Plain language review of 50D

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited October 20, 2008 in Cameras

Comments

• slrshooterslrshooter Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    But they didn't do an in-depth review. Just hit the highlites of the specifications. No mention of the focusing problems.
    Norm (SLRShooter)
    Nikon shooter since 1965
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Sounds like a very nice camera.
    No mention of the focusing problems.

I know 3 people with the 50D and none of them have any focus problems of any sort. What is the problem you are refering to?
    RON
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited October 15, 2008
    Schnauzer wrote:
    ... I know 3 people with the 50D and none of them have any focus problems of any sort. What is the problem you are refering to?

I just went through the few formalized reviews and could not find any indication of autofocus issues on any broad scale. If anything the formal reviews have been pretty encouraging regarding autofocus.

Our own Andy has the Canon 50D and has not reported any problems.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    slrshooter wrote:
    Hmmm. Once I split the AF from the shutter button, I used it for about 600 shots on the recent Arches Shootout. Mainly as a backup for my 5D but also with a 70-200 f/2.8 or 300 f/4. I was seriously impressed with the AF subject acquisition and quick shutter. I also used it with the 100 f/2 out of the box with no issues I could discern.

That said I have not had a chance to 'pixel peep' since there is no ACR for the 50D. I have loaded DPP on a PC, but haven't had a chance to review in detail the images. All I was able to do was chimp when taking them.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    slrshooter wrote:

headscratch.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Hmmm. Once I split the AF from the shutter button, I used it for about 600 shots on the recent Arches Shootout. Mainly as a backup for my 5D but also with a 70-200 f/2.8 or 300 f/4. I was seriously impressed with the AF subject acquisition and quick shutter. I also used it with the 100 f/2 out of the box with no issues I could discern.

That said I have not had a chance to 'pixel peep' since there is no ACR for the 50D. I have loaded DPP on a PC, but haven't had a chance to review in detail the images. All I was able to do was chimp when taking them.
    ACR 4.6 came out and should support the 50D
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/?promoid=BPDEK
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Our own Andy has the Canon 50D and has not reported any problems.
    As do David (jdryan3 - 600 frames) and I (3,500 frames since the moment I got it)- no focus problems what so far.deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 15, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Oh Lord, finally... Hopefully ACR 5.x update will come out soon too!
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:

Only with Preliminary (unofficial) support per John Nack

He also references Tom Hogarty on what 'unofficial' means (see below for link)
    Nikolai wrote:
    Oh Lord, finally... Hopefully ACR 5.x update will come out soon too!
    Posted by Tom Hogarty on Lightroom Journal (referring to ACR 4.6) -
    Q: Will that be the version included in CS4 or should we expect something totally new?

A: [Camera Raw 4.6 is a release for Photoshop CS3. There is typically a full version update with each major release of Photoshop. -TH]
    So you will have to await the actual release of your beloved CS4! In the meantime check out this page for Julieanne Kost and ACR5 Adobe TV and PDF Features links. BTW - The CS4 Suites are now shipping, just not the standalone products yet.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited October 16, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Only with Preliminary (unofficial) support per John Nack

He also references Tom Hogarty on what 'unofficial' means (see below for link)

Posted by Tom Hogarty on Lightroom Journal (referring to ACR 4.6) -
    Q: Will that be the version included in CS4 or should we expect something totally new?

A: [Camera Raw 4.6 is a release for Photoshop CS3. There is typically a full version update with each major release of Photoshop. -TH]
    So you will have to await the actual release of your beloved CS4! In the meantime check out this page for Julieanne Kost and ACR5 Adobe TV and PDF Features links. BTW - The CS4 Suites are now shipping, just not the standalone products yet.
    I downloaded and installed ACR4.6 last night, so finally I could see my 50D RAW files in CS3 Bridge:-) clap.gif I got my retail copy of CS4 today, will install tonight and see if its ACR5.x supports 50D, too. If not I presume it will be a matter of few short weeks, or even days until it does.
  • arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    No focus problems here
    Nikolai wrote:
    As do David (jdryan3 - 600 frames) and I (3,500 frames since the moment I got it)- no focus problems what so far.deal.gif

I've had it for just over two weeks and shot two nights of low-light concerts, plus a wedding. Near-flawless performance on the focus. In the low light I was shooting with a 17-85 f/4-5.6, so my lens wasn't particularly fast. Performance was excellent (probably about 1500 shots so far).