Options

Recent Engagement Session

NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited October 23, 2008 in Weddings
Well, I haven't around much in a while, mostly because school finally started back up on me, but I recently had a chance to do an e-session and I thought I would share a few photos.

Feel free to comment and critique, I believe I take it well :) (if not pm and let me know I'm being an idiot :) )

1.)
2923489172_e4183ce841.jpg?v=0

2.) I have become a fan of shadow shots... I know the hearts are cheesy, but I like em...
2919227106_7dca1ef7a6.jpg?v=0

3.)
2919225438_8fb05696ac.jpg?v=0

4.)
2919223254_d722cee6c1.jpg?v=0

5.)
2919221980_b9c0e1a978.jpg?v=0

6.)this and the next have kinda funky angles. I'm not sure if it really worked how I wanted or not. Proportionally I know it makes their heads look huge, but is it forgivable in cuteness? or not so much?
2919221656_960d2720b7.jpg?v=0

7.)This one is driving me nuts that I missed his bottom couple of fingers. ARRGH. ahh well.
2919221344_98dcf202ba.jpg?v=0

8.)They really liked this one... the somewhat racoon eyes are annoying. Well, that's what I get for not using the off camera flash with waning light.
2918375233_6416cd8f75.jpg?v=0

Ahh well, there they are. There are obviously more, but I'm trying to keep the photo count down. If you have suggestions or critiques please let me know.
Thanks,
-Nate

Equipment
Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
Tampa Bay Wedding Photography

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Wow what a scenery! I wish I would have had such a beautiful background at my last shoot / which was in some woods ...

I think you got some great ones!! clap.gif

#1 is very cool ... uhm ... that's a brave couple rolleyes1.gif I like the b&w too!
    #2 ... haha, I always have a cheesy heart one in my set as well ... some couple go crazy for it, so I think it's good if you have at least one in your set mwink.gif
    #3 love that shot ... kind wish the couple would be where the valley is / so all the lines point at them ... but nevertheless it's an awesome shot
    #4 I like the paparazzi feeling in that one ... if you have more of those you can make a nice mini-series
    #5 cute
    #6 ... hmmmmm ... yeah, not sure about the angle. I've seen shots like this before, but I think something is wrong with this one ... maybe you're too close to them? headscratch.gif
    #7 Nice shot, don't worry about the cut off hand too much ...
    #8 really like this one too.

All in one I think it's a nice set. For next time I would recommend to go with plain colors for the clothes (no stripes / makes him too dominant in the photos) ... I would also try to get more close-ups (like #7 - maybe more on the eye-level). I'm sure you got enough of those but you didn't post them ...

I'm sure they are very happy with the set! Congrats iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    Agnieszka: Thanks for the comments I quite appreciate them. Definitely some things to think about. I haven't done much with series of shots, but I could probably do one with similar shots I have of them (like in number 4). Something to try to plan out on my next shoot.

For those when you do a series, do you often photoshop them into one image? or do you just leave the say 3 shots all separate?

It was interesting with I had actually told them prior to wear plain clothes with no patterns or symbols on it. (I also usually suggest to cover as much skin as possible as it brings more focus to the eyes) I told them muted colors and earth tones are usually really good. But they came and he was wearing his brightly striped tee shirt and shorts. Ahh well.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    I like keeping the photos separate - but I guess everybody likes it different mwink.gif ... Actually in your case I think I would do a nice panoramic photo (with no people) as a background, and then maybe do a little series of 3-4 photos (all in a line) ... that would look pretty. Like this you could show the landscape + have close-ups of the couple! mwink.gif

Oh, I hear you with the clothing rolleyes1.gif experienced that before - many times ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    ooh, I really like that idea of doing the panorama and putting the photos in a line in it. I'll have to try that. :)
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    ooh, I really like that idea of doing the panorama and putting the photos in a line in it. I'll have to try that. :)

thumb.gif
  • Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    Angie has already said most of what I was going to say.

I think in your close-ups you need more bokeh. They are too "in focus" front to back. Both these images would be much stronger with bokeh. I don't know how proficient you are in PS but you could try doing in post.

Overall, a good set but I just want to emphasize the clothes deal. You need to really stress it because that guy really put a downer on the set. For example the shot on the falls is nice but it becomes totally different if he's just wearing slacks and loafers. Put him in kahki's and solid button down that matches her or is white and this set instantly goes up several notches.

And the number one reason this is so important is that they will show off these images to several people and no one will be the wiser or even think about it. But show the same photos with both of them smartly dressed and you will a ton more oohs and ahs. Everyone will still like the photos as is but you would get so much more, wow! factor and of course it would be directly associated with your name.
  • Options
    KD5NRHKD5NRH Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    #7 looks like an early maternity shot to me; fine if that's what you're going for, but maybe not what you wanted to convey.
    Blog - updated irregularly
    Photos - still under construction, suggestions welcome
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Crockett: Yeah, I definite could do it in post, and it may be stronger with a shallower DOF. I guess partially I just did in in too high of a F-stop (I think they were primarily at f/10). Also, I partially felt that the background was boring enough that it didn't take much away from the photo at large.

Also, like I was saying with the clothing, I was definitely not very happy with his choice of clothing, particularly after I had just told them what to wear. I completely agree with the statement that a smartly dressed couple will get the extra oooh factor. At least he didn't come in with a band t-shirt or something like that.

I'll tell ya what... if you would like to try the gaussian blur, or adding the blurred background to any of these photos feel free. I don't think I'm good enough that the job I would do at it would actually improve the photos.

KD5NRH: lol, you're right I guess it does look a bit like that, with his hand on her belly. Is that something you would suggest never doing (hand on the belly) or is there a better way of doing it that doesn't give that impression.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
  • Options
    KD5NRHKD5NRH Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    KD5NRH: lol, you're right I guess it does look a bit like that, with his hand on her belly. Is that something you would suggest never doing (hand on the belly) or is there a better way of doing it that doesn't give that impression.

Hard to say; I can't think of a way to do it without implying pregnancy, but there are plenty of people who have made things work in ways I wouldn't have expected until I saw it.
    Blog - updated irregularly
    Photos - still under construction, suggestions welcome