I think I can....Maybe not so much??

afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited October 16, 2008 in People
I've been so inspired the past two weeks lurking in this forum. Wanting to try new things and really making a mental commitment to learn more about photography and try to grow. Ok slowly..grow slowly..cause equiptment is too expensive to grow fast huh? So, I was supposed to go out today with my daughter and take prego belly shots. We got rain and were pushed inside. I just got some backdrops in and discovered why they were marked down so low...also, I have no lights...I guess I should get some and learn how to use them huh?? I've really have done more stuff outside with natural light.

They say one learns most from their greatest failures. In that case today was "the bomb"! The only reason I'm sharing these is cause I love my model and I think her smile is contagious. SO, I hope she makes you smile too.
maternity126.jpg

maternity068.jpg

maternity031a.jpg

"Alice in Wonderland"
Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/

Comments

• S4perS4per Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    congratulations on the upcoming addition to the family :-)

I really like the last one there..captures good emotion IMO.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    First - Welcome to the DGrin family!clap.gif

You're off to a very good start and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

These three photos - not loving the first one so much, but the other two. Wow completely different story.

#2 - Love the pose and her very open expression. This photo just needs a little PS TLC (some curves for contrast, burn some of the foreground, boost saturation a touch - nothing to major) and this one will pop right off the screen. I've been looking at this photo for five minutes and really not liking the watermark - finally figured out that Emma is the name of the child D'oh. I think it's cool how the 'e' is cocked just a little. Nice touch.

#3 - OK, this converstion is very well done. I think I would boost the whites a touch but that's about all I would do. If you have an opportunity to re-shoot this one, I might suggest you get a 100w or 150w tungsten table lamp and place it between your model and the background and bare-bulb it (she'll hid the lamp from the camera). This would provide some light on the background and provide some beautiful rim-lighting effect on her - the result being that she will be much better seperated from the background. Oh, to do this, you might have to decrease your shutter speed a bit - could mean that you'll have to do this in "Manual" mode but that's an easy thing to do.

Given your quite excellent results with your limited equipment list, I would love to see what you could produce with some proper lighting gear.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    I really like the last one as well. The pose is really nice and I like that it's in B&W. :)

-- Lisa P.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Lovely job on the photos. Try giving them a little boost in Photoshop.
    LadyTX
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback guys--I will continue trying. I will say Scott, that the first photo I put up was a joke..she's my lovey so that crazy face does make me laugh.

I have been using a different photo editor/ a cheap version I have and am preparing to buy an actual Photoshop program. I'm still doing research on that, I want to make sure I buy something I will not outgrow in short order, but also I don't want to overbuy on this kind of program either.

Thanks again!!!

Alice
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/