Resolution and Image Size trouble..

Glenn PGlenn P Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited October 17, 2008 in Finishing School
Hello,

I use Capture NX to handle my raw files. I was asked recently to provide an image to a local magazine in 300dpi and 17x11. I shoot with a Nikon D70s. In Capture NX I used the edit Size/Resolution feature and input 300dpi and then filled in the image size as 11x17 and saved it. The editor told me he opens them in photoshop at 300dpi and they are 10x6.

Will the d70s not support 300dpi at 11x17 or am I not doing something properly?

Thank you.

Glenn

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Glenn P wrote:
    Hello,

I use Capture NX to handle my raw files. I was asked recently to provide an image to a local magazine in 300dpi and 17x11. I shoot with a Nikon D70s. In Capture NX I used the edit Size/Resolution feature and input 300dpi and then filled in the image size as 11x17 and saved it. The editor told me he opens them in photoshop at 300dpi and they are 10x6.

Will the d70s not support 300dpi at 11x17 or am I not doing something properly?

Thank you.

Glenn

What you might want to understand is that 300dpi and 11x17 are just labels on your file. If you don't actually change the number of pixels you have, you won't be getting what you want.

So, for 300dpi at 11x17, you need an image that is 3300x5100 pixels. If you give them an image of those pixel dimensions, it will be capable of 300dpi at 11x17. I am not familiar with the commands in Capture NX, but I presume there is some way to control the upscaling of an image when you go to save it to a JPEG. That's where you need to tell it you want 3300x5100 pixels.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Glenn,

basically your 6 MP camera will produce a 300 ppi image with the approximate dimensions of 10 X 6.

So number one you didn't up rez the image.

In order to produce an image of with a native resolution of 300 ppi at 17 X 11 you would need a camera with about 17 MP.

Generally magazines / others seem to want an image delivered at the cameras native resolution, and they will normally deal with any up rezing required.

You may want to ask the magazine to be more precise about their requirements. Your camera may not produce an image with a resolution high enough to meet their requirements.

Sam

Sam
  • Glenn PGlenn P Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Glenn,

basically your 6 MP camera will produce a 300 ppi image with the approximate dimensions of 10 X 6.

So number one you didn't up rez the image.

In order to produce an image of with a native resolution of 300 ppi at 17 X 11 you would need a camera with about 17 MP.

Generally magazines / others seem to want an image delivered at the cameras native resolution, and they will normally deal with any up rezing required.

You may want to ask the magazine to be more precise about their requirements. Your camera may not produce an image with a resolution high enough to meet their requirements.

Sam

Sam

Sam and Jfriend,

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I have to apologize for not really understanding this issue completely. I've been doing some searches here and reading everything I can to try and "catch-up". They told me they wanted to use the image as a double-truck spread and so it's dimensions would need to be 11x17 at 300dpi.

Thank you.

g