Options

Vermont Foliage trip report

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited October 19, 2008 in Journeys
After a lot of anticipation for my first vacation in over a year and a lot of prep work on the internet trying to scout out locations to shoot, my one day Vermont trip has come to a close. Thought I would post the trip report here.
I started off at White River Junction and headed on Rt 4 west by Taftsville then Woodstock. Saw my first covered bridge pretty quickly:
394399210_W4BPx-M.jpg

As you can see, the day started off a bit overcast...
I also learned quickly that the online foliage reports are not very accurate as this area was now past peak despite reports that it would be peaking this week.
394400543_iZwa4-M.jpg

Then headed up Rt 100 to get to Moss Glen Falls. I had previously found a site that rated waterfalls in New England and set up the trip to hit three of them. That site is: http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/bestof.php
Unfortunately, the August floods destroyed the observation point and I had to make due with shots from the road:
394402518_zLwvh-M.jpg

The stream nearby had some great color reflecting and the polarizer helped out a lot:
394404074_9HvSh-M.jpg

From there, I returned on Rt 100S and headed West on Rt 125. First stop was Texas Falls. Unfortunately, floods had caused damage to the observation deck here too. I did hike upstream to get to the opposite side and was rewarded for my efforts:
394404781_ixvUp-M.jpg

394406782_ozrnS-M.jpg

One other issue that came up was that most streams were fairly dry and these falls were probably running at half their normal power.

From the falls, it was time to head back on Rt 125.
394408799_2qjeV-M.jpg

Happened upon the Breadloaf campus of Middlebury College:
394409421_ysZwe-M.jpg

I then headed south on Rt 7 and turned off at Rt 53 to head into Lake Dunmore. I made my way around the lake and ended up at Branbury state park. Here the colors were at peak and I was thrilled to find some fine foliage examples:
394411565_rKRMx-M.jpg
note: no adjustment made in PP to color, vibrance, or saturation!

394419472_4kiUc-M.jpg

394410471_6NZUN-M.jpg

This area has a waterfall as well - the Falls of Lana. I headed in with gear but no water or any idea of where to go - not a good combination it turns out! I found the falls but hated the vantage point so I headed lower...and lower.
394421882_wr8FH-M.jpg

394422808_QDfiT-M.jpg

I had to scale some impressive rock formations to make it back out. On the way back, I was treated to not one but two snakes along my path (I do NOT like snakes).

Back around to lake and happened upon this guy:
394423850_Fuhpa-M.jpg

Then got lost and ended up at Fern Lake for my favorite shot of the day:
394424416_cWg2J-L.jpg

I then headed up Rt 73 to make my way back home and kept looking in the rear view mirror for more ideas. Couldn't pass up this one:
394425893_hTnMX-M.jpg
The light was starting to turn a bit...

And this was the last of the trip:
394427384_Zwy3a-M.jpg

All told, I drove about 470 miles and hit all three waterfalls. Lessons for next year are to go at least one week earlier - Columbus Day weekend is probably the mark of the end of peak season. Also, need to figure out how to scout out the waterfall observation decks beforehand to make sure they are intact.
I'm going to try for the Maine coast tomorrow if weather (and the wife) allow.
Look forward to hearing any comments/critiques about these shots.
E

Comments

• Options
    mactollmactoll Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    E.,
    All those places look very familiar.
    I agree with you that Fern Lake shot is a beauty.
    Altho I like the biker shot too and those flaming trees.

There is still the possibility that this weekend on the Cape we find some nice color. I was in Connecticut this past weekend and the colors were pretty close to perfect there.
    Mactoll
  • Options
    mactollmactoll Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Also...If this week's challenge was a Robert Frost poem instead of a Poe poem you would have an entry with the guy working in his yard.
    Mactoll
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Ah yes Falls of Lana, back when I was on Rescue went to many a rescue call up there. glad you made it ok.
    I live in Salisbury about 1/4 mile from Lake Dunmore.
    Nice shots.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    Now you're scaring me - and I didn't take my cell phone either.... I can easily see how someone could get stuck down there and, with the sound of the falls, not heard from for a while! Glad I was able to make my way out.
    E
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    I sprained my ankle more than once there before I was on rescue.mwink.gif
    Didn't need rescue but it was a tough hobble out.
    Hubby was on rescue too, there is a road(so to speak) that goes up to Silver lake. Eventually we smartened up and took the 4wd truck and equipment part way up which sometimes made it easier.
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Beautiful series of shots!!
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008