Autumn in Washington State

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited October 28, 2008 in Landscapes
From assorted places within 2 hours of Seattle (Snoqualmie River #1, Washington Park Arboretum #2-5, Kubota Gardens #6, and random locations along US-2 on the way to Leavenworth #7-13).

There's at least two more weeks of color, after which I'll drop dead of exhaustion :D

#1:

398243175_K7ZE3-L.jpg

#2:

398215329_ULXas-L.jpg

#3:

398223488_Qzb6t-L.jpg

#4:

398226329_gMV3v-L.jpg

#5:

398234471_7nviz-L.jpg

#6:

398236969_W9jKi-L.jpg

#7:

400396769_eM9Hz-L.jpg

#8:

400406576_7gB5i-L.jpg

#9:

400409526_DBkeY-L.jpg

#10:

400415480_6Q3BY-L.jpg

#11:

400417729_Bpqm9-L.jpg

#12:

400421774_ybSZu-L.jpg

#13:

400419698_X8g8o-L.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Ooooooo Baby! I am so digging those colors! Beautiful dude....just beautiful.clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Awesome Ron. Impossible to pick a favourite as they all occupy 1st place IMO.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #5 & #11

#11 (try and see if you can edit out the electrical lines in the BG) Way to good of a moody feel to let those draw your eye in.

clap.gifthumb.gif :ivar
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    :jawdrop Ow, my jaw hurts from hitting the floor.

Another incredible series. #11 is simply breathtaking. thumb.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #5 = clap.gif

All are great, as usual, but 5 is AWESOME!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #3 is my fav, Ron your just like the energizer bunny.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Awesome pictures as always. I very much like #9 and #11!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    I agree with the others. You just continue to hit them out of the park, Ron. Those back-lit trees are to die for. clap.gif Keep 'em coming.

-joel
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited October 23, 2008
    wonderfull series Ron, like #11 best but hard call!
    our colours just getting started now.
    phil
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Great job! Every one of these is wonderful. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

One thing I really missed while shooting fall colors in Colorado was the reds. Lots and lots of yellows there, but not many reds. Looks like I need to come to Oregon sometime. :D

James
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I agree that the power lines on #11 should be removed, this was the 17th best composition I had for that scene but unfortunately 1-16 wouldn't work because of other obstacles (power poles, buildings). I figured I could remove the power lines later and promptly forgot about them as you see. It was taken at sunrise yesterday, I had no intention of taking a sunrise shot, I just wanted to leave early enough so that when I got to my destination(s) the light wouldn't be as harsh. But when I saw the fog I scrambled for about 15 minutes looking for a spot to set up.

Almost all of the native deciduous trees in Washington go yellow/gold (we even have a conifer (the larch) that thinks its a deciduous tree and turns yellow and drops all its needles), the reds are either from planted trees (like the Japanese maples at the arboretum) or from shrubs/bushes like huckleberry which turn red in early October at the higher elevations.
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Ron, awesome shots, and such vibrant color. I like them all, but #5 does pull me in and hold me. I think it is because I like that kind of close shot and isolation. The leaf speaks tons to me. I truly appreciate your photos Ron, thanks.

gassho,

Nacho
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
    edited October 24, 2008
    Nacho wrote:
    Ron, awesome shots, and such vibrant color. I like them all, but #5 does pull me in and hold me. I think it is because I like that kind of close shot and isolation. The leaf speaks tons to me. I truly appreciate your photos Ron, thanks.

gassho,

Nacho

Thanks! I did the same type of shot last year, basically I found a bunch of leaves, and then found a main subject leaf and turned it around and carefully arranged them all together (yeah, it's cheating). The shot is a merge of 3 exposures. The great thing about autumn is that even after the leaves fall there's a lot to shoot :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    bowdown.gif

again bowdown.gif

Just another spectacular series from you.

I am heading that way in March how much notice do you need to ensure I can shoot with you? deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited October 24, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    bowdown.gif

again bowdown.gif

Just another spectacular series from you.

I am heading that way in March how much notice do you need to ensure I can shoot with you? deal.gif

A few hours would be nice :D Assuming I'm not on-call (about one week every month) and it's a weekend there's good chance I'll be out shooting anyway. Not exactly sure what stuff to shoot in March (Olympic National Park should be good, both the rainforest and the beaches, the standard Seattle skylines, several waterfalls). The daffodil and tulip fields bloom in April, and most higher elevation trails will still be under snow, but there's still plenty of stuff out there.
  • work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    Absolutely stunning shots!
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    where in washington do you live? i am on whidbey island and id love to shoot with you sometime since i am new to photography. send me a pm sometime! i was just completely blown away by your shots!
    edited October 27, 2008
    where in washington do you live? i am on whidbey island and id love to shoot with you sometime since i am new to photography. send me a pm sometime! i was just completely blown away by your shots!

Thanks! I'm in Bellevue, my shooting schedule is rather chaotic and highly impulsive, so don't expect more than a few minutes notice if any :D

There's a lot of northwest photographers on dgrin, we should probably do an informal shootout at some point. If anyone wants to organize it, sign me up!
    edited October 27, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks! I'm in Bellevue, my shooting schedule is rather chaotic and highly impulsive, so don't expect more than a few minutes notice if any :D

There's a lot of northwest photographers on dgrin, we should probably do an informal shootout at some point. If anyone wants to organize it, sign me up!

I think I would love that actually! I am very new to photography so I doubt I would produce anything mind blowing like yours though! Do you ever come up here and shoot near Whidbey Island?
  • Aaron JorsAaron Jors Registered Users Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Great shots and colors.
    edited October 28, 2008
    I think I would love that actually! I am very new to photography so I doubt I would produce anything mind blowing like yours though! Do you ever come up here and shoot near Whidbey Island?

No, I haven't (yet). I've been meaning to check out Deception Pass and surroundings, but the closest I got was Anacortes (heading to the San Juans). There's so many awesome parts of the state that I haven't been too let alone photographed. I'm envious of all that shoreline though...
    edited October 28, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    No, I haven't (yet). I've been meaning to check out Deception Pass and surroundings, but the closest I got was Anacortes (heading to the San Juans). There's so many awesome parts of the state that I haven't been too let alone photographed. I'm envious of all that shoreline though...

well if you ever decide to shoot up at Whidbey Island shoot me a pm with atleast a half days notice and we can meet up and you can show me the pro moves!