Options

Dgrin policy on the Live.com / ebay promotion

JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited October 21, 2008 in Flea Market
MOD EDIT [18.oct.08] This thread is composed of a selection of posts
that were moved out of a for sale thread in Nikon-Land. This issue deserves
its own thread. See my posts below on the Dgrin "policy".

Good deal for someone, you should also think about putting up on ebay for a few bucks more so someone can grab the www.live.com 30% off !!!!
So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 18, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    ...you should also think about putting up on ebay for a few bucks more so someone can grab the www.live.com 30% off !!!!
    just going on record here: that pretty much goes 100% against the general attitude of this flea market. "put it on ebay for a few more bucks"??!

This recent live.com deal is popping up a lot, to the point that soon it's going on my spam list and will be deleted.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Better deal
    DoctorIt wrote:
    just going on record here: that pretty much goes 100% against the general attitude of this flea market. "put it on ebay for a few more bucks"??!

This recent live.com deal is popping up a lot, to the point that soon it's going on my spam list and will be deleted.

thanks,

Well if its on ebay say for $700, and someone bought it for that with the 30% less, they would pay $490 for it, the Dgrinner would be getting a a better deal therfore could spend even more money on dgrinners items for sale..............Seems like a win win for everyone, did not mean to ruffell your feathers buddy, just trying to save some people some money.

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    VinnieVinnie Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

thanks,

Erik, whether or not Tom decides to put the camera on ebay makes no difference to me and is unimportant.

But what I do find important is this seemingly bitter attitude toward a program that could help some dgrinners save some cash in the long run. You're not the only one who seems to have this attitude toward the program, others too have shared your sentiment...is it that you don't understand the program or is it the program a violation of some guidelines that I just don't know (which is definitely possible) or something completely different...care to elaborate?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

thanks,

I hope it goes on the list sooner rather than later!

I listed my camera here for dgrinners.

Seems to me if I listed it here as "for sale somewhere else", is akin to going to my friends party and tell everyone about the great party down the street.

so enough already, buy my camera!:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    Vinnie wrote:
    Erik, whether or not Tom decides to put the camera on ebay makes no difference to me and is unimportant.

But what I do find important is this seemingly bitter attitude toward a program that could help some dgrinners save some cash in the long run. You're not the only one who seems to have this attitude toward the program, others too have shared your sentiment...is it that you don't understand the program or is it the program a violation of some guidelines that I just don't know (which is definitely possible) or something completely different...care to elaborate?
    Hi Vinnie,
    I appreciate the thought behind this, however, the point is that despite the savings, this is still an advertising scheme for Microsoft - you don't just get money or discounts for nothing. Clearly its working, look how many live.com links are scattered throughout the flea market this past week.

We have, and always will, maintain this as a peer-peer trading post. The forum as a whole also will never contain spam or advertising, even if the advertising is for reasonably good deals. I have to call a spade a spade, it's spam, maybe good spam, but still advertising spam.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 18, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    I hope it goes on the list sooner rather than later!

I listed my camera here for dgrinners.

Seems to me if I listed it here as "for sale somewhere else", is akin to going to my friends party and tell everyone about the great party down the street.
    Very well put, Tom. That's the whole idea of our flea market - peer to peer.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hi Vinnie,
    I appreciate the thought behind this, however, the point is that despite the savings, this is still an advertising scheme for Microsoft - you don't just get money or discounts for nothing. Clearly its working, look how many live.com links are scattered throughout the flea market this past week.

We have, and always will, maintain this as a peer-peer trading post. The forum as a whole also will never contain spam or advertising, even if the advertising is for reasonably good deals. I have to call a spade a spade, it's spam, maybe good spam, but still advertising spam.

Completely understand your point on how it is technically spam. And for what it's worth, I apologize for contributing to the perpetuation of spam.

Obviously the benefit to microsoft/live is the word-of-mouth it is creating, but I think that the "good" in this instance out weighs the bad. I mean why is sharing this any worse then others sharing any other "Deal" or "discounts Codes" or "loyalty program".

Erik, please correct me if I am wrong...(and I quite possibly am - I'm dense sometimes)...I would like you to help me understand this example and how it's bad for anyone involved....

Example:

Vinnie wants to sell a camera on dgrin for $600 including shipping and PP fees.

If he simply posts it and sells it on dgrin, the buyer pays $600 and gets the camera - Vinnie gets $600 and pays PP fees and shipping.

If Vinnie hears about the CB program and decides to put it on EB. He takes into account the EB and PP fees and puts it up on EB for $660. He posts it on dgrin and lets his friends know about the cb program.

A fellow dgrinner decides to use the cb program and Buys it now for $660 minus 30%(current discount). (660-198=462) So the buyer spends 660 and gets 198 back, therefore only paying 462 for the camera and Vinnie gets his original 600 plus the addition 60 to cover fees. That is a $138 savings for Vinnie's friend and fellow dgrinner.

So other than a few extra minutes on Vinnie's end to post it on ebay...and a little patience on the buyers end in getting the rebate, how is that bad?

What am I missing...please help me understand.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

Thanks for the statement Erik... And I'll have to state that I concur! No matter how you spell it, it's still a 4 letter word... good bad or otherwise.

And I must add that I like this forum for it's lack thereof...
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Vinnie wrote:
    Erik, please correct me if I am wrong...(and I quite possibly am - I'm dense sometimes)...I would like you to help me understand this example and how it's bad for anyone involved....
    I understand the deal, and I'm not judging, I'm just doing my job.
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I understand the deal, and I'm not judging, I'm just doing my job.

I'm not faulting anyone for doing their "job"...it's tough enough just keeping up with all the posts never mind policing them....

but...I really would like someone to please explain to me how this specific example is bad for fellow dgrinners...what am I missing. If you "can't" judge, I understand...as a mod, might not be the best thing to do...I get that....so if you can't, maybe someone else can tell me what I am missing.

Erik can you please do me a favor and please just respond to my other question:
    Vinnie wrote:
    Obviously the benefit to microsoft/live is the word-of-mouth it is creating, but I think that the "good" in this instance out weighs the bad. I mean why is sharing this any worse then others sharing any other "Deal" or "discounts Codes" or "loyalty program".

I just want to make sure I'm not doing something against the rules...
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Vinnie wrote:
    Erik can you please do me a favor and please just respond to my other question:
    Sure.

Sharing deals/codes/etc is great, as you know we have the proper threads already setup for most categories already. In fact, that's great, encouraged, right on, help fellow dgrinners!

In this case, however, it was suggested to someone who had already posted a FS thread that he should use this deal and move this sale to ebay to use this deal.

Again, nothing outwardly wrong with the motivation, but its kinda like price policing, not something we like here. As you know, none of the recent FA threads using this deal have been "policed".
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure.

Sharing deals/codes/etc is great, as you know we have the proper threads already setup for most categories already. In fact, that's great, encouraged, right on, help fellow dgrinners!

In this case, however, it was suggested to someone who had already posted a FS thread that he should use this deal and move this sale to ebay to use this deal.

Again, nothing outwardly wrong with the motivation, but its kinda like price policing, not something we like here. As you know, none of the recent FA threads using this deal have been "policed".

I think, I completely understand now.

It's not the fact that the CB program "was" mentioned, the issue is "where" it was mentioned.

Got it...thank you very much for your clarification. This helps me out a lot.

And thanks again for the tireless and mostly thankless job you do as Mod.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    live.com
    Vinnie wrote:
    did this sell?

you better watch because the moderators will move this post for spam, mentioning Live.com is a NO NO here..............as posted by somepeople it breaks the rules

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    you better watch because the moderators will move this post for spam, mentioning Live.com is a NO NO here..............as posted by somepeople it breaks the rules

I DO BELIEVE that mentioning of live.com here in a for auction thread is ok.....I could b wrong but I hope not as this is an advertizment for something over at ebay........and that should be ok.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Vinnie wrote:
    I think, I completely understand now.

It's not the fact that the CB program "was" mentioned, the issue is "where" it was mentioned.
    nod.gif
    Got it...thank you very much for your clarification. This helps me out a lot.

And thanks again for the tireless and mostly thankless job you do as Mod.
    you're welcome thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    you better watch because the moderators will move this post for spam
    well, not really. leave the moderating to me, eh?

thanks,
    Erik

• Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    whats good for one is not good for all
    DoctorIt wrote:
    well, not really. leave the moderating to me, eh?

thanks,

Can you help me understand...........You say it's spam on other people's posts but not this one...........Maybe there is some secert DGRIN society that everyone is not part of that has different rules............

• Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    JasonL wrote:
    Can you help me understand...........You say it's spam on other people's posts but not this one...........Maybe there is some secert DGRIN society that everyone is not part of that has different rules............
    there is no secret society, actually, all there really seems to be is me moving your posts lol3.gif

Jason, seriously, it's not that big a deal. After moving these last few posts, the only deal is your (mis)interpretation of it.

I moved your first post here because YOU were the one spamming and telling someone to use an auction and a live.com discount (which you even linked for them - blatant free advertising, why would you do that?). This second time, the poster already had a FA thread, it was already on ebay, so fine, they suggested using the discount on their auction.
    Erik