Squared cropped portraits (6)

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in People
Lately my right finger has been quiet and I have not been shooting much as I should.
But I have been re-organizing my site sellecting only what I think to be the very best photos and I came to the conclusion that I had some good portraits.
I went back in the archives and discovered some nice pictures which I have cropped in the square format.
As I liked some of them I decided to start a project where I will place all the photos under the same format.
I show you some of those pictures.
I start with my own mother, my uncle and - for a change - some young people I shot 2 years ago, ending with a recent one.
Thank you for watching.
1. 398315152_RxFWW-M.jpg
2. 393439043_wU4hg-M-1.jpg
3. 399359580_hygYG-M.jpg
4. 398317216_WxpWA-M.jpg
5. 398315241_dEW8f-M.jpg
398315515_RyvnQ-M.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    These are very nice, I think I like the picture of your uncle bestclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    frg wrote:
    These are very nice, I think I like the picture of your uncle bestclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

bowdown.gifD
    This is an endless project as I hope to be able to kep on doing this kind of pictures for very very long time...
    But don't you like the black and white portrait ? Kind of "vulgar/trivial/common style" rolleyes1.gif
    Thank you for the comment. Have a nice day ! :D
    Cheers :D
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    I love what the crop does to the photos. Very nice selection of photos.:D
    edited October 22, 2008
    I love what the crop does to the photos. Very nice selection of photos.:D

bowdown.gif Julie. Polaroid style mwink.gifwink
    :D
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Cool-- those first two especially. Nice job.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Antonio,

I really like your concept for this series. It seems not too many photographers work with a square crop. One master portrait photographer who often did to great effect was Irving Penn. Here's a link to one his portraits of Picasso:

http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photography.com/02/artphotogallery/database/penn01.jpg

I especially like the pictures of your parents and the last b&w. There's a lot of character and personality revealed in these images. #3 and #4 are nice images, but the square crop doesn't work as strongly, since it cuts the anatomy of the young people in awkward places.

Thanks for sharing.clap.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Nice photos. I especially like the soft light in #2 ... the baby & the last one, dramatic light clap.gif
    edited October 23, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Cool-- those first two especially. Nice job.

Thank you Pete.
    I do have seen your own portraits and I found them to be very pleasant.
    Your set could perfectly be tailored to this polaroid style.:D
    :Dthumb.gif
    edited October 23, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Antonio,

I really like your concept for this series. It seems not too many photographers work with a square crop. One master portrait photographer who often did to great effect was Irving Penn. Here's a link to one his portraits of Picasso:http://www.masters-of-fine-art-photography.com/02/artphotogallery/database/penn01.jpg I especially like the pictures of your parents and the last b&w. There's a lot of character and personality revealed in these images. #3 and #4 are nice images, but the square crop doesn't work as strongly, since it cuts the anatomy of the young people in awkward places. Thanks for sharing.clap.gif

I thank you for commenting.:D

Yes, that Picasso photo by Irving Penn is very nice indeed !

As you may understand I knew it already but it did not came to my mind so far. :D

I don't know if it happens to you (why shouldn't it ?) but quite often I know dgriners not by the name but their avatars. And sometimes when I see their pictures I say: Oh, it's this one ! rolleyes1.gif

It is not important but the 1.st is my mother and the 2.ed is her brother, my uncle.

Cheers ! :Dthumb.gif
    edited October 23, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Nice photos. I especially like the soft light in #2 ... the baby & the last one, dramatic light clap.gif

Hello. Good morning. :D
    The baby was shot with an humbrella adn this is the reason it is so soft. Any way the photo has also some work on LR to make it tender and sweet.

The last one is good I agree. As I said before it was shot inside an old darkroom. All around is black and the flash was coming direct, from the right side.

You do have some brilliant photos ... :D

Take care :Dthumb.gif
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    2 and 5 are awesome portraits regardless of crop, although the crops work too. bowdown.gif

Malte
    edited October 23, 2008
    Malte wrote:
    2 and 5 are awesome portraits regardless of crop, although the crops work too. bowdown.gif Malte

Good morning Sweden :D

You mean an old person and a baby :D
    Thank you for commenting ! :D

You 3D sonogram images available on the slide show are very curious and interesting. I iloveyou.gif that !
    Pretty cool idea for the parents and for the new coming ! :D
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Really nice portraits, Antonio. I've never tried a square crop before but I just might have to. I really like the look it adds to the photo. I think my favourite is #2. :)

-- Lisa P.
    edited October 23, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    Really nice portraits, Antonio. I've never tried a square crop before but I just might have to. I really like the look it adds to the photo. I think my favourite is #2. :) Lisa P.

Thank you Lisa. :D
    The photo is indeed a nice one and my uncle likes it :D
    Here is another one, recovered from the back-up disk, I worked yesterday evenning.
    Harsh light, no flash
    400050089_4iSbQ-M-1.jpg
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    You mean an old person and a baby :D

Yes, the one with the older man is the best of all I think. Even the deskfan in the background, which should be quite distracting, is easily ignored with a portrait like that. bowdown.gif
    You 3D sonogram images available on the slide show are very curious and interesting. I iloveyou.gif that !
    Pretty cool idea for the parents and for the new coming ! :D

And for future grandma in Australia, she went bananas over those pictures! iloveyou.gif

Malte
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I like the medium format feel to these. I love classic portraiture, and also...now and then...square one up. Thanks for sharing.
    edited October 24, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I like the medium format feel to these. I love classic portraiture, and also...now and then...square one up. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Jeff. :D
    They are part of the project Square cropped portraits as I told before. :D
    449293524_7t2bd-L-7.jpg