I guess I'm first - #11 c&c

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 24, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Judging by the deafening silence (pun intended), I guess I'm not the only one who's having to think hard about this one!

However, this morning I did get to shoot an idea I had. Still need to continue working on the processing (I guess #11 is going to be my "learn all about colour balancing" round.... lol) - I'm not happy with these now I see them against the black of dgrin's skin, and I think I overcooked them a little (was playing around in both PS and picasa, and they're more washed out now they're uploaded).

However, that's easily fixsed. Thoughts on it as a concept? Does it work? All C&C gratefully received, as always!

(edited to add: no photoshop magic or composites involved with these - the clouds are a painted ceiling, and everything else is just the result of the zooming effect. Fwiw...)

lovelylaneorgan-6ss.jpg

2. cropped
lovelylaneorgan-6sscrop.jpg

lovelylaneorgans2a.jpg

lovelylaneorgans2abw.jpg

Comments

• GrlyGrly Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I don't have any C&C other than... NEATO! I like them a lot!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    The concept of a motion blur had not occured to me. I like the idea.

Have you though of instead of doing a zoom with the lens, doing it in photoshop? Get a nice clear crisp image of the pipe organ and surrounding area. In photoshop, duplicate the layer. Do a zoom radial blur of the bottom layer. Put a layer mask on the top layer and start from the outside edges working your way in into the center. This way the center of your image will stay sharp and you still have the sound blast effect. I grabbed an image off of the web and did a real quick and dirty example to show you what I'm talking about.

400835093_wZuE3-L.jpg

Just a thought.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I really like #2 as a pic ... but it just doesn't evoke loud to me. Sound appears in my mind as circular or curved ripples moving outward from the source, and the zoom effect evokes more of a light or motion concept in me.
  • onebaduceonebaduce Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    I really like number 2 as well. Great photo! I love the lack of photo shop as well. As a image conveying sound I don't see it though.

I have been driving my family nuts with scenerios for #11. I have a few good ideas in mind. Going to try this weekend to get some shots.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    #2 is really nice--well done! thumb.gif I've yet to master this zooming effect, so I really envy your application of it.

I have to agree with other feedback that this doesn't denote sound to me, despite the fact I can tell it's an organ. Still a really interesting image, though! :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks all. I think I"ll keep playing around with it; thanks to Kevin I have an idea for raising the volume (and minimising what I think looks like a laser light show!, so we'll see how that plays out....

Thanks!
    edited October 23, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    #2 is really nice--well done! thumb.gif I've yet to master this zooming effect, so I really envy your application of it.

Bwahahahaha "master this zooming effect" - what, you mean practice in my living room using the unsuspecting dog - with NO successful results at all - and then hope to luck and the digital luxury of shooting WAY too many shots once I got there? Yeah, if that's "mastery", then that's what I did all right.... rolleyes1.gif
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Bwahahahaha "master this zooming effect" - what, you mean practice in my living room using the unsuspecting dog - with NO successful results at all - and then hope to luck and the digital luxury of shooting WAY too many shots once I got there? Yeah, if that's "mastery", then that's what I did all right.... rolleyes1.gif

But I only have a cat .. so how am I to master this technique?!! Dammit!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 24, 2008
    ooo...very nice! I like one and two...but two seems to pop more for me. Nice work!thumb.gif
    edited October 24, 2008
    Ok, here's what I wound up with this morning (and KevX, thanks for the comment about using PS to add zoom blur - I didn't even know that was in there until you mentioned and I went digging around the menus. Yay!)

Btw, I copied and pasted the organ keybord console from another (unzoomed) shot in the same series as a new layer to bump up the clarity of that one section. Does anybody know if I need to declare that as a second image for the sake of the rules? It's not, strictly speaking, a composite image - I just used that to patch and touch up what was already there on the original image, but for the sake of full disclosure... Anybody know the position on that?

As always, thoughts and C&C welcomed.

As entered

lovelylaneorgan-7sclonedblurredblue.jpg

same image with different colour processing

lovelylaneorgan-7sclonedblurred.jpg

Other options (I tilted it to decenter it and try to get the console into a compositionally better place, but now that I'm looking at it (and looking at it, and looking at it... ;) I'm thinking it's rather too busy that way....)

surroundsound_filtered.jpg

lovelylaneorgan-7sclonedblurred2b.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Btw, I copied and pasted the organ keybord console from another (unzoomed) shot in the same series as a new layer to bump up the clarity of that one section. Does anybody know if I need to declare that as a second image for the sake of the rules? It's not, strictly speaking, a composite image - I just used that to patch and touch up what was already there on the original image, but for the sake of full disclosure... Anybody know the position on that?

I think that you might have asked this in a different thread, but just to be sure... Yep, got to declare every image used. Might as well anyways just to be on the safe side.

I like your new image btw.

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited October 24, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    I think that you might have asked this in a different thread, but just to be sure... Yep, got to declare every image used. Might as well anyways just to be on the safe side.

I like your new image btw.

— Kevin

Yes (for the record) Emily confirmed that it needs to be included so I have added the information for the second image.

And thanks for the feedback!