Options

Florida Scrub Jays

IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Wildlife
Today, October 21, 2008 JimK and I visited the Helen and Allan Cruickshank Sanctuary, in Rockledge, Florida. For Sanctuary information and driving directions see: http://flwildlife.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=wildlifeareas&action=display&thread=254

A number of different birds were observed including Florida Scrub Jays (several had leg bands), Blue Jays, Eastern Towhee, Warblers, Doves, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Belted Kingfisher, Bald Eagle, and some hawks. Also observed were several Bobcat and Raccoon tracks.

By far, the most abundant bird species present at the location were Florida Scrub Jays as evidenced by these photos..........

FloridaScrubJay_0805.jpg

FloridaScrubJay_0790.jpg

FloridaScrubJay_0779.jpg

FloridaScrubJay_0771.jpg

FloridaScrubJay_0811.jpg

FloridaScrubJay_0764.jpg

Comments

• Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    beautiful. what are they eating?
    Angela
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    spechtal wrote:
    beautiful. what are they eating?

It's an acorn from a oak tree.
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    I love scrub jays! These are great pics, glad to hear they're fairly abundant. clap.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    JenGrace wrote:
    I love scrub jays! These are great pics, glad to hear they're fairly abundant. clap.gif

Well, that's not really the fact. When I was a small boy in the 1950's, Scrub Jays were abundant and everywhere. I remember that we played marbles in the dirt road in front of our house, and the Scrub Jays would swoop in and steal our marbles.

Nowdays, to see Scrub Jays you have to hunt for them..........
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Very nice series. We don't get to see these birds around here.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    IraRunyan wrote:
    Well, that's not really the fact. When I was a small boy in the 1950's, Scrub Jays were abundant and everywhere. I remember that we played marbles in the dirt road in front of our house, and the Scrub Jays would swoop in and steal our marbles.

Darn, I'd hoped they were making a come back. Yet another species that may become extinct in our lifetime.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    IraRunyan wrote:

Ira,

Awesome shots. Scrub Jays can be a real challenge to capture.

Not sure if you're aware of it, but the Florida Scrub Jay is listed as a threaten species by the State of Florida. Since they only live in Florida and don't migrate that means they're in big trouble.

I've shot (camera) them in open scrub land and they are an amazing bird. Very trusting of people...too trusting. They don't adapt well to changes in their habitat and development is slowly shrinking their range. Sad story.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2008
    SunGlo wrote:
    Ira,

Awesome shots. Scrub Jays can be a real challenge to capture.

Not sure if you're aware of it, but the Florida Scrub Jay is listed as a threaten species by the State of Florida. Since they only live in Florida and don't migrate that means they're in big trouble.

I've shot (camera) them in open scrub land and they are an amazing bird. Very trusting of people...too trusting. They don't adapt well to changes in their habitat and development is slowly shrinking their range. Sad story.

Phil

Yes, the Florida Scrub Jay is listed as a threatened species. These shots were taken at Helen and Allan Cruickshank Sanctuary, in Rockledge, Florida, a small peice of scrub land purchased by the Brevard County EEL program and the State of Florida to set aside habitat for the species.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Sweet captures Ira. thumb.gif Those EELs purchase have done so much to preserve some of our local habitats.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    Great set of an endangered bird! I am glad to see that at least in pockets this species is still being allowed to survive.