Options

Colorado and Utah Trip - Rocky Mountain National Park (Lots of Pics)

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Landscapes
Howdy All,

Continuing my previous thread, here are a few of my favorites from Rocky Mountain National Park, where I spent 2 days shooting.

Besides what is below, many more in my gallery at:

http://www.langfordphotography.com/C...o%20and%20Utah

396961191_eVSH2-X3-2.jpg
"Storm is Coming" - Canon 30D w/ Canon 28mm lens + Polarizer. 8 shot pano bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting panos tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396961113_tK4si-X3-2.jpg
"Infrared Mountains" - Canon 10D IR Modified w/ Canon 20mm lens + Hoya R72 IR Filter. 6 shot pano bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting panos tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396961192_T2ZEY-X2-1.jpg
"Storm Over Sprague Lake" - Canon 10D IR Modified w/ Canon 20mm lens + Hoya R72 IR Filter. 5 shot pano bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting panos tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396961009_VNdGc-X2-1.jpg
"Fall Along the Stream" - Canon 30D w/ Canon 28mm lens + Polarizer. 10 shot mosaic (5 x 2) bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting mosaics tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396960350_6HvoW-L-1.jpg
"Elk at Sunset" - Canon 30D w/ Canon 28mm lens + Polarizer. 1 shot bracketted -1/0/+1 (in ACR). 3 resulting images tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396960419_Hywqm-X3-2.jpg
"Top of the Pass" - Canon 10D IR Modified w/ Canon 20mm lens + Hoya R72 IR Filter. 8 shot pano bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting panos tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396960217_QMTPu-X3-1.jpg
"Hills of Gold" - Canon 30D w/ Canon 28mm lens + Polarizer. 8 shot pano bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting panos tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

396960884_B3zTJ-XL-1.jpg
"Smooth Flowing" - Canon 30D w/ Canon 28mm lens + Polarizer. 8 shot mosaic (4 x 2) bracketted -1/0/+1 each frame stitched with Panorama Factory. 3 resulting mosaics tone mapped in Photomatix and finalized in CS3.

Thanks for looking!

James

Comments

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    These are all outstanding James. I can't even pick a favorite. Great work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dan
  • Options
    David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Outstandingclap.gifthumb.gif All of them are GREAT!!!!wings.gif
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    All are very nice I'm leaning toward #3 as my favorite just curious how big of a file are those pano's

Ray Still
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    All are very nice I'm leaning toward #3 as my favorite just curious how big of a file are those pano's

Ray Still

Thanks for making me feel like crap when I look at my files :)

Awesome pictures, congrats!!!!!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hi James,

This is very nice work. My kind of stuff. Well done.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    James, these are fantastic! Do you use any kind of pano bracket?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Wow! Just Wow. I thought I had a favorite picked (the first) only to scroll down and find more and more incredible shots! Great compositions. The stream with a 10 shot compilation is astounding! I don't know how you managed that without seams.
    E
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 19, 2008
    Just super! clap.gif Gorgeous images, and a great display of photographic and processing techniques.

-joel
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    So beautiful, I'm at a loss for words...

thumb.gifbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gif
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    James,

WOW!!!

All of them are amazing!!
    Great work!!!thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 20, 2008
    Super shots, James.

Looks like you were also through Vail. Now, I bet you'll tell me you were there between Sept. 27th and Oct. 4th. If so, should I have been wearing my red Smugmug hat the whole time?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    The first 2 and the first brook shot are my favorites! Looks like you have a great process going here. they look perfect!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    BRAVO! Superb. I love those B&W panos....simply stunning!clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    More book quality shots there. Print them and put them on a wall! Or in a gallery! bowdown.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Super shots, James.

Looks like you were also through Vail. Now, I bet you'll tell me you were there between Sept. 27th and Oct. 4th. If so, should I have been wearing my red Smugmug hat the whole time?

Thanks David! I appreciate it. :D

Here's how my trip played out:

Oct 3 & 4 - Rocky Mountain National Park
    Oct 5 - Vail, Aspen and Maroon Bells
    Oct 6 - Maroon Bells, Aspen, and drive from Carbondale to Grand Junction
    Oct 7 - Colorado Monument, Arches, Canyonlands
    Oct 8 - Arches, Canyonlands in the morning, Maroon Bells that night
    Oct 9 - Maroon Bells sunrise, back to Denver and home to Dallas

So, it looks like I just missed you. :cry I didn't really do much planning for this trip. I just went where I felt like going, and stayed until I was ready to leave. :) It was a ton of fun.

My Vail stay was kind of interesting. A snowstorm had rolled in that evening, and the whole valley was socked in with clouds. I was pretty depressed, and got a hotel for the night ($150!!!!). I wasn't expecting much the next morning, but the clouds broke from around 10 am till 1 pm, allowing for some amazing pictures of the town. I may not have noticed you even with the red smugmug hat on. ;-)

James
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    These are all outstanding James. I can't even pick a favorite. Great work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dan

Thank you Dan. I'm glad you enjoyed them, and I also had a hard time picking my favorite. :D

James
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Outstandingclap.gifthumb.gif All of them are GREAT!!!!wings.gif

Thanks David!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008

Ray Still

Hi Ray. Thanks! I just went back and checked, and the files are between 10 and 20 Mbs for the final JPG version. Size wise, they range between 7500x4000 and on down.

James
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Very nice James!! I enjoyed every one of them.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    James, a question if I may. You mention using a polarizer in many of your pano shots. I've always thought a circular polarizer would cause gradient problems across the pano, especially using a wide-angle lens. Are you using a non-circular polarizer in your shots?

Thanks!
    -joel
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    James, a question if I may. You mention using a polarizer in many of your pano shots. I've always thought a circular polarizer would cause gradient problems across the pano, especially using a wide-angle lens. Are you using a non-circular polarizer in your shots?

Thanks!
    -joel

Hi Joel. Yes, I do use a polarizer almost exclusively, regardless of the time of day. And yes, it can create gradient problems. Here's an example of one I had where I wasn't too happy with the result:

396950101_hZVso-X2.jpg

I've found that overall, I prefer to have a polarizer on to deepen the colors. Sometimes I like the gradient in the sky if it is not too pronounced.

James
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    jamesl wrote:
    Hi Joel. Yes, I do use a polarizer almost exclusively, regardless of the time of day. And yes, it can create gradient problems. Here's an example of one I had where I wasn't too happy with the result:

Another gorgeous shot, James.

My question was specifically in using a CP for panos. Doesn't having a gradient in each frame cause problems in stitching?

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    kdog wrote:
    Another gorgeous shot, James.

My question was specifically in using a CP for panos. Doesn't having a gradient in each frame cause problems in stitching?

Cheers,
    -joel

Ahh, ok. Sorry for misunderstanding. :D

I haven't seen a problem in each individual pano frame, no. So long as you don't move the polarizer as you turn the camera, the polarization of the light should remain constant. You could have an overall gradient, like in the image above, but each of the individual frames should be fine. I will mention, though, that as with any pano, you need to use Manual mode and lock the shutter and aperature.

James
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Thanks, James! I appreciate you sharing your wisdom, and the results are spectacular. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    bowdown.gif

That's all I really have to say! We can always count on such stunning landscapes from you and the rough west. These are definitely up to our expectations!
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Amazing work! bowdown.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    The Mack wrote:
    Thanks for making me feel like crap when I look at my files :)

Awesome pictures, congrats!!!!!

Thanks! I'm glad that you enjoyed checking them out, and I am certain that your shots are not crap. thumb.gif

James
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Hi James,

This is very nice work. My kind of stuff. Well done.

Tom

Thank you Tom. My kind of stuff too. :D I could live, eat, and breath 24x7 out there in the mountains. wings.gif

James
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    James, these are fantastic! Do you use any kind of pano bracket?

Cuong

Hi Cuong,

No, I don't use a bracket at all. I generally shoot my panos vertically, and use a tripod as often as possible. I will occassionally shoot handheld as well. I normally don't have too much trouble stitching them.

Thanks for your comments!

James
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Wow! Just Wow. I thought I had a favorite picked (the first) only to scroll down and find more and more incredible shots! Great compositions. The stream with a 10 shot compilation is astounding! I don't know how you managed that without seams.
    E

Thank you! :D The stream shot was kind of complicated in both shooting, and in stitching, but the end result made it all worth it. The biggest challenges in a shot like that is ensuring consistant camera settings over the whole scene, and also making sure you get enough overlap for the stitching software to work it's magic.

James