Curiosity didn't kill this cat...I'm still curious

The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
:D I am so curious to ask this question.

I am wondering if any of you superb photogs would care to share how you come up with your ideas.

I guess what I mean is sometimes, well more than sometimes I really struggle to come up with an idea. I can even go as far to get a picture in my mind but when I do all the work it really has translated to what I meant for it to convey.

Are any of you having trouble with this besides me?

Is this something that comes from experience or is it a case of either you have it or you don't?

I am in awe of the creations you all get and I am bitting my fingernails to the bone to figure out what to do. It seems to come so easy for all of you.

I would love to hear from all of you.

Thanks and peace, gail

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    In my case, I just head to an area where I know I can get a shot that fits the theme. But with this theme I needed to really stretch myself because getting a shot of an area was not enough. To be honest, I didn't care much for the poem itself for this challenge-- it was specific, yet vague at the same time. Going out and shooting was fun but I wish we'd had another piece of text to attempt to illustrate.ne_nau.gif

What boggles me is how people come up with ideas for composite shots. Nikolai, shatch, and LiquidAir come to mind immediately but there are others who have also been consistently good with these types of images. bowdown.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    In my case, I just head to an area where I know I can get a shot that fits the theme. But with this theme I needed to really stretch myself because getting a shot of an area was not enough. To be honest, I didn't care much for the poem itself for this challenge-- it was specific, yet vague at the same time. Going out and shooting was fun but I wish we'd had another piece of text to attempt to illustrate.ne_nau.gif

What boggles me is how people come up with ideas for composite shots. Nikolai, shatch, and LiquidAir come to mind immediately but there are others who have also been consistently good with these types of images. bowdown.gif

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, just what I was thinkingwings.gif . Nikolai, shatch, and LiquidAir and Sherstonewings.gif . They take nothing and make is astounding. I don't understand ne_nau.gif what process they do to get the finish. To shoot the right picture, even without composites, to fit the theme can be a real stinker to.

Thanks so, so much for sharing.

gail
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    To be honest, I didn't care much for the poem itself for this challenge-- it was specific, yet vague at the same time. Going out and shooting was fun but I wish we'd had another piece of text to attempt to illustrate.ne_nau.gif

A slight tangent from the original question:

This text is not one of my favorites either (will I be viciously flamed if I say I just don't think it's a terribly good poem? :D), but I'm guessing it was chosen because it offered so many different ways to photograph it:

- illustrative (a picture which tells the story of the poem)
    - representational (a concrete image of one of the things IN it or related to it, including the actual text itself)
    - thematic(a depiction of one of the underlying themes the text explores/suggests)
    - surreal (both because of the "dream" concept, and also because of the implications of the rest of Poe's literary output)

Something less vague - I dunno, Wordsworth's "Daffodils" or something - would have been far more limiting in *ways* to approach it visually. As somebody who spends a lot of my professional life marrying text and music, it's a very interesting - and different! - task for me to marry text and *visuals*. Fascinating... if very tricky!

But parsing text is something I'm used to doing and, because of the many different ways one could provide a visual to support the text, I had LOADS of ideas, but few of them were *practical* for me to achieve within the limitations of my time, resources and, to be honest, technical abilities! A few of the images have actually gone with similar ideas to ones I had, and I'm thrilled to see what other, more experienced and able photographers have done with those.

Just my n00b 2c.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Okay, I'll chime in....I will be the first to admit that I do not think abstractly as I feel this poem is written, so I may be way off in my interpretation. However, I started these competitions with hopes of stretching myself creatively, and I felt it would be too easy to just "cop out" of this one being way out of my comfort zone! So better to enter something and maybe reach someone, than not try at all! Anyway, my point is, I would venture to say that many people are in the same boat as you at least I am!:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Well, let's put it this way. Personally, I won't be saying "doesn't meet the theme" to ANY of these entries. This one was completely open to artistic interpretation, and as such, I'll be making my selections from the heart as well.

Yes, it's totally different from any other themes I've ever seen, and that's why I love it. Be prepared for the occasional odd theme to crop up like this, mixed with some other slightly more "typical" ones. For this one, I was hoping people would have someone read the poem to the while they closed their eyes, and waited for the words to produce imagery. Then...take that vision and make it into a photograph.

I can't wait for the morning to see what you all have done here!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited October 19, 2008
    Yes, it's totally different from any other themes I've ever seen, and that's why I love it. Be prepared for the occasional odd theme to crop up like this, mixed with some other slightly more "typical" ones. For this one, I was hoping people would have someone read the poem to the while they closed their eyes, and waited for the words to produce imagery. Then...take that vision and make it into a photograph.

What I didn't say above (although my multiple postings in the last two weeks have probably made it clear) is that I think this challenge was WAY COOL. Tough? For sure. But wwwaayyyyy cool (and I have learned *so* much in the last 2 weeks). And if this counts as one of the "odd" ones then I look forward to more of those thumb.gif
    edited October 19, 2008
    Well, let's put it this way. Personally, I won't be saying "doesn't meet the theme" to ANY of these entries. This one was completely open to artistic interpretation, and as such, I'll be making my selections from the heart as well.

I can't wait for the morning to see what you all have done here!

I really enjoy the challenges. I was just curious how others come to gather in the mind's eye to make something so creative when they put it all together.

I actually printed this poem and gave to several of my family and friends. I think I know it forwards and backwards now. eek7.gif I either don't get any ideas to grab onto or I get an idea in my head that I can't figure out headscratch.gif how to make it come to life because I guess I just don't have the skills yet. That is part of why I try something every round. I want to learn and explore.

I can't wait to see the next entry and what someone else came up with.

Onward and upward. Thanks for your input bowdown.gif Emily.

Peace, gail

I think this has been my favorite so far.iloveyou.gif
    edited October 19, 2008
    I either don't get any ideas to grab onto or I get an idea in my head that I can't figure out headscratch.gif how to make it come to life because I guess I just don't have the skills yet.

Maybe once the challenge is closed this is good fodder for the feedback (or other) thread? Perhaps you could explain what you had "in your head" and some of the gurus here could offer suggestions for how they would have implemented those - I know I'd for sure be interested in that!!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I'll jump in...

I thought about this poem, and sometimes as we all know the words written are not actually what is mean't, so I tried to read between the lines....I guess it all just comes from what you understand/interpret when you read something....It almost seemed like I was back in school and the professor would ask us..."So tell me what do you think Shakespeare mean't by that line he wrote..." :D

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I'm usually on two sides of the creative fence: I either have an entire image spring immediately into my head in its complete form ready for me to just go shoot and process it ("To Kill a King" is an example of that), or I have to dig around for a bit of inspiration (deviantArt is great for me) and play around for hours in Photoshop with different processing looks until I land on something I like.

For this challenge in particular, I had about five images pop immediately to mind. I attribute this to my years as an English major and more years writing fiction, where my goal is to bring pictures to life through words. Thus writing is a real font of imagery for me. My penchant for the slightly dark and macabre precludes me to love Poe and pretty much all Victorian literature. :giggle All five images were slightly sad with a touch of whimsy, and I wish I could have explored them all. Silly shootout ate up a week of my time. deal.gif

My current image is actually incomplete, and it kills me. I hope to finish the story it was supposed to tell someday and have it grow into a series I'd dearly love to shoot. iloveyou.gif

I wish more of the challenges were like this. If nothing else, it makes me want to go back and read some of my old favorites (Browning's My Last Duchess is calling me) and perhaps, if I'm lucky, get further inspired to shoot even more. I love when literature and photography combine! Thanks, Em. :D
    edited October 19, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    (Browning's My Last Duchess is calling me)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo (or perhaps even Andrea del Sarto if we're going the Browning route - one of the ultimate treatises on the artistic condition)

Hey, there's an idea, Emily - how about revisiting this down the road a bit only instead of setting the text for us, we get to illustrate a text of our own choosing? That could be a fun variant! :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hee, I did go read it and followed it with Faulkner's A Rose for Emily. Now that would be fun to shoot for, considering our contest benefactor. mwink.gif
  • BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    sometimes dumbfounded
    i have not entered a lot of these and my free time is somewhat limited to be creative - at best. when something like this pops out i usually get an idea right away - the only problem is having the discipline to get in there and do the work immediately - this challenge was hard - but if you look at it thats not necessarily a bad thing - we are all out here trying to capture that perfect vision - the right answer - the happy life - and nothing comes easy. the last challenge there were so many entries - and that is a good thing also - every once in awhile you have to have something pop up that is difficult so that you can appreciate the easier things in life. my idea for this was going to be a shot with a military background. i am retired military and i have the uniforms of my dad and grandfather - there was going to be a few more things added but again you get the basic idea.
    personnally i like the things in life that make you go "hm?"
    i hope it helps me keep straight thoughts when i get older - kind of like working the daily puzzle in the paper. well for some of us this is our daily puzzle. headscratch.gif
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
    edited October 20, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'm usually on two sides of the creative fence: I either have an entire image spring immediately into my head in its complete form ready for me to just go shoot and process it ("To Kill a King" is an example of that), or I have to dig around for a bit of inspiration (deviantArt is great for me) and play around for hours in Photoshop with different processing looks until I land on something I like.

For this challenge in particular, I had about five images pop immediately to mind. I attribute this to my years as an English major and more years writing fiction, where my goal is to bring pictures to life through words. Thus writing is a real font of imagery for me. My penchant for the slightly dark and macabre precludes me to love Poe and pretty much all Victorian literature. :giggle All five images were slightly sad with a touch of whimsy, and I wish I could have explored them all. Silly shootout ate up a week of my time. deal.gif

My current image is actually incomplete, and it kills me. I hope to finish the story it was supposed to tell someday and have it grow into a series I'd dearly love to shoot. iloveyou.gif

I wish more of the challenges were like this. If nothing else, it makes me want to go back and read some of my old favorites (Browning's My Last Duchess is calling me) and perhaps, if I'm lucky, get further inspired to shoot even more. I love when literature and photography combine! Thanks, Em. :D

Kerri, you have such an awesome talent for creativness that never seems to run dry, which I have told you many times. Even when you think you have a slump, to the rest of us you don't. I look forrward to things you come up with and miss your talent on dp.

Peace, gail
    edited October 20, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Tentacion wrote:
    I'll jump in...

I thought about this poem, and sometimes as we all know the words written are not actually what is mean't, so I tried to read between the lines....I guess it all just comes from what you understand/interpret when you read something....It almost seemed like I was back in school and the professor would ask us..."So tell me what do you think Shakespeare mean't by that line he wrote..." :D

Peace
    Donna P.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif "play around for hours in Photoshop with different processing looks until I land on something I like"

Ditto Llewllyn!! I'm glad I'm not the only dork. :devbobo :D

I just got a Domo Kun and I hope to shoot a series of him out and about. You'll be able to return to your series just put at the top of the project bin.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 20, 2008
    I have felt challenged with all the rounds...this one the same. No matter the theme I always immediately get 2 or 3 ideas right off the bat. I set them up and try to shoot within a couple days of the release of the round. That way they stay fresh. Sometimes I cannot shoot right away do to time or other pro shoots I have...or travel plans. But this time around I only had 1 day to work on the first shoot and then because I had to leave town ( I go home tomorrow) I had to PP to do changes and improve on that one time shoot.

There is so many ways to interpret this poem and glad Emily is open to whatever interpretation. I enjoyed this theme immensley as it really did challenge me and got my dd and sil involved too! (always looking for time to spend with them!).iloveyou.gif
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    :D ....
    I am wondering if any of you superb photogs would care to share how you come up with your ideas.

I guess what I mean is sometimes, well more than sometimes I really struggle to come up with an idea. I can even go as far to get a picture in my mind but when I do all the work it really has translated to what I meant for it to convey.

For me I have developed a pattern that seems to work for me personally I spend the first week and sometimes weekend planning and germinating ideas in my head, then the next week I schedule the shoot if needed or just go out and find the shot or shoot it in studio, whichever is called for.
    I only have 2 days out of every two weeks to actually shoot and work on the project so planning is key.

90% of what I plan is too fantastical to pull off so I end up having to compromise quite a lot and come up with ideas that are both physically possible and financially feasible.

To answer your question if it is from experience ... I think it is a combination of training your imagination and the ability to visualize from start to finish how to achieve a concept.

When stumped I search Google but I use this as a last resort because I like to try and come up with something that is raw.

I hope this random thought pattern makes some sensene_nau.gif

Sean
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    My creative process is purely emotional, well I think. At the beginning of these challenges, I was trying too hard. Now, I try to not think too much about the theme despite I do have it on the back of my mind.

I like nature to suggest and I play with it, I shoot something every day. It keeps the brain going. I do very little post-processing, this is not my forte. Sometimes, I do not enter because nothing came up, it is just the way it is!

In this specific case, I was almost sure to enter the picture but you pushed me to do it by commenting it at the "Dailies". I thank you so much for it!

Cheers

JY
    edited October 22, 2008
    ifocus wrote:
    My creative process is purely emotional, well I think. At the beginning of these challenges, I was trying too hard. Now, I try to not think too much about the theme despite I do have it on the back of my mind.

I like nature to suggest and I play with it, I shoot something every day. It keeps the brain going. I do very little post-processing, this is not my forte. Sometimes, I do not enter because nothing came up, it is just the way it is!

In this specific case, I was almost sure to enter the picture but you pushed me to do it by commenting it at the "Dailies". I thank you so much for it!

Cheers

JY

Your are welcome, I thought it was very fitting and well, I guess I was right because it was chosen.

peace,gail