Options

smug down?

DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited October 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I was just browsing my site and all of the sudden it went to the home page for smugmug.com. I was logged out. So I tried logging back in and it would not take my email.

I typed in my domain and it went back to the smugmug.com homepage.

It's like I never existed :(
www.djtdesigns.smugmug.com or www.dajatuphoto.com niether one would take me to my site.

So I typed in a search for Galaxie 500
Nothing shows up... and before bunches of cars would.

Comments

• Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    smugmug down?
    Did something catastrophic just happen? Can't access my smugmug site. All requests go to the main smugmug homepage.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    I was just browsing my site and all of the sudden it went to the home page for smugmug.com. I was logged out. So I tried logging back in and it would not take my email.

www.djtdesigns.smugmug.com or www.dajatuphoto.com niether one would take me to my site.

Same here.

http://jfriend.smugmug.com
    http://friend.smugmug.com

both just go to Smugmug's home page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mdweisenmdweisen Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2008
    same here... it's like my account is gone. Even forgot password doesn't know about me.

Glad it's not just me.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I'm guessing so. I also was booted out and no links of mine are working. I'm sure we'll see an update by the staff shortly.
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Did something catastrophic just happen? Can't access my smugmug site. All requests go to the main smugmug homepage.

Yup. I found out because a customer called me. I wonder how long it will last.
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    DJT wrote:

same prob for me too
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Same here.

So glad I checked here first before I started screwing around with my DNS settings!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Same here, and I just directed about 100 parents to my site this morning for a special sale I'm having.

Anybody from SmugMug out there to let us know what's going on?

I know their working on it, but a quick update would be good.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    Hyper-PerformanceHyper-Performance Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Same here.

So glad I checked here first before I started screwing around with my DNS settings!! rolleyes1.gif

Whew..me too..... I almost panicked and then thought to check it out here first.

I'm sure someone tripped over a plug and once the TRS80 is rebooted will be up and running!
  • Options
    kriskroskriskros Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I feel relieved to learn that it was not only me who cannot login.
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    This was at the top of someones gallery. Haven't tried mine yet.
    We're having some temporary difficulties. We expect full service to resume shortly. Sorry!
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Hey guys,

Yes, we're having some problems this morning. We're working on it, but we're in read-only mode for the time-being.

Sorry for the trouble! I know whenever something like this happens it is bad timing for many and terrible timing for some. Hopefully we'll get things up and running again soon, but I really don't know much at this point.

-Anne
    Mistress of Help
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    My site has this notice too.
    We're having some temporary difficulties. We expect full service to resume shortly. Sorry!

This is much better than the cartoon graphics displayed before during a previous outage.
  • Options
    goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Hey guys,

Yes, we're having some problems this morning. We're working on it, but we're in read-only mode for the time-being.

Sorry for the trouble! I know whenever something like this happens it is bad timing for many and terrible timing for some. Hopefully we'll get things up and running again soon, but I really don't know much at this point.

-Anne
    Mistress of Help

Thanks for the update and thanks for the notice at the top of the pages. Hopefully we'll all be back up soon.
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Good timing on my part. I was uploading images last night, went to bed, and somewhere along the line SM went down.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2008
    We are working on it. Sorry for the confusion. The site should be in read only mode right now as the engineers are looking into the problem.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    I'm happy with the response. NOT LIKE OTHER SITES.

I hope this will be resolved sooner than later.
  • Options
    JETAJETA Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I've read the update blog.

Is there a time frame you can guess at?

Thank you!
    JETA
  • Options
    LenzflairLenzflair Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    I suspect it's the mass exodus from the Flick site. They changed their interface and everyone is up in arms about it. They are ignoring their customers in the feedback section.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Not at this time. But I can assure you that the engineers will not rest until it is back up and running.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    This is becoming way too frequent. Time to look at other options including hosting my own album site.

While I appreciate the efforts of the support team, I'm feeling uncomfortable with the fact that sessions of slow browsing speeds and downtime are becoming "part of the smugmug experience". It shouldn't be that way. You can only say "we understand" so many times.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    For those of you seeking updates: http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Don is posting status updates here : http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    rickstrickst Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    SO THE $100 I JUST SPENT TODAY ON BUSINESS CARDS THAT INCLUDES MY rickst.smugmug.com LINK HAS BEEN WASTED!!!!! PLEASE TELLL ME THIS ISN'T SO...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Rick, The site is down temporarily. It will be back up soon. Your business cards will still be valid.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    rickst wrote:
    SO THE $100 I JUST SPENT TODAY ON BUSINESS CARDS THAT INCLUDES MY rickst.smugmug.com LINK HAS BEEN WASTED!!!!! PLEASE TELLL ME THIS ISN'T SO...

It isn't so.. I just checked and your site is there and has the friendly warning at the top saying they are having temporary issues. I just wouldn't attempt loading pics until it is resolved. ..I would go out and take some pics! ..I would too if I wasn't stuck at work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    No, not catastrophic but Don and Andrew have their handsful right now. Read here:

We’re currently experiencing a read-only site outage. One of our core database servers is experiencing problems and we want to make sure everything is fine before we go back online.

Given the large amount of data on this particular database cluster, it may take awhile to verify everything (and, if necessary, restore).

We’re very sorry that this may take awhile, but in cases like these, preserving your data has to be our top priority. We’ll continue to update if anything changes.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    rickst wrote:
    Hi, I'm very sorry - no, of course not, not wasted. Sometimes these things happen, and our engineers are really smart about fixing 'em.

Stay tuned, and up2date, here:
    http://smugmug.wordpress.com/2008/10/17/site-outage/
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Peter wrote:
    This is becoming way too frequent. Time to look at other options including hosting my own album site.

On what do you base that data? I'll stack our performance up against anyone, anyone. Nobody likes things like this, Peter, but thankfully your photos are safe, and viewable right now. Our engineers will get things back to 100%, I'm sure of it.
    While I appreciate the efforts of the support team, I'm feeling uncomfortable with the fact that sessions of slow browsing speeds and downtime are becoming "part of the smugmug experience". It shouldn't be that way. You can only say "we understand" so many times.
    What slow browsing? There's 3rd party (Quantcast.com) that shows we're faster than any other photo sharing site out there. You may have particular issues, and we can help - we'd love to help, in fact - have you contacted a hero at our help desk? ear.gif
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,757 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    No problems viewing pictures over here in Europe. And it's fast ... very fast.

Hope problems will be solved without too much work mwink.gif