Options

Lightroom 2 - changing "Date Taken" in exif - batch

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited October 16, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi everyone,

I just realised today that I never changed my camera's time back to my local time after my holiday in California.

Unfortunately that means 2 months (yeah 2 months! :rolleyes ) of photos have the wrong date taken exif

I know how I can batch edit the NEF files - using say PhotoInfo on the Mac - but even when I've done that Lightroom seems to have the original - read wrong - date taken still

How can I update all the NEF files and get Lightroom to recognise the new date taken?

Thanks all

Cheers, Jase

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I just realised today that I never changed my camera's time back to my local time after my holiday in California.

Unfortunately that means 2 months (yeah 2 months! rolleyes1.gif ) of photos have the wrong date taken exif

I know how I can batch edit the NEF files - using say PhotoInfo on the Mac - but even when I've done that Lightroom seems to have the original - read wrong - date taken still

How can I update all the NEF files and get Lightroom to recognise the new date taken?

Thanks all

Cheers, Jase

One a file has been imported into LR, it gets the info from it's database, not from the file itself. When I need to correct the time on NEF files, I do it right in Lightroom. In the Library View, go to Metadata/Edit Capture Time. You can do it on a single file or on thousands of files by just selecting them before the command. It very conveniently lets you shift the time by a particular amount (usually what your clock was off by).

Note: I believe this is one of the very few operations where LR will actually write to your RAW files. The operation is not undoable.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    One a file has been imported into LR, it gets the info from it's database, not from the file itself. When I need to correct the time on NEF files, I do it right in Lightroom. In the Library View, go to Metadata/Edit Capture Time. You can do it on a single file or on thousands of files by just selecting them before the command. It very conveniently lets you shift the time by a particular amount (usually what your clock was off by).

Note: I believe this is one of the very few operations where LR will actually write to your RAW files. The operation is not undoable.

Thanks for the info - I'm going to try it out tongiht.