Dashboard and Widgets, what are your favorites, for Mac OS 10.4 users

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited November 12, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
It has been asked what is a widget and what does it do.

Dashboard is home to widgets: mini-applications that let you perform common tasks and provide you with fast access to information.

Dashboard

Widgets for Downloading

What are your favorites so far?

We all know the smugmug one (when it is ready) will be a big hit. :thumb

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    There's also dashboardwidgets.com, a great source for widgety information.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Capture is one of my favorite so far.
    About Capture
    Powerful and dynamic screen capture widget.

Features include:
    - Filetype options (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, JP2, PICT, BMP, QTIF, PSD),
    - Customizable save destination,
    - Scaling (10 to 100%)
    - Take shots of your whole screen, selections or windows — with or without the Dashboard layer.

I have been using Grab, but I do not like that it is always a tiff, then you have to save and convert it, now Capture drops a jpg on my desktop and I upload it to my SM account. thumb.gif
    edited May 5, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Capture is one of my favorite so far.

I have been using Grab, but I do not like that it is always a tiff, then you have to save and convert it, now Capture drops a jpg on my desktop and I upload it to my SM account. thumb.gif

Cool!

I never had a problem with the OSX keystrokes for that...except that they're always pdf's. Nice to be able to set the filetype.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 5, 2005
    Does anyone know how much these widgets actually slow down a machine?

I looked at the activity monitor and besides when they are active, they don't use much CPU power (even when they are active), but they use some ram, not much, but mine are using a lot of virtual memory, around 200mb each. I don't know much about VM, but if it is being used by a widget will it slow my system down, a dual G5 I doubt it, but a PB 1ghtz running PS, should I shut down dashboard or reduce the active widgets to save some speed and performance for PS, just wondering what anyone knows. It does not seem to be slowing me down.
    edited May 5, 2005
    hold option, click "X" will close a widget
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    AFAIK, widgets only take up system resources if they are visibly running, so not to worry. Plus - widgets are really just javascript and html, so overhead is pretty low. There are a few neat widgets I have come across, but my favorite is an app that lets you run widgets on your desktop outside of Dashboard; it is called Amnesty: http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm
    edited May 5, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    AFAIK, widgets only take up system resources if they are visibly running, so not to worry. Plus - widgets are really just javascript and html, so overhead is pretty low. There are a few neat widgets I have come across, but my favorite is an app that lets you run widgets on your desktop outside of Dashboard; it is called Amnesty: http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm

I want a way to add dashboard to the regular apps, so I can apple+tab to it. I use liteswitch to do that and I hope they can add it in a new version.

Thanks for the heads up on system resource usage.
    edited May 5, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I want a way to add dashboard to the regular apps, so I can apple+tab to it. I use liteswitch to do that and I hope they can add it in a new version.

Thanks for the heads up on system resource usage.

You can do this via the terminal as well.
    If you'd like one of your Dashboard widgets to be available all the time, instead of only when you have activated Dashboard via F12, then activate the Dashboard dvelopment mode. Open the Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES and press Return. Then logout and log back in again. Now debugging mode is activated. To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:
    Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).
    Begin dragging the widget.
    Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.
    Drop the widget wherever you want it.
    You can do the same thing in reverse to drag the widget back onto the Dashboard. Also of interest: while a widget is frontmost, you can press Command-R to reload it. (This may be necessary if a widget is buggy and gets messed up somehow.) There's even a nifty Core Image-based twirl effect to accompany the reload.

[robg adds: This isn't really a hidden hack; it's the official way of working on a widget before it's done. However, I find it extremely useful -- there are certain widgets that you'd just rather see and use all the time, instead of only in Dashboard mode. Note that the widgets float above all windows, so this trick is most useful if you have some spare desktop space. To disable this mode, repeat the above command, but replace YES with NO, and then logout/login again. Note that you can also restart the Dock to make the changes take effect (the Dock controls the Dashboard).
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 5, 2005
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 12, 2005
    I just want to say how cool it is that I can leave the Package Tracker widget open with my tracking number for my latest B&H order, and whenever I go to the dashboard, it updates. No more fumbling with webpages, copying and pasting the tracking code (aside from the one time). Very cool!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 16, 2005
    Update time. The gallery widget is "almost" complete, but I am waiting on two things that I am not in charge of:

1) 10.4.1 to be released - Tiger has some rather large problems to fix. The largest being that Safari (and thus Dashboard) does not always work when using https.

2) Don to get the REST API to get out of beta :) I have the code working with both the old and the new REST API - but would rather release just once for testing.

Granted - I could release right now if I kept the javascript include server side. That would let me change the code as needed and there would be no need to push out new versions all the time. Not sure if that is where I want to go either though ...

I am getting some screenshots ready in case we have to wait a while on the above issues.
    edited May 16, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Update time. The gallery widget is "almost" complete, but I am waiting on two things that I am not in charge of:

1) 10.4.1 to be released - Tiger has some rather large problems to fix. The largest being that Safari (and thus Dashboard) does not always work when using https.

You can check that one off!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    I've just installed 10.4, only hickup so far is the weather info shows my home city Perth, except its Perth North Dakota not Perth Western Australia rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 24, 2005
    Here is a widget for Craiglist junkies.
    edited May 24, 2005
    iCal Events
    iCal Events
    Moderator Emeritus
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I just want to say how cool it is that I can leave the Package Tracker widget open with my tracking number for my latest B&H order, and whenever I go to the dashboard, it updates. No more fumbling with webpages, copying and pasting the tracking code (aside from the one time). Very cool!

is there a computer fast enough that would handle this little app for me rolleyes1.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    is there a computer fast enough that would handle this little app for me rolleyes1.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    someone needs to write an andybay widget for the flea market.

now that would need some processing power icon10.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited June 3, 2005
    iClip lite

I just found this and it is very useful. How often do you need to copy a few items at once, here you go, this does it and very easily. thumb.gif
    edited June 7, 2005
    Here is an interesting unit conversion widget, add a number, select type and it give multiple results.
    edited September 24, 2005
    pearLyrics
    iTunes 5 will store lyrics in the ID3 tag. This handy little widget will find the lyrics and place them in your iTunes when any song is played (that it can find the lyrics for). It's here.

I found this and some more information about how to automate this here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited October 27, 2005
    OK, here is my all-time favorite widget:

4 Editions of Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies.

This same guy also made a widget that looks like it might be handy to someone who knows what CSS stands for: SeeSS Widget
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 2, 2005
    DOF Widget
    This is pretty cool:
    http://www.fuerstentum.net/Widget/index.html
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:

heh someone else sent me that this morning, I installed it (I'm on 10.4 of Tiger) and it doesn't work
    edited November 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    heh someone else sent me that this morning, I installed it (I'm on 10.4 of Tiger) and it doesn't work

And last time I downloaded it, it was a processor hog. Too bad, it sure would be cool to have hanging around.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • the brightlinethe brightline Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2005
    It does work - try this
    andy wrote:

Hi Andy~

It does work - just has a little "bug".

It appears to be frozen, but if you depress the Apple key + the "R" key it will refresh and you'll be able to enter data in all fields.
    michele

www.thebrightline.smugmug.com
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    And last time I downloaded it, it was a processor hog. Too bad, it sure would be cool to have hanging around.

I had the same issue but I just downloaded the current version (1.4 according to the site) and don't see that anymore. Appears to be working just fine. Looks like there's some more sensor types in there also.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    Got Dilbert?
    Here's one I've been using for a quite a while:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18595