Which do think is better?

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited October 20, 2008 in Landscapes
This is my original shot:

358504361_tqjnt-L.jpg

But I went back and re-capured it to get a different feel and the clouds were better.

397486259_R98xW-L.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I think #1 stands out for me. Both are beautiful!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    1st works for me. I also like POV of 2nd but colors and clarity of 1st is very beautiful, 2nd looks little soft
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I personally like the first shot better the reflection is more pronounced and to me doesn't look quite as wide angle shot as second picture. Both are very cool. But the first is the ticket for me.

Ray Still
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    #1 is great...I do like a few more clouds in #2...how bout blending the two together? The trees on the right of #2 aren't as sharp as the first. Really cool stuff.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Thanks, everyone. Those are helpful comments. For some reason the second image rendered mushy and unsharp here. I don't think I sized it right when I uploaded it. I just replaced it with a better version.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Both are so beautiful, how can I choose? ne_nau.gif

1st one the reflection is more integral to the success of the shot, whereas #2 is more about the arch and the overall tonality.

IMO, of course... :D
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • SimonMWSimonMW Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I like number 1 the best. It looks more like a sci fi painting! it also doesn't have the slightly distracting square buildings in it. I like the way the arch appears slightly translucent in 1 too. The arch is also better framed by having the tree on the left as well as the trees leading in from the right, and the shape of the lake helps to lead into the photo as well.

In summary I would say that number 2 is a photo of a place, whereas number 1 is a vision of a place.
    My website
    My Smugmug gallery
    Pentax K10D
    Canon 60D
  • Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I still like #1 the best. It appears to have been shot from a little higher angle so pool comes into play at little more.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hi Jeff,

I'll go with number 1. It appears more dramatic to me and benefits from not having the distracting elements of the buildings.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I like #1 as well. Both are beautiful though!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    For me the first one stands out. I prefer the stronger reflection, and the framing of the shot. Great job on both of them.

James
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I like the composition of #1 better. The curves in the foreground pond and stillness of the water are really nice. I agree the clouds on #2 are better... maybe a chance to go back a 3rd time and get the best of both.

I really like the IR treatment.
  • JMPJMP Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    2nd one, although the Arc should be closer to the center and more water space for the reflection... anyways both are great, one day ill get closer to that quality myself, one day!
    cheers!
    Canon 40D
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    #1 is my pick of the 2. The smoothness of the water really makes the image for me.
  • endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Aesthetically and photographically, number 2 is easily the best interpretation of the scene.

1. The sky has much more drama.

2. the arch shows much more detail and drama in its structure. You can see the reflection of the individual stainlesss steel panels, the glint of sun of the right side, and just much more clarity of the architecture.

3. The water is much better with a little more breeze disturbance. It's almost always better for a reflection NOT to mirror the reflected elements. You know what it is without having it duplicated or being redundant. Much more of an artistic look.

4. I don't necessarily like the obvious look of the concrete pool. Just the water being there is much more visually appealing.

5. Again, just the trees leaning into the scene is ok, without having to show the base of the trees.

6. Number 2 just has more immediate drama. Dramatic eye appeal is where it's at!
  • endsoftheearthendsoftheearth Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Oh, I almost forgot to add to my last commet. I would definitely clone out the buildings. Absolutely.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I like #1 the best because I like the perspective that it's taken from. But I'd like it even more with the more dramatic sky from #2. :)

Both are fantastic though!!

-- Lisa P.