A butterfly macro from today

midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in Holy Macro
Here is a of butterfly shot from today. I have only been shooting macro for a month and a half or so and I really appreciate C&C. It helps me learn. thanks for viewing.
If you care more about the gear you use that the pictures you take, you have a problem:D

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    You did well to get so close and in focus on the eye. Good shot.
    Little bit of an awkward angle with the butterfly facing slightly away from you.
    I normally try to avoid dark backgrounds when using flash by trying to get an angle with some foliage close by but it's a matter of personal taste and not always possible.
  • midnight ridermidnight rider Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    I am not very fond of the angle or the dark background either but it was very skittish. As soon as the shutter clicked two times off it went and I went a chasing. After about 3 rounds of that I had 10 photos or so and it got left alone so we both won.
    I am in the market for a good flash bracket. Right now I am using a piece of all thread to hold my ball head on my tripod ring so not much flash freedom. I had the manfrotto 233B and it was to long for practical applications. Any suggestions?

Oh and thanks for the comment
    If you care more about the gear you use that the pictures you take, you have a problem:D
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    I am not very fond of the angle or the dark background either but it was very skittish. As soon as the shutter clicked two times off it went and I went a chasing. After about 3 rounds of that I had 10 photos or so and it got left alone so we both won.
    I am in the market for a good flash bracket. Right now I am using a piece of all thread to hold my ball head on my tripod ring so not much flash freedom. I had the manfrotto 233B and it was to long for practical applications. Any suggestions?

Oh and thanks for the comment

Yes thought that might be the case with the butterfly.
    Difficult with flash brackets- not that many at a reasonable price sutable for macro. Both my brackets are a bit DIY but the nearest thing to them is
    a Hakuba LH-1 ballhead available on Ebay but I gather the ballhead really needs replacing with a slighlty larger one preferably with a male 1/4" fitting to fit in the bottom of any off camera flash cord.
    Lots of ideas in this forum thread http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142566
    but suspect you may need to join to see it.

Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 22, 2008
    agree with Brian, angle needs to be from front facing eyes or from side.
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/