Options

Can't get new Pata seagate 500gb to show up

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Having major trouble getting a new Seagate Barracuda 500gb to show up in my computer.

I always run drives as cable select and that has worked for every drive I have ever had.....this one is a no show.....went into Device manager and itsays it is working properly......so I pulled it and my C drive and changed to master ("C") drive and slave.....still a no show........

I am stumped.:scratch help please:bow
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    What are we looking at? IDE I'm guessing?

There's also the possibility (particularly from a big box store) that it's simply DOA. If that's the case they'll refund or replace for free.

If it's a IDE drive and cable select didn't get it straight you're probably looking at either a bad cable or bad drive. Just becuase it posts does not mean the OS can use it (as you may be observing.) I'd try it in another box then exchange it if the problem continues.
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    What are we looking at? IDE I'm guessing?

There's also the possibility (particularly from a big box store) that it's simply DOA. If that's the case they'll refund or replace for free.

If it's a IDE drive and cable select didn't get it straight you're probably looking at either a bad cable or bad drive. Just becuase it posts does not mean the OS can use it (as you may be observing.) I'd try it in another box then exchange it if the problem continues.

YES IDE......................

So even tho when I run trouble shoot it comes back as device is running properly.....it could still be doa.....Hmmmmm.......My first bad Seagate...Oh off for an exchange I guess....that could be why it is getting hotter than my c drive.....Oh guess I forgot to post that I had tried 3 different, new cables also.

Thanks IWTK.thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Interaction with the OS is governed by the on-board software inside the drive. Even if the drive is not spinning the software could be working correctly. I would think that the S.M.A.R.T. would pick it up, but if it's somehow disabled it (obviously) would not help.

However. I just remember it could be another problem. If you have a really old machine it may not immediately recognize drives that large. The bios just can't.

Again, when in doubt stick it in a different box and see what you get. OR, download a linux live CD and see if it can boot the drive. Knoppix and Ubuntu are favorites, and Knoppix has utilities to test things like this built right in (not that they're hard to get running in Ubuntu.) If you get it to boot correctly use linux to force a full format to FAT32, then reboot into windows. If it shows up fine you can then use the manage interface to convert it to NTFS (assuming you're XP/Vista).

WARNING!!!! IF YOU'RE USING THE ABOVE METHOD UNPLUG YOUR REGULAR DRIVE. IT'S NOT WORTH RISKING ITS DATA IF YOU'RE UNFAMILIAR WITH LINUX !!!!WARNING

I too only purchase Seagate drives as long as their prices are competitive. However, when purchasing drives from Staples and Best Buy the DOA rate (for me) has been many many times higher. Not sure why, but now I always order from NewEgg unless it's an emergency.

I'm heading to bed - hope you get it working!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Did you go into Disk Management and initialize and format the drive?
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    All Is Good Now......whew
    Cato wrote:
    Did you go into Disk Management and initialize and format the drive?

:D:D:D:D:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow:D:D:D:D rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrofl rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

that WAS an area I had never heard of before......after re-reading every thing at Seagate Support....I finall did a search for DM and finally ran the wizards forthis and namingthe volume also........

I had always just plug them in an VIOLA they were there.....hell I didn't even know I could somewhat name theactual volume (d, e, f, g...etc etc).....so now Ineed to turn off all my extenals and rename this volume.....but I learned something and that is good.

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    :D:D:D:D:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow:D:D:D:D rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrofl rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

that WAS an area I had never heard of before......after re-reading every thing at Seagate Support....I finall did a search for DM and finally ran the wizards forthis and namingthe volume also........

I had always just plug them in an VIOLA they were there.....hell I didn't even know I could somewhat name theactual volume (d, e, f, g...etc etc).....so now Ineed to turn off all my extenals and rename this volume.....but I learned something and that is good.

Depends on where you get the drives. Some come already partitioned and formatted. This may be the case if you buy from a main retailer. Every one I have ever gotten from newegg I have had to create a partition and then format. Just an fyi! :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Yeah that is the difference between retail and OEM drives...OEMs are cheaper, but you often have to initialize them (sometimes format) with the drive manafacturer tool ( real OEMs just image, which applies formatting at same time). Some retail and all external drives are already formated often with FAT32.
  • Options
    CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    YAY! Returning stuff is such a PITA.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.