Ni Hao Everyone!!

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited April 30, 2004 in Holy Macro
Some recent photos...

A couple of guys reading the paper...

3515970-L.jpg

A very strong mother crosses the street...

3515965-L.jpg

A couple walks along...

3515968-L.jpg

And a crying, CRYING child...

3546695-L.jpg

Zaijian!!

Comments

• SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    Ni Hao! And (hope I recollect this correctly), xiouxiou! (Thank you?)
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 20, 2004
    These are great. I espeically like the couple walking and the kid
    crying.

These little slices of life are wonderful.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2004
    Close Seamaiden, xie xie. Thanks! (But then again, it's different depending on the dialect. In Shanghai it's Sha ya.)
    edited April 20, 2004
    Thaks Ian - new avatar?
    edited April 20, 2004
    A pretty girl..

3515972-L.jpg
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    A pretty girl..

3515972-L.jpg
    Lovely shots as usual, wonderful Damon....
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2004
    Glimpses into the Days of life
    damonff wrote:
    Some recent photos...
    A couple of guys reading the paper...
    A very strong mother crosses the street...
    A couple walks along...
    And a crying, CRYING child...
    Zaijian!!

3515970-L.jpg
    Damon,
    As always, I thoroughly enjoy the slices of life in your world.
    The two well groomed older men reading the newspaper from behind the glass on the public billboard, evokes a feeling of a different time, hands clasped behind their backs, one clutching a flier, staring intently at the words on the written page. It is the page itself that show us, full force that we are in a different world... At least, for me.

3515965-L.jpg
    The woman carrying infant child and her produce, daughter clinging at her "shirt tails," so different and yet so much the same. I like the depth of field, it's just out of focus enough that we can't make things out clearly, and yet we can well see the cyclists, scooters and cars all sharing space on the same street. One cyclist in the far right with what appears to be a trunk on the back of his bicycle. I find myself surprised at the wide sidewalks. Since the streets are not very busy, in my minds eye, I see this as early morning...
    3515968-L.jpg
    I can really appreciate the expression of the couple walking. Sure that I've shared that look myself, when in unfamiliar territory. Looking for something elusive in the distance. I like the way she holds his arm, there is a comfort in the closeness of the two.
    3546695-L.jpg
    And the exasperated look on the mother's face. Hasn't every parent been there, as the child cries for all it is worth. Mom just wants it to end...
    Thank you for sharing the days.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited April 29, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    A pretty girl..

3515972-L.jpg
    Damon,
    I like the expression on the little girls face, the set of her arms... But I found the flash of yellow above her head distracting, and thought, perhaps if the image was pulled in, just a bit...
    Just my thoughts...
    I remain,

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited April 30, 2004
    You're right Ginette, it looks better without that random yellow thing. Did you use a healing brush there??

Thanks for the kind, thoughtful words.
    AltPro wrote:
    Damon,
    I like the expression on the little girls face, the set of her arms... But I found the flash of yellow above her head distracting, and thought, perhaps if the image was pulled in, just a bit...
    Just my thoughts...
    I remain,

ginette
    edited April 30, 2004
    Clone Tool, not the Healing Brush here
    damonff wrote:
    You're right Ginette, it looks better without that random yellow thing. Did you use a healing brush there??

Thanks for the kind, thoughtful words.
    Damon:

No healing brush, I save the healing brush for blemishes, or broader areas with similar detail. (It's great for softening aged skin, sort of like laser resurfacing.)
    Whenever I am working on an image, I work on a 600 resolution PSD document, creating a layer for correction. For areas like this, I magnify the area so that I can see the individual pixels and then using the clone tool, sample and change up to four pixels at a time. I look back at the original often, and when I am satisfied, flatten and save as a PSD, then convert & save as Jpeg. Voila. Took less than 2 minutes, start to finish.

I find that the Healing Brush picks up too much from the surrounding areas for a tight fix like this.

As always,
    ginette
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2004
    Ginette, what is the benefit of first saving the file as a PSD, before converting it to a jpeg?

As ever, your srvnt,
    Sid.
    :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 30, 2004
    Why save as PSD file instead of Jpeg
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginette, what is the benefit of first saving the file as a PSD, before converting it to a jpeg?

As ever, your srvnt,
    Sid.
    :D
    Sid:
    That's really a great question.... And fairly simple to answer.
    Jpeg/JPG is a compressed file
    Everytime you open, change or modify and then save a Jpeg document it gets "re-compressed." During this compression pixels are lost, hence detail is lost, "degraded," which reduces significantly the quality of the original document, and therefore the final print.
    Since a PSD file does not compress the image, you are able to open and save it as often as you like without damage to the original file.
    It's a priceless bit of useful information.

That's the quick explanation... If you want more I'll try to ammend...
    Humbly,
    ginette

P.S. When I save my images as a Jpeg, and then decide to change them, I open that Jpeg, convert to PSD, Copy the layer, make the change and then save again as a Jpeg with slight name change:

ex. Dreams-01.jpeg becomes
    Dreams-01-a.jpeg