Canadian U18 boys soccer nationals

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Sports
My sons team recently competed at, and won gold, the U18 youth soccer national championships.

I took about 4 gig of photos per game, plus or minus, except the final...where I think I got close to 3 times that many!!! We also took a day trip to Niagara Falls.

My favorites...and I will try to be very selective here:

395211394_zq8UM-L-1.jpg

395224474_Kx8Xb-L-1.jpg

395364361_yAVFS-L-1.jpg

396813015_ZXKZr-L.jpg

397197211_iSoTe-L.jpg

397223751_9PLAS-L.jpg

397227161_e9rXZ-L.jpg

397466573_H5KZT-L.jpg

and "Game Face"
397134227_aXNQt-L.jpg

Comments

• DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Very nice Ann! Love #4 and #8, although I would like to see 8 cropped a bit tighter. Great capture though.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Dano wrote:
    Very nice Ann! Love #4 and #8, although I would like to see 8 cropped a bit tighter. Great capture though.

Thanks! I suppose I should try a square crop on #8. I try to keep the crops simple -> one of 3 choices (2:3, 1:1 or 4:10) so i don't have to recrop if anyone every buys one. Course, that is my kid making that save, so the fact I even caught it is remarkable!

ann
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    great shots. How much faster is the action at this level vs the little kids that you some times shoot mwink.gif

Great capture of your son making the save - too bad the ball isn't just a touch higher so you can see more of his face, but the full on action, high in the air is cool.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Fun series! Did player #9 score with that shot in photo 4? Looks like he is about to strike a missile! :D
    edited October 22, 2008
    Hi Colleen

Well, the action is fast. Not only are these guys that much older, stronger and faster, they are also very skilled. My shooting has grown up with this team, and I am shooting them with a 1DMkIIN, which is a VERRRRY fast camera. I think that really helps.

For whatever reason, this game I didn't freeze when the play was approaching our net. I've got at least 4 quality saves by him.

Thanks!

ann
    Frog Lady wrote:
    great shots. How much faster is the action at this level vs the little kids that you some times shoot mwink.gif

Great capture of your son making the save - too bad the ball isn't just a touch higher so you can see more of his face, but the full on action, high in the air is cool.

cheers,

C.
    edited October 22, 2008
    bike21 wrote:
    Fun series! Did player #9 score with that shot in photo 4? Looks like he is about to strike a missile! :D

I don't think he scored that time - I believe the goalie saved it. He did score that game though, in brand new expensive shoes. I told his mom that the shoes had proven 'priceless'rolleyes1.gif

ann
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    great action and timing - this age is indeed very hard to capture consistently - you did a great job!
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Colleen

Well, the action is fast. Not only are these guys that much older, stronger and faster, they are also very skilled. My shooting has grown up with this team, and I am shooting them with a 1DMkIIN, which is a VERRRRY fast camera. I think that really helps.

For whatever reason, this game I didn't freeze when the play was approaching our net. I've got at least 4 quality saves by him.

Thanks!

ann

Your son has played keeper how long and you still freeze when the ball approaches the net rolleyes1.gif (I can laugh, I do the same thing, but I thought it was something you would kind of grow out of)

So it there really that much of a difference between the xxD series and the 1DMkIIN for shooting sports? Does the lens talk to the camera faster to help it capture focus? Can you describe the tangibles of upgrading cameras?

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited October 22, 2008
    bobcool wrote:
    great action and timing - this age is indeed very hard to capture consistently - you did a great job!

Thanks, bobcool!

ann
    edited October 22, 2008
    Yep, full time keeper since U14 and then at least half time in the years prior, and I still do the 'mom freeze'! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

So, I don't know the actual measurements as in frames per second or write speed or buffer capacity etc. You can find that on line though.

The 1dMkIIN is really fast. I may be wrong, but I believe it is the 'cadillac' sports camera. (of course there are so many new and improved models out there and I haven't kept up - but the N is/was sports specific). This model is relatively affordable used (compared to the new release 1dMkIII for example) and there is no way I'd give mine up now!
    I do have one problem with it - and that is that it is so fast and seems to be so accurate at focusing, that I now get way too many keeper shots!!! Next step is to learn to be more selective at what I keep I guess.

Are you going to the dgrin party in December? I could show you mine there.

ann

Frog Lady wrote:
    Your son has played keeper how long and you still freeze when the ball approaches the net rolleyes1.gif (I can laugh, I do the same thing, but I thought it was something you would kind of grow out of)

So it there really that much of a difference between the xxD series and the 1DMkIIN for shooting sports? Does the lens talk to the camera faster to help it capture focus? Can you describe the tangibles of upgrading cameras?

cheers,

C.