Options

The Holocaust

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited May 7, 2005 in Landscapes
All this week events have been going on regarding the anniversary of this horrible event from our past. You can read about this in books, you can see it on TV, and in movies. But the visit that I made today to the memorial in Miami Beach

had the most impact on me regarding the suffering and pain that the Jewish people suffered at the hands of Adolf Hitler and his evil empire.

Some shots from today

A View From The Street

21350412-M.jpg

As you enter the memorial you come upon this statue

21350411-M.jpg

A Reflection

21350414-M.jpg

Pictures From The Past

21350416-M.jpg

The Walk

21350417-M.jpg

A Child

21350420-M.jpg

The Hand

21350421-M.jpg

The Names

21350423-M.jpg

One Of Millions

21350424-M.jpg

Shadow Of Death

21333893-M.jpg

The title of this picture was decided for two reasons. First, above this woman's head is Psalm 23

21350428-L.jpg

Second, I'm not a doctor so I cannot say whether or not this woman had a medical condition or was under the influence of something, but she definitly had some issues. As I was photographing the memorial she walked through the long hallway and proceeded to start spitting on the statues. It was one of those instances where the amazement at what she was doing had me dumbfounded and the inability to lift my camera to capture another disgusting moment in time. Instead I told her what I thought and watched her take that long walk and captured her in the above photo.
Then I Got Security, Freakin Nut!
One Final One

21350888-M.jpg

Joe B

Comments

• Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Hi Joe,

I have only been in Florida for 1 1/2 years... and have yet to visit the southern part of the state. Still so much to explore in this beautiful state. When I have the opportunity to travel to the Miami Beach area, I will most certainly visit this memorial. I had no idea this memorial even existed.

Thanks for sharing your story and images.
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    You captured the essence of what memorials should be about; making an emotional connection with the past (good,bad,ugly). Very well done series, unique shots, thanks for sharing.

AJ
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 5, 2005
    very nice set and very moving. thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    Nice set!! Not only photographically but also invoking such emotion in the viewer(s) of this post, including myself.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Wonderful, evocative captures. I particularly like "The Names." It is so hard to effectively capture this sort of memorial and you really did it. clap.gif And now I understand the title "Shadow of Death." Thanks for sharing. Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Your photos certainly captured the emotions of the place. That's what it's all about. thumb.gif
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Your photos certainly captured the emotions of the place. That's what it's all about. thumb.gif
    Thank you, to pilgrim to a place gives one the sense of place. This was shot beautifully here, but it lacks the personal touch.

I have a favourite piece of sculpture, it is not widely known, so when I saw it, I sat down for 1/2 an hour and did not move, I wept at the pain of the figure. I believe i would have had the same experience here with 21350420-M.jpg

I have never seen this before, I know it would hurt to see this in person, thank you for showing it to me

Stan
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    Excellent series of photographs. I very much felt some of what I can only imagine was the extent of the emotion you experienced at this place.
    Thank you for sharing them.

Erich
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2005
    Joe,

This is a very moving series that you have presented. I was not aware that this memorial existed before now.

Thanks,

Susan