Options

www.smugmug site getting traffic

hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Can anyone explain to me why I'm seeing a bunch of traffic coming to my custom site from the generic www version? Is there some portal that links to the www versions of my galleries that I'm not aware of? It's particularly frustrating because it means that someone could browse an entire gallery without ever triggering my stats, or seeing any of my customization.

Is there any way to disable the www version?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Hello, we would need lots more info. Please, details? What links, what search results, what details can you provide because I do not understand your question without them :D Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    I have seen a lot of traffic directed to my customized site coming from links like this:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6271273_swbb9

I don't understand how somebody would get there. Do search results link to those pages or something?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    In case I'm not being clear enough: I run statcounter on my site. Occasionally I see traffic there that has been refurred to one of the pages on my customized site (monkeytales.smugmug.com/whatever) from one of my galleries without my nickname in the URL (see link in post above). Presumably they are getting to one of the www sites and then clicking on a link there that is taking them to a correct (customized) URL. I'm not clear on how they get to the www page verison in the first place. I realize that a URL like that can be created manually, and that a gallery will default to that if "Hide Owner" is selected, but I don't see how the first could be the case and the second is not, either.

For some reason I saw a rash (for me it's a lot) of traffic last night that followed this pattern. About 10 different hits, all from foreign countries, and all got to my site through one of the "generic" www gallery pages. I'm not sure what made for so much more of this than usual.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Google and other crawlers can visit with the www.smugmug url, that's one of the possible explanations. If you have hello world set to yes.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Google and other crawlers can visit with the www.smugmug url, that's one of the possible explanations. If you have hello world set to yes.

I do not (nor have I ever) have hello world set to yes. The only thing I changed was my Hello Smuggers setting - to turn it off this morning.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    hyachts wrote:
    I have seen a lot of traffic directed to my customized site coming from links like this:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6271273_swbb9

I don't understand how somebody would get there. Do search results link to those pages or something?

In my stats I have verified that every link that shows www.smugmug.com/gallery is from galleries that I have added to a Community. Have you joined any communities, and could this be what you're seeing?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    In my stats I have verified that every link that shows www.smugmug.com/gallery is from galleries that I have added to a Community. Have you joined any communities, and could this be what you're seeing?

Nope, no communities. Good to know, though.
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I think that if someone does a search on SmugMug, and clicks on one of your photos in the results, that traffic will show as coming from www.smugmug.com.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    I think that if someone does a search on SmugMug, and clicks on one of your photos in the results, that traffic will show as coming from www.smugmug.com.

I've seen referral links that are the actual search string, so I know where those are coming from, but its possible there's some other way they're searching and/or clicking that's taking them to the generic gallery first.