Options

Blogger / dingy photos

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited October 18, 2008 in Finishing School
I have been trying to figure out why my photos downloaded to blogger look dingy for weeks.

The settings look correct from what Ive been reading in three different forums. The only way to get a photo to look similar is to do a screen capture of it.
On my blog right now, the first two photos are samples - in the first one I used a action to add a boarder and my name, then resized 500 px on the long side.
The second photo is a screen capture from the original then downloaded.

Anyone have any ideas?
I need to get this fixed soon. THese two seniors are going to be getting copies of their pics sized for their myspace/facebook page.

Maybe Im missing something somewhere is the save process setting? Or could my boarder /logo action cause an issue?

My blog can be found here:

<a href="http://www.exposedimagesphotography.blogspot.com&quot; target="_blank">MY BLOG</a>

Thanks
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    I have been trying to figure out why my photos downloaded to blogger look dingy for weeks.

The settings look correct from what Ive been reading in three different forums. The only way to get a photo to look similar is to do a screen capture of it.
    On my blog right now, the first two photos are samples - in the first one I used a action to add a boarder and my name, then resized 500 px on the long side.
    The second photo is a screen capture from the original then downloaded.

Anyone have any ideas?
    I need to get this fixed soon. THese two seniors are going to be getting copies of their pics sized for their myspace/facebook page.

Maybe Im missing something somewhere is the save process setting? Or could my boarder /logo action cause an issue?

My blog can be found here:

MY BLOG

Thanks
    I wonder if you are uploading the images in the wrong colorspace. To preserve your colors on the web in most browsers, you need to make sure your images are sRGB before uploading them. I would guess that your images were in AdobeRGB and that's why the colors look a bit washed out.

Here's your image from the blog:
    IMG_7991web.jpg

Here's the same image, but properly changed to sRGB before uploading.

396183530_ac9Tp-O.jpg

Is this the effect you are looking at?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    John

Yes that it is great. I dont know where or what has been changed. Everything has been fine in the past.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    John

Yes that it is great. I dont know where or what has been changed. Everything has been fine in the past.

Did you change your camera to AdobeRGB? Did you change your processing workflow to use AdobeRGB? Did you change the export or save settings to use AdobeRGB? Before you save to a JPEG for posting on the web, are you looking to see if the image is sRGB? If not, are you converting it to sRGB before saving?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    John

My camera is set to sRGB, I shoot raw, and use DPP to convert to jpg. Ive checked the settings in DPP and it is set to sRGB. After I have the jpg from DPP, I will finish touch ups in CS2. As far as I know , I have not changed any settings in CS2. Here are the settings in CS2.

I guess capture shots are still not working in here? Gez, its been a long time since they worked.

Well forget showing you what the settings are.

Where would I find the export settings? THese same photos are on my website, and look fine.
    Under view, then proof set up, the setting is set to CMYK. But I dont have a check mark by proof colors. THere is a check mark by CMYK.

I placed the screen captures in a gallery on my site ,here is the link
    www.exposed-images.smugmug.com/gallery/3351357_fZyzW#396573727_pkqDH

In the screen capture that says assign a profile, even though I have it set to working sRGB. Should it be set on the "profile" word and set to sRGB?

Thanks a bunch
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    John

My camera is set to sRGB, I shoot raw, and use DPP to convert to jpg. Ive checked the settings in DPP and it is set to sRGB. After I have the jpg from DPP, I will finish touch ups in CS2. As far as I know , I have not changed any settings in CS2. Here are the settings in CS2.

I guess capture shots are still not working in here? Gez, its been a long time since they worked.

Well forget showing you what the settings are.

Where would I find the export settings? THese same photos are on my website, and look fine.
    Under view, then proof set up, the setting is set to CMYK. But I dont have a check mark by proof colors. THere is a check mark by CMYK.

I placed the screen captures in a gallery on my site ,here is the link
    www.exposed-images.smugmug.com/gallery/3351357_fZyzW#396573727_pkqDH

In the screen capture that says assign a profile, even though I have it set to working sRGB. Should it be set on the "profile" word and set to sRGB?

Thanks a bunch

When you open a JPEG image in Photoshop, work on it there and then save your change for posting on the web, how do you save it? Which commands in Photoshop do you use?

If the image is indeed sRGB and that same image looks good on your Smugmug web-site, but lousy in your blog, then you either need to talk to the blog people because they must be messing it up or you need to just link to the image as hosted in your Smugmug account, not upload it to your blog site.

I don't know how it's happening, but it still feels like the image is somehow AdobeRGB. When you upload it to Smugmug, they automatically convert it to sRGB so it looks good on the web in Smugmug, but your blog host does not convert it to sRGB so it looks washed out. If you still have the exact JPEG image you uploaded to your blog, you can open it in Photoshop, do Edit/Convert to Profile as see what colorspace Photoshop thinks your image is in.

If this is not an AdobeRGB issue, then I have no idea what's happening.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    John

First I will save an image after working on it in CS2, then I will make a copy, and resize the copy for web, at the point using a "save"
    In the past I might have been using "save as". This blog is new so this is the first experience with it. The images look the same dingy colorless on myspace too.
    One other thing, I notice in the save process, the formatt options change on their own, sometimes standard, sometimes the progessive setting.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    John

First I will save an image after working on it in CS2, then I will make a copy, and resize the copy for web, at the point using a "save"
    In the past I might have been using "save as". This blog is new so this is the first experience with it. The images look the same dingy colorless on myspace too.
    One other thing, I notice in the save process, the formatt options change on their own, sometimes standard, sometimes the progessive setting.

Take the exact image that you uploaded to either your blog or myspace and open that image (from your hard disk) using File/Open in your browser. If it looks dingy there, it's clearly something you've done to the image. If it looks fine there, then you need to contact your blog service and find out what they are doing to your image.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Take the exact image that you uploaded to either your blog or myspace and open that image (from your hard disk) using File/Open in your browser. If it looks dingy there, it's clearly something you've done to the image. If it looks fine there, then you need to contact your blog service and find out what they are doing to your image.

John

Omg, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Ok the first image I have been having problems with, shows not good.
    I reprocessed the raw in DPP, added ICC profile, then opened in photoshop, resized for web, saved. THat one looks great viewing that way.

Not imbedding the ICC profile is a no no, my mistake the first time. Now it shows that blog is doing to issue.
    MySp*** is making the photo bad as well. So at least I know it isnt me.

I really have been going crazy over this.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,270 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    Another thing you might consider doing is linking to your photos in your smugmug gallery instead of uploading them to blogger. I always refer to the photos in my smug galleries, and I use html so that if the photo is clicked in my blog the viewer is taken to that photo in my smug gallery.

See this post for the html to link to photos from your blog - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=886014&postcount=2. (It's the second post in a thread I posted about matching the look of your blogger blog to your smug site - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101262).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    After thinking about this , how in the heck do others get their photos to look so good in their blog, myspa**, etc.?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net