Top Fuel Drag Racing

SwedeSwede Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 23, 2008 in Sports
I went to a drag race for the first time Sunday at Rockingham. You have never heard anything until you hear one of these cars run. I'm still pretty new at this so any comments on these pictures are welcome. They are located at:

http://swedeimages.smugmug.com/gallery/6325656_8AUg7//398885874_oZ8T7

Comments

• MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    You have some great shots on the gallery. I really like the "wheels up" pro stock and the "hatch open" Excavator funny car. Oh, and the spotter ain't bad either. :D

I was at The Rock two weeks ago shooting for the Harley drags, and Bruce Litton was there testing his TF dragster. It was an awesome experience standing maybe 25 feet to the left rear of the car (just to the left of the water box) when he launched the car, and to feel the awesome sound and pressure wave of 8000 HP coming to life.
  • South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    Yeah, I had a similar experience some years ago when John Force showed up to do a promo weekend at nearby St. Thomas Dragway. He and a couple other top fuelers had the weekend off or whatever so they were doing some PR and picking up some side cash. We took up about 30 feet from the starting line and when the two beasts let loose the sounds/pressure was obnoxiously deafening. I recall recoiling from the "concussion" in time to look up and see they had both gone through the traps already at some 5 seconds. Incredible.

As for the shot, looks good. Personally, I would prefer a tighter crop to the race car itself, but that's just me.
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • SwedeSwede Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    You have some great shots on the gallery. I really like the "wheels up" pro stock and the "hatch open" Excavator funny car. Oh, and the spotter ain't bad either. :D

I was at The Rock two weeks ago shooting for the Harley drags, and Bruce Litton was there testing his TF dragster. It was an awesome experience standing maybe 25 feet to the left rear of the car (just to the left of the water box) when he launched the car, and to feel the awesome sound and pressure wave of 8000 HP coming to life.

Mike,
    It was actually your post on the bikes that got me looking and made me realize that the Top Fuelers where there. I had missed the one here in Charlotte due to a family emergency. By the way, congrats on that great shot and the picture of the week.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Nice shots, Swede, you have a good variety of subjects in your gallery. I try to get down to Englishtown for the NHRA Nationals, and I know what you mean - when the Top Fuel cars launch, you feel it in addition to hearing it!

Good work!
  • SwedeSwede Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks, Considering I new nothing about photography 3 month ago(other than the green square) I feel like i've improved a lot and lucky enough to have a variety of things to practice on. I met this guy on an Alaskan Cruise in August and he has been a big help giving me pointers thru email(http://johncaputo.smugmug.com/). I read a few books as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to make a little Money at it so I can keep buying new stuff.