Tamron AF28-300mm VC or no VC

clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in Cameras
I'm planning on purchasing some new glass in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if the extra $200.00 was worth forking out for vibration control? I shot mostly sports (indoor and outdoor) and prefer to shoot without a monopod or tripod since I'm always on the move (trying different angles).

Could anyone please post photos that they have taken with the Tamron 28-300mm VC? I have noticed the photos that are shown on Tamron seem a little soft with the VC.

Thanks
Ryan Clemens
www.clemensphotography.us
Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!

Comments

• dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    the newer 28-300 is supposed to have better optics and less CA than the old one. i don't have the old one so i really can't comment however the new VC is a little on the soft side, IMO. it should be noted that i've had AF-locking issues with mine. i can't tell if it's my copy for sure or not. once wedding season is over i'll be sending it in for tamron techs to look into.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I think if you do a lot of indoor sports, having a faster prime may be better at freezing motion than a slower lens with a VC. Outdoors, if you have enough light should be good, but even there, a fast prime will give you a shallower dof, giving the subject better isolation.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Thanks for the input! After looking at all of the images provided by Tamron and your comments I think I'll just get the no VC glass.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!