Options

Custom domain question

blackshadowblackshadow Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited October 19, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I have my own domain name www.blackshadow.com.au and would like to use it as a custom domain name for my smugmug account.

I have set up my smugmug the way I want it www.blackshadow.smugmug.com

I also have a blog that is hosted on a subdomain www.blog.blackshadow.com.au - I want to maintain my blog at this address.

It is my understanding that I need to get my webhost (www.hostgator.com) to make some changes so that www.blackshadow.com.au now goes to my smugmug account.

Will making these changes effect the subdomain for my blog?

Regards, Richard

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 19, 2008
    A web address can only point at one location on the web. I am afraid you cannot use the same fully qualified domain to point at one location at a time. the www.blackshadow.com.au will need to point either at your blog or at your SmugMug site. It cannot be both.

The good news is that you can use a subdomain. For your situation, leave the www.blackshadow.com.au pointed at the blog and create a subdomain of photos.blackshadow.com.au and point it at SmugMug.

Create a CNAME of photos and point it at domains.smugmug.com and you will be all set.

If you need help, contact me on the SmugMug help desk.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Allby's WifeyAllby's Wifey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 19, 2008
    Custom Domain Problem
    Hello, I am new to SmugMug and I have a slight problem. I currently have a website domain name www.printscharmingimages.com at canaca.... I wanted to transfer it to smugmug. I was reading up on your posts earlier and I changed the name server in my canaca account to smugmug. I think I screwed it up....I never saw a CNAME or a place to create one.Now my website cannot be found!! Please help...I am lost in cyber space!!!
    Thank you in advance....
    Jamie headscratch.gif
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 19, 2008
    Jamie,

You need to reset the nameservers. They need to stay pointed at your domain hosts set. We do not have nameservers that you can use. That is something that the domains hosts provide.

It sounds like you do not have access to the CNAME and A record settings required to point your domain at SmugMug. I would recommend you contact your domain host and ask them how to do that. I am not familiar with your particular name host. But, I will be happy to take a look. Contact me on the help desk with your domain host login information and I will be happy to check.

If you can get the domain host to do it for you, ask them to set a www CNAME pointed at domains.smugmug.com and an @ A record pointed at 208.79.45.23 Do not let them set forwards.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com