2952896801_542cd2963d.jpg

materials:

2952881999_6054699f84.jpg

2953732556_af8ba658dd.jpg

2953733962_13e6391573.jpg

Comments

• VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Wow, that's an IMPRESSIVE work well done. You really brought out the characteristic in that portrait.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    looks good - except for the black slits of the eyes. They are so black that I'm drawn right into their depths of nothingness and it seems weird (imo). But otherwise, I agree that you've really brought out the character of the man.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    looks good - except for the black slits of the eyes. They are so black that I'm drawn right into their depths of nothingness and it seems weird (imo). But otherwise, I agree that you've really brought out the character of the man.

C.

Thanks, and you are definitely right about the eyes. I spent so much time worrying about the textures that I forgot about them.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    From the original shot, the subject looked like a nice man with clean skin and a beard. If your goal was to characterize him as a dirty and unkempt homeless person, you did very well.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    From the original shot, the subject looked like a nice man with clean skin and a beard. If your goal was to characterize him as a dirty and unkempt homeless person, you did very well.

I don't know whether this is some kind of criticism for misrepresenting a person's image or not, but let me give you a little background. I was photographing a street protest for a friend which he had permits for and was non-violent. This homeless man, who smelled terrible, began berating us with obscene insults for over an hour and yelling in our faces about unrelated political nonsense to the point that he was spitting on us. I was suprised no one punched him. He was eventually warded off after we called the police. He also gave me explicit permission to post his picture online.

I would also like to add that this photo is not intended to be any form of factual photojournalism.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Interesting photo!! Really like the layering. I have to agree with frog lady the eyes are dark and very creepy (great time for Halloween).
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    like the original image although it is not sharp enough
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    I think you would make a stronger presentation by removing the "deepest background". Try removing that, squaring the image and see what you think. I think you will like that version better.