Options

Fish Eye lenses to the extreme - which one??

2»

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    nightspidy wrote:
    I too had a very hard time finding worthwhile reviews also and was torn between the 8mm and the 4.5mm. What I did find out, from what I read and was told, the 8mm on my Canon 30D would not give me the full affect due to my censor size. When I went to the store I was able to try both lens' and I just didn't like what I was getting from the 8mm. I ended up getting the 4.5mm as I wanted the "full meal deal" fisheye look and I love, love, love (did I mention love? iloveyou.gif ) the speed - a prereq for my new lenses these days seems to be 2.8 and faster only. .... Hope this helps mwink.gif

thanks, it does!! I still caress my 10-20mm Sigma with love. I know with my Nikon D50, I won't get the full circular effect, however a D3 *is* in the plans for the future, especially with the sports photography I seem to be doing, so that'll let me get the full FX effect. hmm. still. you DO tempt me w/ the 4.5 over the 8mm. dang you.
    //Leah
  • Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    catspaw wrote:
    thanks, it does!! I still caress my 10-20mm Sigma with love. I know with my Nikon D50, I won't get the full circular effect, however a D3 *is* in the plans for the future, especially with the sports photography I seem to be doing, so that'll let me get the full FX effect. hmm. still. you DO tempt me w/ the 4.5 over the 8mm. dang you.

Laughing.gif. For me, I'm not sure if I'll go full-frame so it was an easier decision in that sense. I guess you'd have to look at how soon are you going to get the full-frame. If it's within a year, perhaps just get the 8mm, but if it's longer than that or you're not sure when, I'd get the 4.5mm. Or you could just get both....get the 4.5mm now, then the 8mm with your full-frame and then you'll have a fish-eye lens for each body! mwink.gif Heh, heh. I'm sure this hasn't made it any easier for you! Sorry. Laughing.gif. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    As most reading here have no doubt discovered, fisheye lenses are a rarity on the used market. If you buy smart you don't stand to loose much if you sell the 4.5 when you get the FF body and need to switch to the 8mm. Get what works for the camera is what I would say. I imagine the 8 on a crop is similar in effect to how the 15 performs on my FF body, but if you really want the full enchilada fisheye you should just get it, then sell it when you get your ff body.

My .02

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Man, I jotted down the price for the 10.5mm Nikon from Adorama a month or so ago and it was $579.99 and I go back to look today and it's $699.99... and just to be clear, I wasn't looking at grey market.
    What gives with the price jump? Anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    KoryJ wrote:
    Man, I jotted down the price for the 10.5mm Nikon from Adorama a month or so ago and it was $579.99 and I go back to look today and it's $699.99... and just to be clear, I wasn't looking at grey market.
    What gives with the price jump? Anyone have any ideas?

All Nikon prices have been jumping up as the US dollar sinks. sad facts of the economy :cry www.bythom.com mentioned this in one of this front page discussions a week or so ago.
    //Leah
  • Options
    KoryJKoryJ Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    All Nikon prices have been jumping up as the US dollar sinks. sad facts of the economy :cry www.bythom.com mentioned this in one of this front page discussions a week or so ago.

Good call, I didn't really think of the fact it's not really an american product... Amazon has them from cameta (who?) for 599... I hope that holds out for a coupla weeks.

thanks for response!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2009
    If anyone is curious, I DID end up with the 8mm Sigma. I knew I was getting a FF camera pretty soon, so the DX Nikon 10.5 made no sense for me. Here's some of the fun I've had with it so far (it's been horrid weather, MUST get outside and away!!!)

466637102_qGicZ-M.jpg

468610131_jSQfM-M.jpg
    //Leah