Maine Lighthouses

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in Landscapes
Decided to drive up to Maine today to begin exploring the coast and its lighthouses. Had 5 chosen in advance. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't completely cooperative...dense low clouds with off/on showers. Made for a very bland sky. Here's what I was able to capture:

Nubble Lighthouse in York
395695051_hWnw2-M.jpg

Owls Head Lighthouse
395695423_Xkpnt-M.jpg

Foliage was peaking but the light didn't help much
395695674_4vjt5-M.jpg

Breakwater Lighthouse - 7/8 mile walk along the breakwater...each way...with showers :huh
395695988_Lps7X-M.jpg

And Portland Head Lighthouse
395696452_SABBu-M.jpg

I was hoping to get more foliage shots but the weather really wasn't helping matters today. Guess there's always next year...

Comments and Critiques greatly appreciated.
E

Comments

• lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Boy, you covered some territory that day! I'm surprised you didn't stop by Spring Ponit light and Bug Light in Portland Harbor. They are only 10 minutes from Portland Head Light.

I've done this sort of trip a couple of times from Chelmsford, MA. I usually check the webcams in those areas to check on the weather. The day after a front passes through is usually best. That's when you get big white puffy clouds. Today would be a good day for this!

Thanks for sharing.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Hey Lee,
    Thanks for the comments.
    Between my Vermont trip and this one, I've driven 1000 miles in the two days! I'm looking out my deck in Mass. now thinking today would have been perfect. However, we're headed down to the Cape for a conference so hopefully that will serve as a reasonable substitute mwink.gif
    The webcam idea is a great one - I'll have to remember that. Also, I'll need to buy a good New England map soon as I got quite lost up there. Between the horrible driving conditions and getting lost, I cut my losses with the other lighthouses.
    I'm sure I'll hit some of these again. Owl's head ended up being my least favorite. Breakwater was great for the location but the lighthouse itself was not as photogenic (most is in front of the house/station). If you have some 'favorites', please post them here for myself and others to visit.
    E
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I think you did a fabulous job with you had work with. The compositions are great. Imho, the weather worked with you (or you with the weather) to create very moody captures in images 2 and 3. Staring down the road, I can almost feel the dampness on my skin. The rest would have definitely benefited from either clearing or stormy conditions but if we could control that then photography would probably be the last of our interests. :D
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    They all look like good captures to me. Really like #2 and #5. Wondering how a couple may look in HDR to help out with the lighting and contrast,saturation.

Ray Still