True Grit Fall Colors

PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited October 27, 2008 in Landscapes
Sometimes in capturing a great view, I tend to wonder if there is a better perspective, or a more interesting shot nearby that maybe I could have utilized in my quest to capture nature and landscapes.

On a recent awesome fall day in the San Juans in Colorado, I ran into just such a problem. I had been shooting all day after a clearing storm and the clouds were setting up for a stunning finale. Even two hours before sunset, I could tell that this sunset was going to be a dandy.
I had my eye on what I thought would be a better view than the photo below, however it was a much further travel down the dirt road and I wasnt guaranteed to get the gap on the horizon in that direction.

So I stayed at my location for an extra hour, which allowed me to truly take in the entire scene and watch the light play off beautiful Chimney Peak. It also allowed me to explore all of my options by walking all over the famed meadow and properly frame the photo the way I thought would be best. Anyway, here is the result of my labor. I'll never know if the view from down the road would have been better, but I'm glad I stayed in place and got to know this spot, the famed shootout scene in John Wayne's classic movie "True Grit". :thumb

ISO 100 3.2 second exposure, reverse grad ND .9 filter @ 50mm
390188432_LcFDx-L-1.jpg
Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
Master Of Sushi Noms
Amateur CSS Dork

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    eek7.gif

Absolutely stunning colors and light!!! Well worth the wait. The sight of such great foliage couple with the snow is just chilling. But in a good way.

Oh how I wish I were there!
  • thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Great capture Pez clap.gifclap.gif A little futher in the season and those trees would be at peak (or bare via the wind).
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Beauty! Wonderfully composed, and you nailed the colors. Your choice in sticking it out where you were was a good one.

I was checking out your galleries, and it looks like we took some of the same paths in the past few weeks:

http://www.pezpix.com/gallery/4762734_DFV8U#294962798_hma5H-A-LB

398950743_n82Ff-X3.jpg

http://www.pezpix.com/gallery/3517235_RbmGB#294534384_r3YWp

396949994_4ihzg-XL.jpg

You have an incredible gallery of Fall colors! I wish I had been able to visit half the spots you did. Awesome job. wings.gif

James
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Thanks James! It looks like you had a great time as well! I know the fall colors along the East coast are legendary, but there is something so magical about the colors in the San Juans and the Rockies as well. Thanks for the comments and maybe I'll see ya out this next fall bro! Cheers! thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited October 26, 2008
    fantastic shots, I love em clap.gifAAA.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Beautiful shot, looks like you made the right choice!

I often find myself wondering if I should stay or try another spot during the magic hour(s), usually I just stay put because I've gotten burned more than once missing out on the good light while looking for a new spot. After the good light is over I sometimes go exploring further to see if I can find a better location for the next time (easier to do after sunrise than sunset!).

Anyway, great photo and great location.