks or highlights much. If this is a cookbook setting that you read somewhere, then you are probably better off just reading about white balance and learning how to set good white balance both in the camera and in the Lightroom white balance settings.

Your second operation is reducing the color intensity of the reds. This you can do in Lightroom by going to the Develop mode, the HSL/Color settings and then reducing either the saturation or luminance for the reds depending on the image. I wouldn't recommend this unilaterally on all photos, but if you have some pictures of intense reds, particularly if they are slightly overexposed, this can help you see more detail in the red areas.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Your second operation is reducing the color intensity of the reds. This you can do in Lightroom by going to the Develop mode, the HSL/Color settings and then reducing either the saturation or luminance for the reds depending on the image. I wouldn't recommend this unilaterally on all photos, but if you have some pictures of intense reds, particularly if they are slightly overexposed, this can help you see more detail in the red areas.

Very handy (actually more on Orange, little with Red) with the various wide exposure latitude images I took at the Shootout (specifically sunset at Arches). It is much better to do it here than using contrast, and quicker than pulling it into PS. I've also done it in the past with blue/green/yellow on shots with a lot of grass or foliage. Makes the detail pop out, and gives excellent transitions between various portions of the image which were just 'green'.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited October 18, 2008
    I agree, a lot of the rock facing I shot are very red, and profit, occasionally, with a small decrease in the luminance in the red channel in LR.