Options

Portraits on Train Tracks

Comments

• Options
    EarthDogEarthDog Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Just curious. Does this place have any rules about ridiculing and attacking people in these forums, or hijacking their threads?

I'm kinda new around here, so I don't know if people are getting away with breaking the rules, or if it's okay to be abusive and behave like spoiled brats. I do know it makes a very bad impression.
    Once upon a time, they all lived happily ever after.
  • Options
    barrywbarryw Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Uh - does anyone have any stats on how many photographers and/or models that have been hit by a train, say in the last five years or so?

Just wondering...

Barry
    Experience - the thing you get just after you need it! :scratch :dunno

www.familychateau.smugmug.com
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    Just curious. Does this place have any rules about ridiculing and attacking people in these forums, or hijacking their threads?

I'm kinda new around here, so I don't know if people are getting away with breaking the rules, or if it's okay to be abusive and behave like spoiled brats. I do know it makes a very bad impression.

There is not really a rule about hijacking threads but this is not the norm. It is a world wide forum on the web. If someone makes a post similar to the OP stuff like this is bound to happen.

If you have been on other forums you know this is pretty tame to what can occur.

We prefer to post pictures and receive feedback and critiques. If someone criticizes the way people do their photography they should be prepared to face some ribbing and criticizing of their own.

Try not to take it too personal. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2008
    If you want you can search the Federal Railroad Admiistration website.

http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/officeofsafety/publicsite/Query/stchart.aspx

There are quite a few deaths but it doesn't go into case by case specifics so there is no way to tell if photographers had any impact at all in these deaths.

You know there is also movies and television to consider when trying to place blame for ignorance. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    We prefer to post pictures and receive feedback and critiques. If someone criticizes the way people do their photography they should be prepared to face some ribbing and criticizing of their own.
    Try not to take it too personal. deal.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    And try not to push it too hard, otherwise it may end up like this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=512700 mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 25, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:

It is not OK. Happily, most of the time we don't have any problem at all. When someone steps out of line, other members will generally speak up. On rare occasions, a moderator will intervene to edit or delete posts, and if bad behavior continues, those responsible may be banned from the forum.
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    You guys are the worst. Poor guy is sharing his train-phobia with us and you all make jokes. rolleyes1.gif

All jokes aside. I don't see the problem with living a little dangerously, it makes it beautiful to live. Ladytx did a railroad shooting with her marque model, and those pictures wouldn't have come out better anywhere else.

Safety is a concern, but what you are recommending is rediculous. And for the record, if you can take a baby out in the middle of a sunny day, you can shoot them with flash. If your flash is more powerful than the sun, tell me what brand and model it is. I need that! LoL
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:

Yes there are rules,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's slanderous to make vile accusations of abuse against the fine people here, and to call them vile names like "spoiled brat's" is horrible, and uncalled for.

Sam
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Blaker wrote:
    Ok, I might be flamed for this , but I have to express how disturbed I am by the current trend of taking portraits on train tracks. Sure the final photo looks good, but it is still very dangerous and you are taking a huge risk whenever you do this. Even if you have the train schedule, there are times when unscheduled maintenance trains use the tracks, and if the wind is blowing the wrong way, you often can not hear the train until it is too late to move out of the way, especially if you are working with little kids.

That is another thing- even if you tell little kids not to play on the tracks, if you then bring them to a train track and have them play and pose for a while during the photo shoot, they will then, in their little minds, think that it is ok to play on the tracks- and this could end up in a huge tragedy.
    Also, if they see photos of others posed on train tracks, they will again think it must not be dangerous, and could end up with a tragic death or disfigurement.

I live in the northeast , and believe me, we still get news reports every now and then of people being hit by trains. It is not something to be taken lightly.

Are you being serious?headscratch.gif

Look at the statistics? I guess no one should ever do any lightning photography either or be outdoors during a storm?! How about playing street hockey and yelling "car" when one comes along?

Boy, whatever happened to just being aware of your surroundings? If the wind is blowing so hard that you can't hear a train whistle, then obviously that is hazard. If it such a big deal, why don't you just bring another person along just to listen for trains. ne_nau.gif

Nothing like propagating "fear". Just be smart about it is all...
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    For all you on the P.A.T. T. (Photographers againsts Train Tracks) bandwagon...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=244_1224415765
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008

Is it wrong to cheer for the train?

Sam
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    :yikes
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Is it wrong to cheer for the train?

Sam

Not at all Sam... its just evolution taking its course...

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    Laughing.gif
    Oh well, let's hear it for another future Darwin Award winner! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    Interesting tag line: Redefining The Media
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Yes there are rules,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's slanderous to make vile accusations of abuse against the fine people here, and to call them vile names like "spoiled brat's" is horrible, and uncalled for.
    Slander is verbal; in print, it's libel. Either way, the statement has to be false and injurious to qualify.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    It is not OK. Happily, most of the time we don't have any problem at all. When someone steps out of line, other members will generally speak up. On rare occasions, a moderator will intervene to edit or delete posts, and if bad behavior continues, those responsible may be banned from the forum.
    Apparently mild bemusement is contagious, because now I've got it. You seem to be saying that we have rules and that moderators such as yourself can, and do, although rarely, intervene. Yet, there is no intervention, despite your assertion that what's happening here is not OK. headscratch.gif Do you see the contradiction?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited October 27, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:
    Apparently mild bemusement is contagious, because now I've got it. You seem to be saying that we have rules and that moderators such as yourself can, and do, although rarely, intervene. Yet, there is no intervention, despite your assertion that what's happening here is not OK. headscratch.gif Do you see the contradiction?

Not in the least. My standard for what's acceptable is probably different than yours, and other mods have their own thresholds as well. As a matter of fact, I did delete one post from this thread yesterday.

Now why don't we all just get back to discussing photography, OK?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2008
    EarthDog wrote:

The hero cometh forth...

Look, have a sense of humour about this. If someone wants to make light of this, its our right. Nobody is being slanderous or calling the thread starter names.

So... if I post a silly opinion up, then should I be upset when I get silly response? I think its a silly opinion, although blaker does not... guess what? Opinions are like you know what... and yup we both got one! mwink.gif

I've posted up here before and have gotten into verbal sparring matches (AaronNelson... are you there?!), but you need to laugh it off, not get offended (especially when you aren't the person who posted it). It isn't worth it. rolleyes1.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    This is probably triple dangerous...

410839917_BgnZL-L.jpg

408983739_mFkkB-M.jpg

We are on a train bridge at least ~20+ feet in the air balancing on each beam.

No biggie though, I'm sure we'd hear a whistle and have time to gently lower our equipment down and then jump. 11doh.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    On the bridge??? eek7.gif Now that's hardcore, dude! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    jhelms wrote:

No biggie though, I'm sure we'd hear a whistle and have time to gently lower our equipment down and then jump. 11doh.gif

na, your ok, incase of emergency just jump and hang from those wires off to your side.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    mwink.gif Was someone trainspotting?

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    na, your ok, incase of emergancy just jump and hang from those wires off to your side.....

Are you batman?

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Are you batman?

No.. but he did stay at a Holiday Express. mwink.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Just ran across this thread and can't resist posting an image from a couple of years ago.

69915626.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Just ran across this thread and can't resist posting an image from a couple of years ago.
    Laughing.gif! Good one! thumb.gif
    I realized I don't have a single frame with the tracks, so I decided to make due and fill the void. LA girls seem to love the idea, so hopefully I'll have my own material soon:-)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 6, 2008
    The original poster is correct that shooting pictures on train tracks can be dangerous, and should not be entered into lightly. If you are 150 feet in the air, it is even more so.

Big Trestle in Indiana

3248884_gqxh3-M.jpg

3248888_ohmTS-M.jpg

Some of the first shots with my then new 10D.

The trains that cross this particular trestle go very slowly - one can literally walk faster than they travel - I have photographed them crossing standing within three feet of the side of the moving train. I could have easily jumped on board the train as it passed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    The original poster is correct that shooting pictures on train tracks can be dangerous, and should not be entered into lightly. If you are 150 feet in the air, it is even more so.
    And the Trainny goes to.. Jim!!! clap.gif
    150 ft in the air, man!
    The rest of us - tribal council tonight, somebody's going home:-)