Dgrinner gets a thumbs "up" from Cycle World

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited November 20, 2008 in Sports
I was flipping through my Cycle World today when I noticed a familiar name... Chris Sedgwick, aka F45 here at Dgrin, one of a growing bunch of talented motorcycle photographers who contribute here on Dgrin.

The magazine has a little "Ups & Downs" column for the best of the good and bad short news in motorcycling that month. This month, Chris gets a thumbs UP.

Good onya mate :thumb

Now, care to share any sample "magazine covers" with us? :ear

20081019-qingq245y6uwicknbprduky7tm.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Cover Designs
    Thank you very much Erik for the recognition!

I just found your PM in my account this evening and must apologize for the tardy response…I no longer use the email address I originally setup with Digital Grin but (thanks to an old friend whom was waiting for an email reply) I decided to dig through the in-box to see if I’ve missed anything else over the past few months and coincidentally found your PM notification buried in the middle.
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    The idea for the “cover shots” came about during the 2007 season when I photographed the AMA circuit. I was introduced to Freddie Spencer who; as it turns out, lives here in Las Vegas and has been running the “Freddie Spencer High Performance Riding School” for the past 11 years. I noticed that he didn’t use a full time photographer so I put together a proposal for a photo package that I wanted to offer his students. The highlight of the package would be the student’s image and name customized into a faux magazine cover. I created the name and designed the cover to be as real as possible in every detail.
    The CycleWorld write-up happened because I did a couple of photo-shoots for them this past spring and have kept them updated with projects that I think they may be interested in from time to time. CW editor Matthew Miles showed my cover print to various people around his office and the response was very exciting so he called me one day and asked if he could run it with a small blurb in their “Ups and Downs” section. He intended to run the image along side the write up but due to space limitations, only the description was used.
    401821452_ULYwy-L.jpg
    Click on the image for a bigger preview!

401836846_zSi4x-L.jpg
    Click on the image for a bigger preview!

Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    You're welcome!

And thank you for sharing the examples, they look really nice! I'd be happy to take one of those home from a racing school!

(btw, thread moved to Sports, now that there's some shots in it thumb.gif)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 29, 2008
    Bad News
    Hey Sharpshooters,

Some very unfortunate news was finalized last week when Freddie closed down the school after 11 years of operation. The environment and atmosphere of the school had always been very upbeat. All of the students that I met had commented on the quality/level of instruction saying that the course was the best they had ever experienced and worth every penny.

Reasons for the final decision have not been officially confirmed but certainly many factors are at play...Some personal. Some because of the economy. Some unknown. In any case, it's a sad situation for everyone and I wish all involved my very best for the future!
    Cheers,

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 1, 2008
    We can only hope whatever the reason Freddie decided to close down, he will be back.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Very Cool covers and cycle action.
    edited November 8, 2008
    CookieS wrote:
    Very Cool covers and cycle action.
    Thanks CookieS,

I appreciate the kind words!
    Cheers,

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    congrats for the recognition, the shots speak for themselves. Simply awesomebowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/