Some Blue Ridge Mountains Fall Glory

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited October 19, 2008 in Landscapes
397378287_gJU5x-XL.jpg

397364732_RTvqH-XL.jpg

397364734_jQrMK-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I enjoy old, abandoned, decrepit buildings! :D

Perhaps in the future you can compose the shots a bit differently. There's no real context for viewing these - it looks like, "point the camera, shoot, next." Think about how the surrounding areas interact with the subject, and use it to your advantage. That will create more interest and drama than simply centering the subject all the time.

IMHO, of course! :D
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hi Cato,

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to make your comments. These pictures are from a series to be published in a book about the Appalachian farm life....to be included in a section about old farm buildings.
    As such, the approach was very documentary in nature with little emphasis toward being otherwise interpretive. Your point is well taken and appreciated, however.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hi Cato,

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to make your comments. These pictures are from a series to be published in a book about the Appalachian farm life....to be included in a section about old farm buildings.
    As such, the approach was very documentary in nature with little emphasis toward being otherwise interpretive. Your point is well taken and appreciated, however.

Tom

Cool! Do you have any inside shots?
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Great stuff! The second shot I find especially appealing. Thanks for sharing these.

James
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hi James,

Thanks for your kind remarks.

Tom
    edited October 19, 2008
    Cato...

The author of the book, being an accomplished photographer himself, is doing all the interior shots that are required. He is far better at handling lighting considerations, etc. than I am. I have, as you would expect, seen some of his early production and I can tell you that it is outstanding. He works with a minimalist attitude toward equipment, but can create drama and mood ,that reflects the life of the people in this invironment, with an uncanny realism.