Cracked LCD 50D

t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Cameras
I purchased the 50D yesterday on the way to airport for my trip to Germany and Italy. The box I received looked like it was crushed or dropped, nothing too bad though. Because I was in a big hurry I didn't bother to open up and check the contents. Guess what....when I get to the airport and unbox to put in my camera bag, it has a cracked LCD screen. I decided against Best Buys service plan for $349. I am in Germany now and won't be back for another 10 days. I'm hoping they will realize that this was caused from shipping or some other form and they will replace. If not does anyone have an idea of a replacement cost and how easy it is do?

The camera seems to function fine, can I still use for the next 10 days without causing any other harm? The crack goes from corner to corner.

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    You need to report this them ASAP to have any chance for recourse. Maybe you can use another camera or a phone's camera to document some pictures. However, IMHO, its going to be a uphill battle, especially if the original box is gone. If you can contact the store, and confirm it was the last one in stock, that the sales person recalls the box being crushed, etc. you might have a chance. Without solid proof this didn't happen after you took position, BestBuy likely has the upper hand. Good luck.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    If you used a major credit card to purchase the camera you may also want to contact your credit card company. If Best Buy is unwilling to cooperate, you might be able to dispute the charges. Also, if the local Best Buy is unwilling to resolve the situation don't be afraid to climb up the chain to their corporate offices, or to take the issue up with Canon directly.
    --Travis
  • t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I still have the box and packing stuff from it in my car at the airport. Looking at more closely it looks like it might just be the protective plastic covering that is cracked. Is there a plastic covering over the LCD screen?
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    t-rev wrote:
    I still have the box and packing stuff from it in my car at the airport. Looking at more closely it looks like it might just be the protective plastic covering that is cracked. Is there a plastic covering over the LCD screen?

No personal knowledge. But even if there was, I wouldn't be very happy knowing it took that sort of impact in the first place. No way to know if any additional internal damage exists that might not even show up till later.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I agree with AJ 15524779-Ti.gif I would not want something that took a hit like that, you deserve to have a pristine product for the price you pay.
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    t-rev wrote:

There should be a cover, plastic or glass. If the display is producing an image it's most likely just the cover that's cracked.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited October 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    There should be a cover, plastic or glass. If the display is producing an image it's most likely just the cover that's cracked.

Yes there is still an image so I'm guessing that it is just the cover. I sent an email to Best Buy Consumer affairs and they told me they will take it back and that I can bring it in to their Geek Squad to have it repaired.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    clap.gif
    t-rev wrote:
    Yes there is still an image so I'm guessing that it is just the cover. I sent an email to Best Buy Consumer affairs and they told me they will take it back and that I can bring it in to their Geek Squad to have it repaired.
    edited October 18, 2008
    Sorry, I meant that they WILL NOT take it back and that I will have to pay for service. I'm going to argue with them when I get back though...