Options

category and subcategory description

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I would love to add a description to my categories and sub categories. Is this on the list of upgrades? If not, why not?

Thanks
-Winn

Comments

• Options
    SaltSalt Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    I would love to add a description to my categories and sub categories. Is this on the list of upgrades? If not, why not?

Thanks
    -Winn
    Here Here!! When can I have this!?!?
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Salt wrote:
    Here Here!! When can I have this!?!?
    Please.... Please.... I'm beggin' here.

Also, is there any way to cycle through 'featured' images for categories & subcats?
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Maki wrote:
    Please.... Please.... I'm beggin' here.
    Also, is there any way to cycle through 'featured' images for categories & subcats?
    I miss these features too
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    Don, JT, Baldy?
    Any thoughts?
    -winn
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    Don, JT, Baldy?
    Any thoughts?
    -winn
    Obviously this is something everyone would like to have available to them, but it's obviously something that would simply take up a little more space, time, etc.

Besides, you must remember that everyone in the basic and power accounts is stuck with "4 galleries with 1245 photos, last updated..." next to all their categories and subcategories, so then you'd have to figure out how to decide whether or not people only get to read a category description when they actually click on the category or next to the category link on your main smugmug, etc. etc.

Trust me I want this too, but my hunch is that it's all part of what would push us towards $150 a year instead of smugmug's graciously allowing us to remain at $100 while everybody new has to pay the new price. Smugmug is growing at a rapid pace, I'm very happy with all the improvements thus far; you should have seen what it was like a year or so ago...

However, I'd REALLY like to get to disable "public" (print purchaser) cropping, PLEASE smugmug!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Obviously this is something everyone would like to have available to them, but it's obviously something that would simply take up a little more space, time, etc.
    ...obviously... :)
    Besides, you must remember that everyone in the basic and power accounts is stuck with "4 galleries with 1245 photos, last updated..." next to all their categories and subcategories, so then you'd have to figure out how to decide whether or not people only get to read a category description when they actually click on the category or next to the category link on your main smugmug, etc. etc.
    and...? eek7.gif This would purely be optional. Whether to the side, below, on top, mouseovered... it doesn't matter. It wouldn't show up or affect the user unless they provide the text.
    Trust me I want this too, but my hunch is that it's all part of what would push us towards $150 a year instead of smugmug's graciously allowing us to remain at $100 while everybody new has to pay the new price. Smugmug is growing at a rapid pace, I'm very happy with all the improvements thus far; you should have seen what it was like a year or so ago...
    Why is this feature request being blacksheeped?? I would think ANY request would ultimately have this effect. And besides, it's up to the management committee to decide what, where, & how much time and effort to apply against their annual budget for each feature upgrade. Requesting isn't going to up the price...applying is something different. I would think storage would cause more of a hardship than deciding whether or not to apply a feature anyway... in the long run.
    However, I'd REALLY like to get to disable "public" (print purchaser) cropping, PLEASE smugmug!

-Matt-
    Whip.gif HEY... quit hijacking this thread with yet another membership increasing suggestion! ;)
  • Options
    straehlestraehle Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Category Descriptons
    winnjewett wrote:

Thanks
    -Winn
    I was going to start a thread to ask for this feature, but searched and found this one from May. I see other requests, but no comment from Smugmug. This does not seem to be a big deal to add - I could be wrong, I've been before. Please consider and at least respond.
    Thanksclap.gif
    Gallery: http://straehle.smugmug.com
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 17-40 f:/4 L
    Canon EF 24 - 105 f:/4 LIS
    Canon EF 70-200 F:/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 24-70 F:2.8L
    Sigma 80 - 400 f:/4/5.6 OS
    Sigma 105 f:/2.8 macro
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    straehle wrote:
    ....snip.... This does not seem to be a big deal to add - I could be wrong, I've been before. Please consider and at least respond.
    Thanksclap.gif

wave.gif hiya terry... please be careful with that phrase "not a big deal to add..." lol3.gif i thought something would be easy, then onethumb told me all the interrelationships etc and it turned out that it was major afterall. there's a big volume of requests .. please know that the engineers are reading these threads and that you guys are being heard.

deal.gif
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    straehle wrote:
    I see other requests, but no comment from Smugmug. This does not seem to be a big deal to add - I could be wrong, I've been before. Please consider and at least respond.
    I mentioned this request in my recent email to help@smugmug.com and got this reply:
    "We have given that suggestion to our engineers so we will have to wait and see what they think. We are keeping them very busy right now with other features and improvements though."

Hope it helps
  • Options
    straehlestraehle Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    DmitryS wrote:
    I mentioned this request in my recent email to help@smugmug.com and got this reply:
    "We have given that suggestion to our engineers so we will have to wait and see what they think. We are keeping them very busy right now with other features and improvements though."

Hope it helps
    Well, it appears to be getting some attention after a five month hiatus
    Gallery: http://straehle.smugmug.com
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 17-40 f:/4 L
    Canon EF 24 - 105 f:/4 LIS
    Canon EF 70-200 F:/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 24-70 F:2.8L
    Sigma 80 - 400 f:/4/5.6 OS
    Sigma 105 f:/2.8 macro